Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Supercharger congestion fee of $1 per min after 90% was added on Nov 26, 2023. It is not associated with the NACS rollout on Mar 01, 2024 except in that it tends to encourage all EVs to 'move along' once they're full.

Cheers!
I hope they build some more Superchargers in the Supercharger Desert or this will be a big disincentive to go EV there.

OMG, that would be glorious, almost no matter what the cost. Other companies get away with million+ dollar supercars that can only drive on land. It would be awesome if the new Roadster offered:

1) Base version -- for the "regular" rich people, and to give away to those people that won a roadster via the referral program. Hopefully $250K-ish in price, and it doesn't need to be all that much different from the S Plaid with a smaller/lighter body. Hopefully it meets the original 4-seat, <2s 0-60mph acceleration, and ~600 mile range specs....and can beat many of those $1,000,000+ cars from the other guys.

2) SpaceX package -- Totally worth it, even if this option is well over $1,000,000 on its own and trades the back seat for the pressure vessel. The world will go nuts if there is actually enough engineering and multiple individual thrusters to get the 0-60mph time below 1 second, and enhance cornering and braking, and let the car very briefly hover or hop.

3) (Sub?)Marine package -- Again, totally worth it even if it is well over $1,000,000. If the car is water tight and can act like a boat, or even better a submarine, even in a very limited way, it would get tons of attention. Even if most of the attention is negative / "What's the point", that is still the kind of "any publicity" that is good publicity.
I don't think any of the Roadster flying, swimming, time travel, or teleportation packages will materialize. Too much liability. Beam me up, Scotty!

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Dumb Money Podcast:

TLDR: Buy TSLA

Interesting. The value, Chris argues, comes from up to date data collected by Tesla robots (cars n soon bots), required to model real world interactions for the likes of Sora to remain current. He believes the recent injection of funding to Figure AI is because the investors want data access, not because of bots doing useful work.

So take the modeling of Cern Basher and add another column.

Connecting O Dots has argued convincingly on X that Optimus would be factory first. Warren Redlich believed it was going retail early.
Engineer v Lawyer, I dutifully ignored Warren. Maybe, he has a point.

Right to privacy advocates gonna scream. Phones are everywhere already, so probably screaming at clouds. That was part of the discussion - if phones why bots - the difference is continuity. A bot in a new or interesting setting will capture all directions with gapless video.

With the announcement of the Ford NACS adapter, I look forward to the 6,294 articles tomorrow about how Tesla is losing its moat (Supercharging network) and how this is a critical error and the beginning of the end.....in reality, it is the beginning of the beginning (remember, He who controls the spice...).
Yes, it's a double-edged sword. People laughed at me last week when I said I was going to pass on finalizing my cybertruck order, in-lieu of buying a Ford Lightning, but that's exactly what I did. Now that Tesla has opened superchargers to Ford and I've ordered my free adapter, I honestly feel like I've given up nothing and am extremely happy with the Lightning. Will Tesla make a few dollars off me over the next few years, while charging? Absolutely, but it's peanuts compared to selling me vehicles for life.

Yes, it's a double-edged sword. People laughed at me last week when I said I was going to pass on finalizing my cybertruck order, in-lieu of buying a Ford Lightning, but that's exactly what I did. Now that Tesla has opened superchargers to Ford and I've ordered my free adapter, I honestly feel like I've given up nothing and am extremely happy with the Lightning. Will Tesla make a few dollars off me over the next few years, while charging? Absolutely, but it's peanuts compared to selling me vehicles for life.
Unless you sell the truck and change your mind of course. To say you have given up nothing seems a but unqualified at this point. Unless you have extensive hours of CT under your belt.

Yeah, not likely now that they're building FEWER** non-Tesla EVs. ;)

Cheers!

**remember Bob "structurally unprofitable" Lutz? It wasn't just Jim Chanos singin' in the choir back in the day:

Former General Motors Vice Chair: I Think Tesla Is Doomed | CNBC (Apr 12, 2017)

Well, people definitely have more viable choices now though. One of our neighbours has always wanted a Mach E but didn’t want to get one because of lousy non tesla charging facilities. Once he saw the news this morning he was on the way to the local dealer to see what they have for deals on leftover 2023’s. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gets one in the next few days. He just didn’t want a tesla but was open to other brands although he was always fixated on the Mach E.

Tesla can sell your CT to someone else.

Sooner or later someone was going to build an adequate charging network, it is hard for any new US entrant to compete with the Supercharger network.

in other countries Tesla has some meaningful fast charging competition, but there is room in the market for all.

The key consideration is if charging is a profitable recession tolerant business.

I wish you many happy years with your new truck. People finding an EV that works for them, even if it's not a Tesla, is good for the mission. Lots of people will go for the CT, so ultimately hopefully everyone's happy. Especially with trucks, proof of utility to help others get away from diesel and gas is enormously important.

I wonder how much profit Ford made on your purchase.

Do you guys think Ford will open up this to Tesla vehicles?

Also what monstrosities the adapters are... Every user of them must think whoever designed the other standard much have really shitty engineers.
Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 10.01.07.png
1709258411228.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 10.03.08.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 10.03.08.png
    728.5 KB · Views: 4
Given California's obsession with lawsuits against people trying to build anything, frankly the sooner Tesla reaches the required scale when they can just demolish the fremont factory and never go back, the better.
I bet elon is already wondering how many falcon heavy rockets he needs to lift the factory and move it to Texas :D.
Tesla chose to build the megapack factory in Lathrop, CA, and they've been spending $ to upgrade Fremont, so apparently ending CA manufacturing is not on Elon's list.

Also moving Fremont auto manufacturing to TX would increase the distance from battery production in NV.

And Tesla recently moved its engineering HQ to larger digs in Palo Alto.

Last edited:
Any guesses? Model 3 is out unless this means Ludicrous, Model Y everything seems to point out that Juniper will happen way latter, Model S and X in a Plaid+ version would fit the bill, specially with 3 Ludicrous coming, creates more segmentation between them

Cybertruck would be a weird one for significant changes at the present time, but who knows

Any guesses? Model 3 is out unless this means Ludicrous, Model Y everything seems to point out that Juniper will happen way latter, Model S and X in a Plaid+ version would fit the bill, specially with 3 Ludicrous coming, creates more segmentation between them

Cybertruck would be a weird one for significant changes at the present time, but who knows

The rumor is ambient lights in the S/X.

Edit; and front bumper camera. They allegedly start shipping March 1st.