Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It means that they've shown some sort of proof to the mods. Either proof that they're an employee, or proof of the news. The idea is that they cannot publicly prove it because that would reveal their identity.

Still possible for the mods to have been fooled, though.
The timing does line up pretty well with all the photos we've been seeing. Even if not launched on Sunday I'd expect the launch to be very soon.

I was poking around last night and all the zip codes I tried had all stock Ys $5000 off. If you ordered, the price was list. My thoughts: Tesla is going to encouraging buying stock vs ordering more like other companies or there is something new coming or both. Or??? Any ideas?
Q1 of each year is the seasonal low for new vehicle purchases - and January in particular. Everyone has just spent their cash on Christmas, it's too cold to go out so car is less relevant, seasonality feeds on itself (fewer leases from previous years coming to an end in Q1).

This might just be the short term clearing price needed to sell full production for the next little while, and Tesla may be trying to avoid dropping the MSRP due to a blip. Last year there were big price reductions around the same time.

Last edited:
Elon didn't decide who to and who not to fire, he had a small group of trusted employees - one of them family member - to vet everyone, I don't remember the exact details, but it's all in Isaacson

But indeed credit to him that he clearly perceived the bloat and acted so fast
I'm a C++ coder with 43 years coding experience. When I talk to other coders in the same age group, we all agree that the twitter firings were a LONG time coming, and much needed. Experienced, motivated developers have come to HATE the way tech companies are run (Tesla/SpaceX excluded). The amount of waste and laziness and incompetence is staggering. The only shocking thing about firing 80% of twitter devs with no downside was that it was not 90%.

This is one of elons most valuable skills. He understands enough about code to know the difference between good and bad coders. Not only do bad coders contribute nothing, they can earn a phat salary while making the code WORSE, and even more damaging, they de-motivate the skilled coders and make it an undesirable place to work.
Firing the 80% of twitter timewasters doesn't only cut costs, it cheers up and motivates the ones left (who did all the work anyway), AND it suddenly makes the company attractive to skilled and hard working devs.

Skilled and hard working people want to exclusively work with other skilled and hard working people.

This is one of the secret sauces in all elon's companies. Something Volkswagen, Ford and GM will never, never understand. Nor will the bitter failures who pretend to be journalists that dedicate their life to bringing the man down. Sad to see.

Looks like he rented a standard range... Thats not an EV model vs a LR most people would rent/own to drive on a recurring 800-mile trip. Anyone have the numbers how a M3LR might fare on this trip?
(They ran the hell out of this spot.)
The comments below the story are a non-stop string of self-confident Fox-talking-point FUD. Elon isn’t winning any new buyers among the crowd commenting there.

I'm a C++ coder with 43 years coding experience. When I talk to other coders in the same age group, we all agree that the twitter firings were a LONG time coming, and much needed. Experienced, motivated developers have come to HATE the way tech companies are run (Tesla/SpaceX excluded). The amount of waste and laziness and incompetence is staggering. The only shocking thing about firing 80% of twitter devs with no downside was that it was not 90%.

This is one of elons most valuable skills. He understands enough about code to know the difference between good and bad coders. Not only do bad coders contribute nothing, they can earn a phat salary while making the code WORSE, and even more damaging, they de-motivate the skilled coders and make it an undesirable place to work.
Firing the 80% of twitter timewasters doesn't only cut costs, it cheers up and motivates the ones left (who did all the work anyway), AND it suddenly makes the company attractive to skilled and hard working devs.

Skilled and hard working people want to exclusively work with other skilled and hard working people.

This is one of the secret sauces in all elon's companies. Something Volkswagen, Ford and GM will never, never understand. Nor will the bitter failures who pretend to be journalists that dedicate their life to bringing the man down. Sad to see.
That can be said of any profession and business. There’s always a large portion of lazy and/or under skilled workers, and there’s always fat/waste/inefficiencies. I suspect it still happens at Tesla, especially with its fast growth and current size, just to a lesser degree. It’s been a while since Tesla has had an employee dump.

As a C++ developer, it may interest you that Elon is apparently solidly in the Rust camp:

I’ve done many years of C++ development many years ago, and stumbled upon Rust recently when I needed a programming language with C++ characteristics but couldn’t imagine (bearing the effort of) re-educating myself in modern C++. Rust is clearly made by people with a lot of C++ experience, and determined to eliminate many of the problematic aspects of C++.
The fact that Elon is a Rust supporter means that he is very much aware of those problematic aspects due to his own experience, or that he clearly listens to his employees that need to write that code.
Normal managers don’t have such insight.

Devoid of background in my line of work... It took some reading.

"When you choose ESG investing, you're putting your money to work in companies that strive to make the world a better place. This type of ethical investing strategy helps people align investment choices with personal values. ESG stands for environment, social and governance."

So it sounds like Blackrock gave up on sustainability interests. Not that they actually did this, but now it's gone. Isn't this bad or just being honest and they don't actually care?

Or just plain downsizing is getting an applause here?

As I have now completed my 2nd coast-to-coast trip in my 2020 MYLR, anyone stating you can't EASILY do it, is spouting FUD.
NH->TX->Vancouver BC->NH, then later NH->BC->TX->NH Roughly 10,000 miles in an EV on each trip.
Also hit 17 National Parks along the way (bring my total up to 44 of 63), and completing geocaching in all 50 states (and now 7 provinces),
Extremely easy, just plug the day's destination into the navigation system and go. Almost zero range issues.
For full disclosure, I did stay at RV parks (slept in the back and got a full recharge (85%)) which made this much easier. There were a couple of spots where the RV park/recharge made the difference. Specifically, Glacier NP in Montana (after traveling via MN, SK and AB, Canada) and Zion->Bryce->Glen Canyon dam. Both spots are getting new SCs in the near future to solve those range issues.
I also used FSD Beta in both countries and it made the trip very pleasurable, most of the time, while occasionally giving me something to discuss with the car about its tendencies.
BTW, I recommend visiting BC in August/September and then visiting TX in October, and NOT TX in the summer and then BC.
Proof please. (Like pictures of your beautiful car in those scenic locations!)

"When you choose ESG investing, you're putting your money to work in companies that strive to make the world a better place. This type of ethical investing strategy helps people align investment choices with personal values. ESG stands for environment, social and governance."

So it sounds like Blackrock gave up on sustainability interests. Not that they actually did this, but now it's gone. Isn't this bad or just being honest and they don't actually care?

ESG is all about preserving the status quo and keeping the Vested Interests vested. They aren't really pushing renewables, and they really dislike Tesla.

Except for the fact that Tesla was not in ESG list (might have got added) and Exxon was ... so ya it is a scam ...

ESG is no good:

Elon Musk blasts ESG after tobacco stocks beat Tesla

...and...

Here's what we know about the Corpus Christi plant as of Nov 3, 2023:

Tesla Lithium Extraction Facility Opening Mid-2024 in Texas | eepower.com

"Tesla's lithium refinery plant on the Texas Gulf Coast is ahead of schedule and should begin production by mid-2024.
"Initially, construction was to be completed by the end of 2024, and lithium production would begin in 2025. The timeline has moved up, however, with plant commissioning expected in early 2024 and lithium ready to be shipped in the second half of 2024."​

So I'd call that Summer 2024 (perhaps Q3). But so long as the Corpus Christi Lithium Refinery is operational before 4680 Cell Lines 5-thru-8 are ready at Austin, the Gantt chart out works fine.

Well, my comment was made based on drone flybys of the lithium refining plant and it looks nowhere far along for 1H commissioning. Maybe the article author confused hearing "lithium shipments 2H24". I can believe that Tesla will take lithium SC6 concentrate in as a feedstock to commission the plant in 2H24 and produce some minor amount of lithium output, but actual production volumes, not until 1Q25. That's my take based on drone flybys, but maybe I misunderstood what I viewed.

All other 4680 cell projects will follow the production line validation from the 1st project at Giga Texas. There's no point in gathering production experience if you can't apply it to new production lines, and it's wasteful and inefficient to retrofit a brand-new line. Same reason Model 3 doesn't use gigacastings yet.

OK, so fully ramped 4680 production processes have been delaying giga Nevada expansion (and semi production expansion?)?

Reactions: unk45 and wtlloyd
FIY, the recent piece about alleged Elon drug use is all over the cycle news in Italy.
I don't really understand why NASA hasn't come up with an official statement about Elon random drug trials... if it's true, there is proof he's "clean" (it's a non-story nonetheless, but I notice when the FUD is getting translated...)
I honestly have no idea how that article passed legal at wsj. I didn't see any ounce of evidence for such defamation in the whole thing. A lot of speculation and assumptions besides the puff on Joe Rogan which was legal in that state.

The most disappointing part is the lack of "street fighting" lawyers Musk wanted to hire. Start suing for all this BS already.

FIY, the recent piece about alleged Elon drug use is all over the cycle news in Italy.
I don't really understand why NASA hasn't come up with an official statement about Elon random drug trials... if it's true, there is proof he's "clean" (it's a non-story nonetheless, but I notice when the FUD is getting translated...)
No reason to refute nonsense. Ever.

You know earnings is coming up right ... being in the game for so long, I now think it's a contra indicator of a possible Tesla breakout.

(As an investor) .. I am more concerned of Elon tweeting something stupid :) I think folks have to be more careful 2-3 weeks before earnings ... fingers crossed
+ per the book, Kimbal, Robyn were on him for being stupid on twitter, and he also said he shot himself in the foot too many times ... hoping for the best to Elon's mental and physical health.

FSD is the perfect solution for driving dazed and confuzed ;) cheers!!

Last edited:
Proof please. (Like pictures of your beautiful car in those scenic locations!)
OT OT OT
@JimS
could go into Tesla app instead
touch the self icon
touch Account
touch charging
touch history
touch download arrow
select csv
select export history
select year 2023
save & email
post a huge amt data of where & when, dates times VIN (so do CSV and kill a few columns)
just as good (almost) proof of where & whhen (224 times SC since 6/6/2022 myself)