Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given this and the fact Tesla saw a YoY decline in auto sales while the majority of the ICE auto industry saw YoY increases, I think one would have to conclude EVs are experiencing some demand softening. Clearly this isn’t just a Tesla thing; BYD posted poor numbers as well. However, since legacy auto has posted a string of solid quarters, it doesn’t appear to be channel stuffing.
Even after adjusted for interest rates, the Model 3 and Y are already more affordable by thousands of dollars than they were 2 years ago. The TAM for each should have at least doubled. And yet they are still slashing inventory prices. They delivered less cars than a year ago while the cars are more affordable! Demand is obviously soft.
One could conclude softening EV demand without the appropriate facts. Allow me to provide them:

The cumulative U.S. inventory (see below) is similar to peak inventory throughout Q323 and Q423. MX inventory has improved, as well as M3. MY demand is soft, yes, which is exemplified by the deep MY discounts in the US only. The demand for the other three models seem to be as good or better than with recent historical trends. Blanket statements like "EV demand is soft" misses the point I have just articulated, because it is not wholly true. This is also true of Q223 (not pictured) which looks similar to 2023-07-14 below, where M3 MX and MS all remain stable. Of course, as M3 Highland ramps, we should watch this chart to ensure the refresh continues to draw demand.

The point is this: we are talking 6000MY inventory vehicles in the US being discounted $5-7k. We are talking a $32-42M maximum possible discount. This is like 1.5% of all Teslas that will be sold in Q2. These discounts are a rounding error (especially in light of Energy Revenue explosion which will eclipse thes discounts [pun intended Eclipse Day]). If these levels remain stable, within just a couple quarters, Austin and Fremont lines have to go down in quick succession to retool for Juniper, while concurrently interest rates drop - this should solve the temporary build up in MY inventory over the long run. Also, Tesla will want substantial MY inventory going into the MY refresh.

Lastly, remember Tesla has stated time and again that they WANT to maintain inventory to flatten the wave. I think we can see below inventories become less wave-like.

I open the floor for those who want to kill my hopium vibe. J/K I love the banter. Thanks everyone sincerely for the counter arguments. The healthy back-and-forth discussion is what I love about this place!

CUMULATIVE US INVENTORY 4/23-PRESENT
Screenshot_20240408_174248_Chrome.jpg

Europe is hardly out of the ordinary, well within historical norms, hence no deep MY discounts. My concern would be M3 refresh isn't taking hold if M3 inventories continue to rise.

CUMULATIVE EUROPEAN INV 4/23-PRES
Screenshot_20240408_174426_Chrome.jpg

CHINA LESS THAN 500 CUMULATIVE. ITS NORMAL, SO I DIDNT SHOW IT.

SOURCE: Tesla New Inventory Counts, aggregated at a Europe level

Last edited:
Tesla would likely never make a 500 mile Model Y. It uses too many resources, and decreases efficiency at the same time.

Look at the recent OOS Ocean-to-Ocean race with the EV trucks currently on the market.
  1. Chevy Silverado EV WT4 in first place (~430 mile range with ~220kWh battery)
  2. Tesla Cybertruck Cyberbeast: Just a few minutes slower (~300 range with 123kWh battery)
  3. Rivian R1T: About half an hour slower (~290 mile range)
  4. Ford F-150 Lightning: multiple hours slower (~280 mile range)
Even with almost double the size battery and 43% more range the Chevy wasn't really any faster than the Cybertruck over an approximately 40 hour trip. Yes, it had to make fewer stops, but most people aren't bladder busting drivers.
I agree a super long range MY is unlikely, in the US at least, which is why I said "over 500mi miles of range potential in MY." However, as battery supply ramps, they may revisit this little baby... Tesla files for a near 400-mile Model Y in China

Remember CATL has a 80GWh factory that has been ramping for over a year adjacent to Tesla in Shanghai...

As competition heats up in China, Telsa may need to pull out all the stops.

Thanks for the Ocean-to-Ocean info! Super interesting, I wasn't aware.

Last edited:
I also think people are dreaming if they think existing consumer owned X/S/3/Y can be put into the robotaxi fleet. How would you ever keep passengers from grabbing the wheel/yoke and mashing the go pedal?
My "sources" tell me there's a Tesla Trunk Monkey being developed that will cure that behavior very quickly;

Last edited:

Neighbour from across the street had to run over yesterday while I was in the driveway and tell me to sell our car while it was still worth something. Elon cancelled all new cars and the company is going bankrupt. No. I’m not kidding.
Yes, but whom did he run over? Was he on Autopilot?

Boring Tunnel costs for a compact Robotaxi are another consideration.

Vehicle width and height determine tunnel diameter, which has a big impact on tunnelling costs.

Vehicle length determines how many vehicles can fit in a tunnel, and hence how many tunnels are needed.

Should they have vertical car elevators, width, length and weight are the key parameters.

I am not claiming this a current plan, but Tesla would be well aware of these considerations, and may prefer to keep their options open.

A smaller diameter tunnel built for Robtaxis would not be able to accommodate S/X, 3/Y and Cybertruck.

IMO the most logical configuration for a dense urban environment is one larger tunnel for all vehicles, and a number of smaller diameter tunnels for Robotaxis, by travelling in the smaller tunnels Robotaxis free up space in the main larger tunnel.

So, do we not believe in free speech?

Whether he was pompous, completely wrong or trolling, we all have the ability to tune him out and not respond. And, put him/her on ignore!
This forum should be for anyone to give their opinion. As long as he does not shoot anyone or cause harm to others, does it really effect you, or any of us... this is what free speech is all about...and, I would hope, Elon would agree as well, considering all of the groups trying to silence him.
MOD NOTE: Re "free speech." This is as good a place as any to remind all that I set this site up with extremely specific rules as to what may and what may not be written here. Think of it as a benevolent tyrrany. You are even permitted to X out that "benevolent" if you wish: that's how benevolent I am.

How do you know Reuters didn't lie?

Even if they didn't, I think there's a fine line between outright stating things that are blatantly untrue and fabricating a set of events that allow you to technically report something and/or report something that you didn't fabricate but know not to be true. In that case it's tantamount to lying IMO.
I was by no means making an argument in Reuters's favor. I was more commenting on how journalists and their publishers keep getting away with falsehoods about Tesla, as long as they claim there are "sources." ...."We were only reporting what our precious sources told us...and no, you don't get to know who the sources are."

My use of the word "technically" was a half-effort reference to the old "technically correct" meme from Futurama, and I didn't mean it as a compliment or defense of Reuters:

1712617888058.png

One could conclude softening EV demand without the appropriate facts. Allow me to provide them:

The cumulative U.S. inventory (see below) is similar to peak inventory throughout Q323 and Q423. MX inventory has improved, as well as M3. MY demand is soft, yes, which is exemplified by the deep MY discounts in the US only. The demand for the other three models seem to be as good or better than with recent historical trends. Blanket statements like "EV demand is soft" misses the point I have just articulated, because it is not wholly true. This is also true of Q223 (not pictured) which looks similar to 2023-07-14 below, where M3 MX and MS all remain stable. Of course, as M3 Highland ramps, we should watch this chart to ensure the refresh continues to draw demand.

The point is this: we are talking 6000MY inventory vehicles in the US being discounted $5-7k. We are talking a $32-42M maximum possible discount. This is like 1.5% of all Teslas that will be sold in Q2. These discounts are a rounding error (especially in light of Energy Revenue explosion which will eclipse thes discounts [pun intended Eclipse Day]). If these levels remain stable, within just a couple quarters, Austin and Fremont lines have to go down in quick succession to retool for Juniper, while concurrently interest rates drop - this should solve the temporary build up in MY inventory over the long run. Also, Tesla will want substantial MY inventory going into the MY refresh.

Lastly, remember Tesla has stated time and again that they WANT to maintain inventory to flatten the wave. I think we can see below inventories become less wave-like.

I open the floor for those who want to kill my hopium vibe. J/K I love the banter. Thanks everyone sincerely for the counter arguments. The healthy back-and-forth discussion is what I love about this place!

CUMULATIVE US INVENTORY 4/23-PRESENT
View attachment 1036805

Europe is hardly out of the ordinary, well within historical norms, hence no deep MY discounts. My concern would be M3 refresh isn't taking hold if M3 inventories continue to rise.

CUMULATIVE EUROPEAN INV 4/23-PRES
View attachment 1036816

CHINA LESS THAN 500 CUMULATIVE. ITS NORMAL, SO I DIDNT SHOW IT.

SOURCE: Tesla New Inventory Counts, aggregated at a Europe level

“The point is this: we are talking 6000MY inventory vehicles in the US being discounted $5-7k. We are talking a $32-42M maximum possible discount. This is like 1.5% of all Teslas that will be sold in Q2. These discounts are a rounding error”

Are you assuming that Tesla will stop giving inventory discounts after the current inventory (the 6000 number you mention) is sold? They had inventory discounts all through quarter one, as inventory was continually sold and resupplied.

Reactions: replicant and MD70
Waymo allows passenger front seat access as well, at least in Gen5 vehicles from what I have seen.

Why do you think Tesla couldn't keep the driver's door locked? (It is electronic, so they can program it any way they want.)
With steer-by-wire the wheel can be disabled via software and can eventually fold into the dashboard.

With a direct linkage steering, some clamping mechanism could disable access to the wheel and pedals, preventing them from moving.. But adding that clamping mechanism and the start of every shift, and removing it at the end would be a nuisance..

Touching the wheel and pedals could simply invalidate the trip and render the customer legally liable for any accident that happens.

I also think people are dreaming if they think existing consumer owned X/S/3/Y can be put into the robotaxi fleet. How would you ever keep passengers from grabbing the wheel/yoke and mashing the go pedal?
When the tech is mature how much effort will it take to have removable physical controls on all existing models via a refresh? Clearly not impossible.

“The point is this: we are talking 6000MY inventory vehicles in the US being discounted $5-7k. We are talking a $32-42M maximum possible discount. This is like 1.5% of all Teslas that will be sold in Q2. These discounts are a rounding error”

Are you assuming that Tesla will stop giving inventory discounts after the current inventory (the 6000 number you mention) is sold? They had inventory discounts all through quarter one, as inventory was continually sold and resupplied.

Tesla did NOT offer discounts this deep all throughout Q1. They made a temporary $1000 price cut in early Feb. They began to offer more deep inventory discounts late in March - mainly MY 7-seaters and really just the last 10 days as verified by my friend. I know because I was in the market for a MY here in Cleveland (a single data point I understand). Then they raised prices $1000 on MY across the board earlier this month; this was announced in Mar this would happen April 1 after the temporary discount. I've been buying and selling Teslas every S3XY model except S accross the last decade. Tesla offers inventory discounts from time to time, as well as other incentives. They will probably do something similar the end of this Q. What else is new? This does not connotate demand issues necessarily.

Again right now, just to keep us in context here, we are ONLY talking MY (at these deep discount levels) and ONLY in the US, and ONLY this Q. If inventories remain constant, that's what we want 25-35 days in inventory has been Tesla's kind of mean over the past 5 years (showed this in a previous post). We ended this Q with 28 days. Keeping inventory in this range, and ASP (and TTM FCF always) are what I'm eyeing this and next Q.

When the tech is mature how much effort will it take to have removable physical controls on all existing models via a refresh? Clearly not impossible.
Moreover, as we all know the clients always right. If they want to pull on the steering or punch the accelerator you need to let them do that.

Look, if you want to bury your head in the sand on how Elon has misled customers and investors, that's your prerogative. I'll stand on the side of truth.

Side note on that last point about brake rotors/pads:

If you don't use them much, the pads and rotors on any car can last a long time even without regenerative braking....so the statement Elon made is perfectly reasonable.

An honest reader/commenter would recognize that this was a tweet, not an essay meant to cover all extremes and edge cases. Elon was replying to somebody who didn't seem to know about regenerative braking at all. Honestly, I have seen people talk about "wearing out the regenerative brakes" or even suggesting that for the Model 2, Tesla could "save cost by removing the regenerative brakes." There were, and still are, plenty of people who don't understand the basics of an EV...so Elon was explaining how an EV works and the potential implication..

In the real world, we know there there are many Teslas that have had their brake pads and rotors replaced by an owner who is a bit of a "spirited driver" or perhaps just prefers to use the brake pedal instead of mostly "one pedal driving." And of course folks who track or autocross their Teslas are replacing even more often. That is logical to expect. Physics exists, and regenerative braking can't cover everything. But, I have no doubt that a judiciously driven Tesla without some mechanical brake-related flaw can potenailly go "the life of the car" without needing to replace the brakes.

If I want to go the "technically correct" route, I can also point out that Elon tweeted that brake pads on "a Tesla" never "need" to be replaced. It is logical to assume a "need" might arise under some usage scenarios...and Elon did NOT say tha brakes would last forever on "every single Tesla, no matter how you drive it." Again, in context, an honest and thoughtful reader of a short tweet would understand the intended implications -- a reasonable person would not expect 100% accuracy including all extremes and edge cases in a brief tweet.

My personal anecdote:
Google tells me that most cars get 30-70,000 miles out of a set of brake pads in a gas car, but it also points out that "some can last as long as 100,000 miles."

In the right conditions, on a regular old gas car, I've gone 150,000 miles, repeatably.

I bought an automatic 2008 Honda Fit new and still own it. 340,000 miles of mostly open-road driving: a 65-mile-each-way commute between a mountain and a desert, mostly 55 mph roads with only a few stops. I drive carefully...trying to coast a ways before I need to apply the brakes at the stops I can predict. Of course I use the brakes when they are needed.

I have replaced the front brake pads twice, once at around 150,000 miles, and I'm pretty sure the second time was at over 300,000 miles. I smoothed out the rotors each time, but did not replace them...so the rotors are still original. The rear has drum brakes, and I have not had need for any maintenance or replacements on those.

Sure, a Honda Fit at 2500 lbs is much lighter than a Tesla. It's also only got 15 inch wheels with small rotors and pads, and it has zero regeneration...and the Tesla 4-wheel disc brakes to further spread the wear, while the Honda is relying mostly on the front disks with some stopping power coming from the rear drums. And I ddrop 4000-6000 feet in elevation on most drives (and then obviously drive back up on the round trip).

So...yeah, if I can get 150,000 miles on one set of pads and 340,000+ miles on rotors and drum brakes, I sure as heck believe most EV's could exceed that and approach "the life of the car" if driven carefully.

Last edited:
I don't. This is transformative technology. No government wants to miss out on the benefits.

As long as Tesla robotaxi is proven to be safe and reliable there will be no stopping it. "Safe and reliable" will be the challenge. If Tesla can accomplish that, regulation will fall in line.
Honestly what's the benefit to a government. From the govt POV

You kill your national car manufacturers. HORRIBLE
You kill road tax, fuel tax, registration, etc etc...HORRIBLE
Cause congestion in urban areas...HORRIBLE
Kill taxi driver employement/gig workers etc....HORRIBLE

Only positives is a slight decrease in mortality & injury.

I actually don't see any benefit if I am the govt of Indonesia or Thailand or India or Korea or Germany etc etc.