Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whatever this means, if it means anything at all

-Build in as few batteries as possible to get acceptable range and top performance
-Provide optimistic EPA numbers to that end
-Equals lower internal cost per vehicle, higher capacity to produce more vehicles with the same number of batteries
-Charge maximum price
-????
-Profit

This is the antithesis of something like the Silverado we’re seeing now with a massive 203kWh pack or whatever it is, lots of benefits to Tesla’s approach

That's the key. In an RT there won't be any "regen unavailable" situations . . . because it won't let itself get into those.

(Also, since when does "low battery" not allow for regen?)

Hmm, given that a RT will be servicing folks ad-hoc, and hence won't know ahead of time what it's daily routes will be:

- As mentioned previously, how does it deal with cold weather (perhaps unanticipated)?

- How does it handle cases of significant elevation change?

- How does it handle situations that require more braking force than the motor can provide? (Reg performance Model 3's stop faster than they can accelerate... a RT would likely have an even less powerful motor)

Reactions: UncaNed
That dude doesn't know what he is talking about. He said rust on a disc makes the brakes stop working.

Reality is that rusty discs grab better than smooth ones. Your brakes don't fail to work, they work better with rust on them.

Hmm.. I'm not so sure of that.

Model S's (at least early ones like mine) were somewhat infamous for rust/scale buildup on the discs because regen braking meant you didn't necessarily operate the friction brakes often enough to knock buildup off. Tesla actually addressed it in a firmware update that would occasionally briefly activate the brakes to reduce that. It helps, but doesn't eliminate it entirely.

I notice reduced braking efficiency when the rust has had a chance to start building up and then it improves after a couple of brake applications to clean them up...

Good news on cybertruck charge rates:

from Drew Baglino:

Which is awesome, as the one genuine complaint I kept seeing about the CT was the charge curve being a disappointment. Its not like Tesla was having trouble finding CT buyers (even pure foundation series ones) anyway, but ever bit helps.
Its funny how all the awesome stuff Tesla does gets forgoteen because we always chase the latest news. Robotaxi reveal date has everyone so excited we have forgotten that the cybertruck ramp is ongoing. Remember when all we had to be excited about was a rumored model 3 highland :D.
Lets not even mention that its time for a bot update.
🤯

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

And all the complainers come back to apologize for their impatience, derogatory commentary, etc… countdown in 15 minutes, 6 months, a decade, never.

Tesla did NOT offer discounts this deep all throughout Q1. They made a temporary $1000 price cut in early Feb. They began to offer more deep inventory discounts late in March - mainly MY 7-seaters and really just the last 10 days as verified by my friend. I know because I was in the market for a MY here in Cleveland (a single data point I understand). Then they raised prices $1000 on MY across the board earlier this month; this was announced in Mar this would happen April 1 after the temporary discount. I've been buying and selling Teslas every S3XY model except S accross the last decade. Tesla offers inventory discounts from time to time, as well as other incentives. They will probably do something similar the end of this Q. What else is new? This does not connotate demand issues necessarily.

Again right now, just to keep us in context here, we are ONLY talking MY (at these deep discount levels) and ONLY in the US, and ONLY this Q. If inventories remain constant, that's what we want 25-35 days in inventory has been Tesla's kind of mean over the past 5 years (showed this in a previous post). We ended this Q with 28 days. Keeping inventory in this range, and ASP (and TTM FCF always) are what I'm eyeing this and next Q.

I chuckled when I saw this on Slickdeals:

1712677052935.png

If this is indeed the case... I have questions... firstly, why not make a bigger pack available for more $$$ instead of the bed battery?

At the time many suggested the bed battery would never actually exist as a production thing--- if they have the ability to put more in the actual pack once 4680 ramp is better that might turn out to be true

Ya, I wondered how this might impact Founder Series sales. Sure looks half packed to me.
I thought the battery sandwich was supposed to be structural. The air gap can't help that cause... quite the mystery.

You need some space, because in a thermal event the guts and gasses from a cell have to have somewhere to go and cooldown, else you start a chain reaction (Bolt says hi), but the amount of room seems weird

Doesn't seem to be enough room for another layer of cells while still keeping a gap, but too much room just for venting purpose, so a few possibilities:

- Validate that 4680s are safe over millions of miles and them double stack the pack with little to no room for venting

- Taller cells coming soon

- Vestigial design choice from when the pack would be a double stack with lower cells, unlikely since the truck was redesigned when they made it smaller

At the time many suggested the bed battery would never actually exist as a production thing--- if they have the ability to put more in the actual pack once 4680 ramp is better that might turn out to be true

$16k for a pack upgrade that doubles your range seems to be a sweet deal, maybe even more than doubles since 4680 will be ever improving, even with higher weight

Interesting court case in Switzerland linking climate change to humans right since it was ruled that it's "efforts to meet its emission reduction targets had been woefully inadequate". They are saying it could trickle to the other counters in Europe and UK, maybe an even more accelerated plan to move off fossil fuels.

Last edited: