Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A ranger came to my house after 2018 Model 3 delivery to fix badly aligned door, hood, and a glovebox that wasn't plugged in and wouldn't open. Ever since, every problem has required a 4-hour+ round trip to service.
I agree. The Tesla Ranger concept is definitely another concept that seemed promising, and Elon hyped enormously in the 2018-2020 period. In practice, the Ranger has been limited at best and maybe even lackluster.

I agree. The Tesla Ranger concept is definitely another concept that seemed promising, and Elon hyped enormously in the 2018-2020 period. In practice, the Ranger has been limited at best and maybe even lackluster.
Can't speak to the "hype" point, but my experience has been unreservedly positive. In 6 years, I've been to the local service location once and had 2 ranger visits. I didn't request them, just when I went through the app for service, it assigned a mobile service person. Both times were 100% positive for me.

I'm fairly positive any 'Tesla Ranger' worth his salt could fix this in your garage/driveway. I suspect all that's needed is a torque wrench. We just had a Ranger visit us last week. His mobile service truck? A brand new, fully kitted-out Model S!
The Ranger that visited me last winter used a beautiful blue Model X. I've never had service come to my home from any other car company. Super convenient - it's a bit of a counterpoint to those who say not having a Tesla Store is a massive deal. This softens it a bit (though doesn't negate the critique - Winnipeg is FINALLY getting a Store - the next closest Canadian store was Saskatoon - an 8 hour drive from Winnipeg, 9 hours from my house in a small city).

And yet somehow I survived owning a Tesla since 2012, when there were no stores in Canada within 2000 km's... But they flew out a Ranger from Toronto - they took care of us even then. You can see why I believe that Tesla is trying to do their best.

Of course, now I moved to Vancouver Island, where they only recently set up a store near Victoria - very nice place, but 2 hours away from me, so it does take some effort. But it's worth living here despite that...

Attachments

• PXL_20230404_200011051~2.jpg
    PXL_20230404_200011051~2.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 8
Is this manipulation and worthy of a letter to the SEC?
Nothing is worth the effort of reporting to the SEC. I sent a bunch of reports back in the mid-late 2010s, and except for the form letter "we added you to the queue", have never had any response or apparent effect.

FWIW The homelink folks charge a fee for every car it's installed in regardless of the owner uses it or not- so Tesla removed it as standard and offers it as an option. for $300 to those who DO want it

Folks with MyQ garage openers also have the option to use the native WiFi on their Tesla to control it (though MyQ charges you a fee to do that)

That's helpful, I didn't know this. Though I bet if I tell my wife that it'll cost $300 she'll agree with me that using our normal remote is just fine... Personally, I love having a choice - it adds some transparency to the actual cost of things. I'll use that $300 on more useful things in my life, but I can see how some people might think it's worth it.

Reactions: JimS
You realize it's already at 48.2% right? I'd hardly call a <2% increase the "steep part of the S curve"

Your ability to believe things directly contradicted by all known data continues to be remarkable :)
By definition, over 48.2% means we are already in the steep part of the S curve. Are you not familiar with the concept?

Your ability to be cynical is remarkable. If Tesla does not believe demand is increasing, then it means they are playing games to achieve a small gain in Q1 sales. I don't think Tesla is playing games.

I'll say it yet again. Tesla has better data than we have. Tesla knows the market better than we do. If Tesla is raising prices next quarter, the obvious explanation is that they believe demand will increase next quarter.

I'll say it yet again. Tesla has better data than we have. Tesla knows the market better than we do. If Tesla is raising prices next quarter, the obvious explanation is that they believe demand will increase next quarter

Then why telegraph it? Just raise it on April 1st or even today. By announcing the increase they are trying to get people off the fence and buy now.

Good point. Definitely should have thought of that. But I would have been late for my own job here at home.

If I was truly hard core, I would have taken the day off to drive V12 for hours and hours.
Your job at home as in like the majority of us who just sit around and post on TMC or like a real job? :)

Cough, cough...i sense you coming down with something tonight.

Then why telegraph it? Just raise it on April 1st or even today. By announcing the increase they are trying to get people off the fence and buy now.
Because they also want the benefit of bringing some sales into Q1 and having a solid order book to start Q2.

Tesla is always balancing supply and demand. The main way they do that is with price, and in this case, pre-announcing a price hike. All of it is done to keep the factory running smooth at high capacity all the time. Otherwise, it runs in fits and starts, which is not so cost effective.

My contention is that Tesla did what they did to achieve their goals for both Q1 and Q2 rather than just goosing Q1. Just trying to goose Q1 at the expense of Q2 would be foolish. And I don't think Tesla is foolish.

By definition, over 48.2% means we are already in the steep part of the S curve. Are you not familiar with the concept?

Going from 48.2% of the market to 50.1% (which is all that is needed for what he's claiming will happen) is.... not steep.

And again, it's from:

Another company
That sells more hybrids than EVs
And mostly sells much cheaper cars than Tesla does.

So it's not even useful data about Teslas own expected sales growth.

Which for Q1 we actually have a lot of actual data on and it's very near to 0 YoY-- and it's looking like even 10% YoY for all of 2024 will be a tough haul.

Your ability to be cynical is remarkable. If Tesla does not believe demand is increasing, then it means they are playing games to achieve a small gain in Q1 sales. I don't think Tesla is playing games.

What basis do you have for this beleif?

Or is this another "If your guess is right you make money, so it must be right" thing?

I'll say it yet again. Tesla has better data than we have. Tesla knows the market better than we do. If Tesla is raising prices next quarter, the obvious explanation is that they believe demand will increase next quarter.

No, the obvious explanation is they want to encourage more people to buy in Q1 so they don't have a YoY decline in deliveries.

If they believe demand is increasing there'd be no reason to pre-announce the price change weeks in advance, while also stacking numerous other by-end-of-Q1 incentives they're all offering (transfer for FUSC and FSD, free color selection, 10k free supercharger miles, inventory discounts, etc)

Occam's razor my dude.

Your need to keep parroting this, over and over, as if it is a permanent impediment raises questions about your motive in doing so. It is beginning to smell like FUD to me.
Don't be ridiculous. I've been following Tesla, daily every year since 2009, have owned 3 Teslas, started investing in 2012 and have been using FSD since 10/22. My only point initially was to reply to a question on why some people are still buying ICE's?. A very complex question to answer but one mitigating factor is lack of service centers. Of course there are lots of other reasons but If you don't believe that limits some people from buying your not talking to enough people. Just travel around the country where service centers don't exist and you'll find out people are hesitant.
\

And why not? Let those on the fence people buy it now. A new ones will show up. They will drive moar and moar Teslas.
What if this is just a new version of advertisements a little mind game which Tesla does not have to pay anyone for it? YMMV.