Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 47, it inexplicably does not take the empty right turn lane for the impending right turn coming up just a few feet away. But then, like a bad selfish driver cuts everyone at the last minute and takes a turn from the wrong lane... and gets a ton of honk from pissed off drivers 🤣

It is a situation it brought it on itself by not getting into the turn lane when it was empty. and perfectly the correct time to move.

It does amazing things, and then sometimes inexplicably it does stupid things on simple stuff like this
It’s a Level 2 ADAS and drivers should be intervening/disengaging when it is about to do stupid things.

Interesting but probably just using Giga Texas as a distribution point.

It is difficult for me to grasp how using GigaTexas as a distribution point would offer any logistic benefit.

I could see taking them to the rail yard on a carrier to be loaded onto the train (which they could as easily do in California), but to unload a truck from Fremont at GigaT, then load them onto another truck to take to the rail yard or another destination from the logistics lot doesn't seem advantageous.

Maybe, if they were at GigaT for a presentation or photo shoot or something, and now are being shipped to their new owners, that might make sense.

Last edited:
With the size of Giga TX, I'd not be surprised if they actually make new M3s.

This is exactly the sort of thing I would expect Tesla to be doing in an "off year with no growth" and would be another of the many surprises I would like to see added to those milestones Tesla and Elon are accumulating for 2024.

Last edited:
At 47, it inexplicably does not take the empty right turn lane for the impending right turn coming up just a few feet away. But then, like a bad selfish driver cuts everyone at the last minute and takes a turn from the wrong lane... and gets a ton of honk from pissed off drivers 🤣

It is a situation it brought it on itself by not getting into the turn lane when it was empty. and perfectly the correct time to move.

It does amazing things, and then sometimes inexplicably it does stupid things on simple stuff like this
Looks like it was trained by other drivers, who always follow the driving rules... Lets get training done in some place where this is normal, like any big city in the Asia, and then see the results...

• Funny
Reactions: wtlloyd
Looks like it was trained by other drivers, who always follow the driving rules... Lets get training done in some place where this is normal, like any big city in the Asia, and then see the results...

If they filter the Asian scenario data for drivers who are most successful with the least problems the training should work there as well as it does in the US.

Perkiness with 180 Calls today. Such a tease!

1711040415632.png

As jarring as driving in Asia can be, there is a method to the madness. It takes a short while to acclimate yourself to the new way of driving. We've already established in the 12.3 videos that it seemingly adjusts for regional driving styles. FSD will eventually achieve competence, even in Asia. *edit for clarity.

I always wonder how Tesla selects the first roll-outs of a new version to "regular" people. I got 12.2.1 fairly early...and I'm absolutely a nobody, with no social media presence and a December 2021 Model Y. Maybe I got picked at random, maybe it has to do with how I drive, or where I drive, or the hardware config of my car, or maybe they like how I send feedback when I disengage....who knows?

I am continually impressed with 12.2.1.
Nifty to me is that it is avoiding many potential road hazards. Yesterday, I spotted some road debris up ahead on a 1-lane-each-way 55mph road, and I and eagerly waited to see how it did. It slowed down, safely moved into the oncoming traffic lane, passed the debris, and returned to the proper lane.
I'm also glad to see it ignoring incorectly high speed limits in the map data -- there's a section of 35 mph road where the map data says the speed limit is 55. With v. 12.2.1, FSD maintains the appropriate speed without me needing to adjust settings.
My biggest "complaint" is some sections with incorrectly low speed limits in the map data...so the car sets to a 25mph speed on an isolated section of 55 mph road. I have to go to the onerous effort (sarcasm!) of adjusting the speed via the scroll wheel.
More mild complaint: FSD 12.2.1 seems to want to maintain a bit slower speed than I prefer. Older FSD would happily drive at my max set speed in most conditions...while version 12 seems to default to a few mph slower. I tried the new option for automatic speed setting/adjustment...but that felt like it left me with even less control, and in those above-mentioned wrong 25mph zones, I would have had to (gasp) push the accelerator myself.
I got FSD 12.3 last week. On my particular commute, I'm seeing it be very human-like, and downright impressive. Very good lane positioning and lane choices, and I'm pretty sure it's also trying to avoid cat-sized (and larger) animals in at least some situations. On my ~60 mile each way commute, I'm seeing minimal need for any intervention, and even less reason to take over and disengage FSD....and none of my recent disengagements were related to human safety.

Some of my interesting observations below in the "spoiler."

After a few days using 12.3, some notes and observations. My drive is not heavy traffic...mostly just some suburban/neighborhood driving, then relatively long desert and light mountain roads. I've got all my settings in "chill".

On my way to work today, for 60-ish miles with FSD operating, I did not disengauge and only made a couple mild interventions. One intervention was just to nudge the accelerator pedal to scoot FSD along from a stop sign when it was being extra cautious about the unregulated cross-traffic. I only did this to avoid annoying the car behind me...if nobody was around, I would have waited. Other than that, during the drive, there were a few times when I used the scroll wheel to increase the target speed. That's all I had to do until I arrived at the entry gate at work! I'm impressed.

I've also noticed that FSD seems to be watching traffic BEHIND the car. Many of my roads are just one lane each way. But there are a few sections where there are 2 lanes going one direction. FSD will often choose the right/slow lane (probably due to my speed and chill settings). If FSD finds itself in the fast lane, and then a faster car approaches from the rear, FSD seems to "know" to pull into the slow lane so that other car can get by. Likewise, in areas where two lanes merge back into one, FSD will hug the right/slow side if it seems like faster cars still want to pass while the merged lane is wide enough. Very polite and human-ike! Today, FSD also made a very nice pass around a slower vehicle towing a trailer in one of those slow lanes.

Yesterday's drive home from work was similarly impressive. Over 60+ miles, I had two disengagements -- one to manually avoid a pothole I'm familiar with, and the other to avoid an animal, which I'll describe after a couple brief anecdotes.

First anecdote: approaching an intersection where FSD needed to make a left turn, the left turn lane was full. FSD behaved very human like -- it made a move to sortof wedge into the last bit of available space at the back of the line-up, and crossed into the double-double-yellow median. After stopping, it then re-started and moved forward, to wedge itself closer to the car in front and better position itself. At first this was a surprise and a bit jarring for FSD to start moving forward again with a car right there...but once I realized it was carefully repositioning itself to optimize positioning, it made sense and is probably what I would do.

Second anecdote: With FSD driving along, I spotted a small tumbleweed travelling perpendicular to the road up ahead. It wasn't moving quickly, and was about a foot in diameter. FSD spotted it, slowed, and briefly gave me the audible "front collision alert" sound as the tumbleweed passed in front of the car. Then FSD continued on its way. The whole way home, I was thinking "that tumbleweed was about the size of a cat...I bet FSD will avoid cats, rabbits, and any animal bigger than that!"

Which leads me to my second disengagement: FSD might not yet see/avoid cat-sized animals approaching quickly from an extreme side angle. About 100 yards from home, on a 35mph neighborhood road, out to the left side of the car, I spotted a terrified-seeming cat running straight at the road. Unlike the tumbleweed, this was fast moving, and not really travelling cross-wise in front of the car, but more approaching from the side. By my estimation, the cat would NOT have been hit by the front bumper, but might have met the driver-side front tire of my car, and definitely would have been smushed by the back tire if both it and the car maintained speed. So, I smashed the brake myself and disengaged. Once the car stopped, I believe the cat probably came to a stop itself near my driver door....and a couple seconds later I saw it run off back the direction it came from.

So: my conclusion: FSD will likely dodge animals of cat-size or larger if they are out in front of the car and readily visible. Animals approaching at high speed from the side might not be spotted and avoided (yet?).

That would be exiting news. But it's hard to believe that Tesla could build a new Model 3 line in Texas without us finding out.

Oh they definitely could

There was a field North of the factory full of boxes of equipment sitting there for a long time, likely more than enough for a single production line, I haven't been keeping up with Joe videos recently, so interesting to take a look to see if it's there still

Making a separated line there for the Ludicrous would make sense, specially since we pretty much know it has more than different motors, but also bumpers, seats, dash, etc

Would be even more impressive if it used 4680s, as we saw this week, 4680 production is quite ahead of what Cybertruck can absorb, and as a second point, the batteries on Model 3 don't have that much power to spare that a Ludicrous model could take advantage, but a 4680 pack could provided the needed push

As jarring as driving in Asia can be, there is a method to the madness. It takes a short while to acclimate yourself to the new way of driving. We've already established in the 12.3 videos that it seemingly adjusts for regional driving styles. FSD will eventually achieve competence, even in Asia. *edit for clarity.
As it may seem chaotic, in most of these large cities that I have seen very few accidents. Because the car has so much value and taking advantage of a gap, etc is the norm. In fact if the FSD system responds fast enough, training in an aggressive traffic environment may be easier.

That would be exiting news. But it's hard to believe that Tesla could build a new Model 3 line in Texas without us finding out.

This chart would be incorrect as well. I am sure Joe T will be watching more closely now and we should know in a few days. It would be good to get some of the complexity out of California, but I would think an easier route would have been to build all the Model Y in Texas.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 1.21.57 PM.jpg

Reactions: Usain and UncaNed
It is difficult for me to grasp how using GigaTexas as a distribution point would offer any logistic benefit.

I could see taking them to the rail yard on a carrier to be loaded onto the train (which they could as easily do in California), but to unload a truck from Fremont at GigaT, then load them onto another truck to take to the rail yard or another destination from the logistics lot doesn't seem advantageous.

Maybe, if they were at GigaT for a presentation or photo shoot or something, and now are being shipped to their new owners, that might make sense.
Wouldn't it cut the freight cost when shipping to the East Coast? (Assumes a 3 production line)