Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An absurd trolley problem indeed.

Package deal. Obviously there are many who would love to separate those missions from one another. Personally I would view it as a concession/defeat.

Though practically speaking, I don’t think it’s easily doable without some rethinking of the electronics in ICE/hybrids, and part of why they are so favored by legacy is the extremely close relation to the antiquated ICE platforms. It would be a shame to see any engineering resources - Tesla’s or anyone else’s - put to work in such ends.

Would be a fittingly backwards approach that we probably deserve.
I like the idea of licensing FSD for use in EV's at one price, and licensing it to ICE vehicles at an ever-increasing price. In year 1, ICE pay 2x the subscription rate per car that EV's are paying. In year 2, ICE pay 3x the subscription rate of EV's, etc. That way you are saving lives short term, and incentivizing saving civilization long-term.

• Informative
Reactions: jhm
Elon rounded up all of the investors on Investor Day 2019 and told them this is exactly what he was going to do.

5 years later, and many improvements towards this plan, and they're shocked.

I really hope this isn't true. So many people all over the world would love to buy a lower cost Tesla and is going to take many years to build out robotaxi services or even unsupervised FSD worldwide.

Nothing to worry about. The reaction is stalled and the stock is climbing.
Screenshot_20240405_102138.png

Oh crap, this is what he wanted to do years ago with Gen3, the biography detailed it out but Franz talked Elon out of it. Seems like Elon is ignoring the advice of Franz and doing what he wants to instead?

Damnit, I do not agree with this. If true our stock will likely be in the toilet far longer than the next two years then. A Robotaxi fleet will take time to build, deploy, and create infrastructure for. Not to mention solving FSD to Level 5 yet. My opinion is this is a MASSIVE mistake which will hurt all of us shareholders for many years to come.

Sigh, and I was having a good day too. 😞

Oh crap, this is what he wanted to do years ago with Gen3, the biography detailed it out but Franz talked Elon out of it. Seems like Elon is ignoring the advice of Franz and doing what he wants to instead?

Damnit, I do not agree with this. If true our stock will likely be in the toilet far longer than the next two years then. A Robotaxi fleet will take time to build, deploy, and create infrastructure for. Not to mention solving FSD to Level 5 yet. My opinion is this is a MASSIVE mistake which will hurt all of us shareholders for many years to come.

Sigh, and I was having a good day too. 😞
There was background about that in the biography, yes, but until we hear this from Tesla/Elon, it's not worth worrying over.

I bet they will get questions on this during the earnings report, if it turns out to be true, yes the stock will drop and yes the path to profitable, approved Robotaxi's is much longer than a low cost car, but in the end it would provide a big boost.

I can't imagine they wouldn't make the low cost car all together, there's too big of a market for it.

There was background about that in the biography, yes, but until we hear this from Tesla/Elon, it's not worth worrying over.

I bet they will get questions on this during the earnings report, if it turns out to be true, yes the stock will drop and yes the path to profitable, approved Robotaxi's is much longer than a low cost car, but in the end it would provide a big boost.

I can't imagine they wouldn't make the low cost car all together, there's too big of a market for it.

I find this news incredibly hard to believe too, but the stock is certainly reacting hard to it. We're about to dive under $160 soon.

yet again. More obvious evidence. Elon is, these days, the problem. Read the Walter Isaacson book. We couldn’t have gotten here without him. Now, he’s the biggest risk to Tesla. Some of you can keep drinking your koolaid while watching your portfolio plummet while proudly saying “I never sold a share” during a bubble, but it is what it is.

The only thing that can stop Tesla’s domination is Elon.

"The automaker will continue developing self-driving robotaxis on the same small-vehicle platform, the sources said."

What does this mean - that they will build the small car but reserve it for Robotaxis only?
Correct - that was the original plan, per the biography: build the small car with no steering wheel, Robotaxi all the way. Elon was talked out of it, but most of us have assumed it will be easy to switch from small car + steering (etc) to small car without those things.