Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So let me get this straight. Down several percent earlier today that Gen 3 being passed over for Robotaxi.

AH date given for reveal of Robotaxi and up several percent.

Do I have that right?
Well, I think the problem was that WS was afraid Tesla would give up on the "model 2". It seemed obvious to me that both programs (low cost vehicle for sale and robotaxi) can not only co-exist, but be complementary.

I'm sure this is NOT the way Elon wanted to break this news but like others have posted, his hand was forced.

Reactions: AZRI11 and gene
Unless there's an upcoming $25k vehicle announcement, isn't this basically confirming the Reuters story? Robotaxi has taken a priority, "Model 2" has taken a back seat (scrapped, whatever).
lol at @Krugerrand frantically downvote all the facts anyone with a half critical thinking brain said this morning 🤣 you think this announcement was magically timed? No it’s a panic reaction to the truth of the model 2 not coming out anytime soon

1) do you have FSD? Because I do and it’s nowhere close to Tesla assuming legal liability for accidents in a robotaxi

2) have you been around since 2017? Because almost a decade later and it’s the same story.

Given how good FSD v12.3.3 is today, compared to how it was a few months ago, I find it possible that they just might get FSD to L5 by the end of 2025. Given how they are showing the RT in four months now, production of the RT is likely a few years out yet. That provides a nice window for FSD to get to L5 from where it is today.

Elon may have kicked the can down the road on the FSD thing for the past few years, but this time its beginning to feel like a real possibility.

Well, I think the problem was that WS was afraid Tesla would give up on the "model 2". It seemed obvious to me that both programs (low cost vehicle for sale and robotaxi) can not only co-exist, but be complementary.

I'm sure this is NOT the way Elon wanted to break this news but like others have posted, his hand was forced.
WS afraid. 🤣😂🤣

I do agree; both programs make sense and always made sense.

I’d much rather your prediction is the future. Let’s make a coffee bet.

My hunch is you won’t even believe the cockamamie regulations/proposals/laws that are coming as soon as it becomes evident that 1) FSD/robotaxi is technically feasible and 2) it will be priced to obliterate everything else.

I’ll add that none of this will STOP it, but significantly slow it. To the point it could profoundly impact the business if all or nothing bets have been placed.

Again I’ll much, much prefer your version.
You see all the *sugar* cruise got for dragging someone on the road? Imagine that’s Tesla, and someone dies.

Good god that 15% day drop and subsequent lawsuits from ambulance chasers and politically motivated people. Y’all here have no idea how ugly it’s gonna get 🤣

1) do you have FSD? Because I do and it’s nowhere close to Tesla assuming legal liability for accidents in a robotaxi

2) have you been around since 2017? Because almost a decade later and it’s the same story.
Absolutely I do. 12.3.3. and it's pretty darn good. I'm not saying it's perfect but remember it's just switched to a different architecture on 12 and I'm sure we will see much faster progress from here on out. I can see it doing many drives in smaller geo mapped areas just running on current software, who knows how good it will be in the near future. This reveal is still 6 months away and even that will still just be a "reveal" which means the program could take another 18-24 months. But, the light at the end of the tunnel is near and smart $$ will understand why this is a game changer.

Given how good FSD v12.3.3 is today, compared to how it was a few months ago, I find it possible that they just might get FSD to L5 by the end of 2025. Given how they are showing the RT in four months now, production of the RT is likely a few years out yet.

Elon may have kicked the can down the road on the FSD thing for the past few years, but this time its beginning to feel like a real possibility.
Wake me up when the FSD community tracker is one intervention every 10,000 miles instead of every 50 🤣 Tesla has to be profitable including all insurance claims from this even if no one magically ever dies. You have 0 clue how far off we are.

If only the SEC would get up and enforce the law to avoid stuff like what happened today.

Except I’m not sure it’s against the law.

But stuff like this continues to happen. On an options expiration Friday. People always question why us long-timers believe in conspiracy theories about media manipulation of TSLA. It’s because when evidence continues to mount time and time and time again, they’re not conspiracy theories anymore.

Wake me up when the FSD community tracker is one intervention every 10,000 miles instead of every 50 🤣 Tesla has to be profitable including all insurance claims from this even if no one magically ever dies. You have 0 clue how far off we are.
I'd argue NONE of us on this forum have any clue how far off we are but the fact that there is an announcement 6 months away leads me to believe that the engineers at Tesla realize how close they are. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and yes I realize Elon's track record with timelines is less than great.

I'll admit, I'm probably starved for some good news and I'm probably a bit more positive that some. I'm hungry

Cheers to the longs.

8/8 is definitely a deliberate choice for the Chinese market. Great choice of numbers.

China will be the biggest market for them robots and probably a Chinese manufacturer will be the 1st to pay for FSD licensing.

Edit:

Judging from stock price reaction to the latest "reveals" or "Days" maybe I should enter a calendar note to sell some TSLA on Aug 7 🤔

If only the SEC would get up and enforce the law to avoid stuff like what happened today.

Except I’m not sure it’s against the law.

But stuff like this continues to happen. On an options expiration Friday. People always question why us long-timers believe in conspiracy theories about media manipulation of TSLA. It’s because when evidence continues to mount time and time and time again, they’re not conspiracy theories anymore.
And note, Elon waited until AFTER market close to announce because you want to believe the SEC would have been crawling up his buttocks if he’d done it before close, and all the usual suspects would be screaming ‘stock pump’ - not that they haven’t been since the P&D report.

I don't believe the after hour SP pop can last long, and want to sell my shares. But, my current positions has very low cost and thus if I sell I will need to pay a lot of tax, which I already surpassed many brackets in Q1 2024.
I want to do "Short Sell" in after hours, but my broker Fidelity doesn't allow me.
What else can I do??

Last edited:
IMO, user segments I can think of:

- no car, commute
- no car, long distance
- car owned, but shared only btw family/friends
- car owned, not shared at all
- commercial: remote work, freight, logistics
Thats not the pool that uses Uber. Uber is first and foremost used by people seeking to avoid drunk driving while bar hopping. Second it is used by people traveling instead of renting cars (PITA) or taxis (often non existent). Last it is used by people in very congested cities as an alternative to Taxis because many taxis are gross or expensive and you can't count on them.

That's is the pool that adopted TAAS. RT would have to be fundamentally different to attract a new group of people. It's not a big pool. It relies on profits from very dense urban areas. 10 cities, 50% of profit.