Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a meeting with my ins broker yesterday. Highly interesting on a number of fronts. But to the point - more car insurance rate increases coming in this year across the board. This is going to get worse.
We heard about this meeting, it doesn't sound like they gave you a better rate. 🤷‍♂️ Anyone hurt or scratched?

Can you elaborate, please? This statement was for auto insurance in general for ICE and BEV? Any theories or other conclusions? Is this an EV symptom like from a dwindling ICE market with limited access to the Tesla market channels? Thx!

Most likely because the CT is the only Tesla vehicle designed with the intention to be used off-road, fording water crossings, etc.
Yes, this is the conventional wisdom as I mentioned. ;)

(Edit: So those videos showing Model 3's plowing through 3 ft of water for the past few years, clearly submerging the pack, will all have potential water damage? Just a hypothesis to square what seems like a round hole.)

Last edited:
Had a meeting with my ins broker yesterday. Highly interesting on a number of fronts. But to the point - more car insurance rate increases coming in this year across the board. This is going to get worse.

As a counter point, after State Farm raised my rate 40% over a period of under 2 years (with clear claims history), I found Progressive would provide equal coverage for nearly half the cost of the most recent State Farm renewal bill. Comparison based on total annual cost. State Farm max period offered was six month coverage, Progressive offered annual coverage and payment.

Any competitive business will eventually be forced to bring their prices down to meet the other player's rates. This seems to be happening. I'm not sure what their actuaries were basing the rate increases on, but it seems there may be lower rates looming on the horizon if my recent experience represents any sort of trend.

Yes, this is the conventional wisdom as I mentioned. ;)
Well, you mentioned "designed to float" and I don't think that really was a design parameter. They have mentioned how the door seals might need to be improved in later models to allow for that.

Pressurizing the battery was described as a design factor to prevent water ingress when driving in deep water. It is part of a menu selection the driver can choose when intending to operate a CT in that way.

NEWS: Tesla FSD (Supervised) v12.3.4 is now rolling out to some Tesla employees.
Exactly as predicted. Now FSD is end to end Neural Networks, the release cadence for updates is going to be tons faster.
Frankly 8th August seems a LONG way away. How many updates will FSD get before then? Seems mad, but it genuinely looks like the long awaited true FSD is actually here. And all that spare compute can be thrown at optimus soon. Awesome.

Also: I do hope Tesla is utilizing AI in its internal logistics planning / other projects. If I was Elon I'd have thrown a few top AI developers at the problem of developing improved battery chemistry or improved gigapress alloy formulation. Hell, might as well have AI manage parts ordering and shipping at this point.

When interest rates come down to what? The neutral rate now is probably mid 3% or even above 4%, Powell has already said he doesn’t expect rates to come back down to where they are pre-COVID and they were 2.25-2.5% at that time.

Fed Funds rate coming down also don’t mean the long end of the curve will come down, 5-10 year yields could still stay elevated for longer — the US has an insane amount of debt to sell.

There are currently no signs interest rates need to come down any time soon, expectations for rate cuts will likely walk up as we move through the year and it’s possible we get zero cuts this year.

Next year rate cuts could be offset by potential losses from the IRA tax credit requirements changing, between %s increasing and the exclusion of Chinese battery components.

We heard about this meeting, it doesn't sound like they gave you a better rate. 🤷‍♂️ Anyone hurt or scratched?

Can you elaborate, please? This statement was for auto insurance in general for ICE and BEV? Any theories or other conclusions? Is this an EV symptom like from a dwindling ICE market with limited access to the Tesla market channels? Thx!
All insurance markets are affected when any given insurance sector has inordinate losses. That is simply because the reinsurance market serves all sectors.
The major overall factors are:
- climate disasters which were underestimated actuarially nearly everywhere so everyone sees the direct consequence in things like home insurance, but also for car insurance since floods and fires end out destroying insured vehicles.
-war and civil disturbances that produced large marine, property and life losses.
-specifically for auto. Increasing technical complexity of every vehicle class is making repairs more costly. Similarly property damage is more expensive as damages become more expensive to treat. Liability is hit by those factors plus increasing medical expenses for anyone injured.
-Reinsurance is facing unusually large losses from climate-related covers, medical liability, and, perhaps most visible directly. Huge disasters such as the recent Francis Scott Key Bridge, that will have billions of dollars to pay for everything from business interruption, shipper compensation for lost goods, and an endless range of payments. Every single major disaster strikes reinsurance hard.
-auto insurance specifically is also affected negatively by increasing uninsured vehicles in operation, increasing loss severity resulting from multiple factors, including in many areas poorer road conditions and higher traffic density. These are global factors, in nearly all countries.

Those factors have affected every insurance category. The ones usually in the press are auto and health, although ask any Floridian, for example, about Howeowners. Quite a few categories have protective pools set up, sometimes for auto, often for homeowners.

There is nothing in this specific to Tesla. To reduce the negative impact the only individual actions are to increase deductibles, and maintain stellar credit scores, marital status and residential stability, combine other coverages (e.g. homeowners) and...above all things don't have traffic violations, claims or accidents!

I've done all those things relentlessly. Still, despite no attributed accident ever, no credited claim. (One claim had both parties insured with same company, one had another driver in my car and the other). Both of those were a decade back. Despite combining coverages (never a claim on homeowners) and high deductibles my auto, health and residential coverages are all up by 30% or more this year. FWIW, those cases are in both Brazil and US.Those are the macro effects, felt in every market everywhere.

No, actually I can reduce my vehicle rates via a number of ways. Indeed, as much as 60%+. So I can undo all the rate increases and future one if I want. I am likely to make a good stab at it without significant sacrifice at my end.

There’s primarily government 💩 going on, changes in actuary methodology, and repair availability/costs - these are nationwide AND locally. There are other factors at play explained by @unk45 (ie., natural disasters, more claims because people no longer have the money to pay out of pocket for less severe damages to their vehicles etc…)

Increase for all vehicle types, except of course those vehicles they outright refuse to insure - several Kia and I believe it was Hyundai models at the top of the getthefudgeoutofmyoffice list.

There was admission that they are way behind Tesla. As in, their methods of determining insurance rates for Tesla vehicles has been behind the technology from the get go and remains behind. Tesla moving way faster than their bureaucracy. That was both disappointing and encouraging to hear. Disappointing because they’re paperweights, but encouraging because of the self-awareness Tesla is changing the landscape.

Other interesting tidbits not directly related. For a podunk place, with a self-admitted country bumpkin broker, he was decently informed on Tesla, interested in knowing more about the vehicles, and didn’t say or hint at a single disparaging thing. He’s even been in one and was blown away. He’s also considered owning one but doesn’t quite yet have the confidence based on his current knowledge of charging infrastructure and how charging typically works for owners. I allayed some of his concerns in that area. His proposed vehicle use definitely would require a bit of forethought on occasion.

Last edited:
As a counter point, after State Farm raised my rate 40% over a period of under 2 years (with clear claims history), I found Progressive would provide equal coverage for nearly half the cost of the most recent State Farm renewal bill. Comparison based on total annual cost. State Farm max period offered was six month coverage, Progressive offered annual coverage and payment.

Any competitive business will eventually be forced to bring their prices down to meet the other player's rates. This seems to be happening. I'm not sure what their actuaries were basing the rate increases on, but it seems there may be lower rates looming on the horizon if my recent experience represents any sort of trend.
Also discussed at meeting. Local or lack of local competition can affect rates. I am in the middle of nowhere vs a place like LA County.

Factory in India - great
FSD 12.3.4 and more, not bad
Next models this year along with Robo - awesome.
Optimus documentation work in progress - surprise
Cybertruck ramp very well executed - Linette Lopez crazy
Cybertruck battery open shows 1/2 empty - take that range nuts.
Giga Mexico still on track - Viva Mexico!

I probably forgot a few, but hey, feel free to add.

Of course, a 4680 that’s ~40% taller is then a ~46110, unless you commensurately alter the diameter so it’s a (WAG) 52110…..
….after all the delay in bringing the 4680 form to scaled production, do we potentially have that to look forward to?
I think they will stay focused on the 4680, both in production volume and meeting the original specs on battery day. I believe the Model 3 not having the federal tax credit is indirectly a result the of slow ramp on the 4680. The 4680 should be in the Model Y (it is not currently) which frees up 2170 from Nevada for the Model 3.

U.S. vehicle sales cooled modestly in March​

• U.S. vehicle sales fell 1.3% month-on-month (m/m) to 15.5 million (annualized) units in March – coming in below consensus expectations for an increase to 15.9 million units.
  • Unadjusted sales volumes were 1.44 million units or 4.6% above year-ago levels. The average daily selling rate (DSR) was 53,260 – calculated over 27 days – up from March 2023's 50,926 daily rate.
  • Passenger vehicle sales grew 1.3% year-on-year (y/y) while sales of light-trucks were up by 5.4% y/y. Light-trucks accounted for 80% of last month's sales, marginally higher than its share in March 2023.

Key Implications​

• Light vehicles sales fell slightly to end the first quarter as affordability challenges weighed on the market. While the average transaction price (ATP) is 2.2% lower than it was a year-ago, income growth over the past four years has lagged ATP growth and significantly lagged growth in the average monthly payment for financed vehicles. This has concentrated demand in the non-luxury segment of the market, which accounted for most of the 2.7% y/y growth in sales for the first quarter of the year.
  • We expect sales will continue to trend upward over the coming quarters as income gains and price moderation improve affordability, but elevated financing costs are expected to remain a headwind through 2024. As the Federal Reserve begins to lower borrowing costs in the second half of the year, this fading headwind is expected to support sales growth moving into 2025.

I think they will stay focused on the 4680, both in production volume and meeting the original specs on battery day. I believe the Model 3 not having the federal tax credit is indirectly a result the of slow ramp on the 4680. The 4680 should be in the Model Y (it is not currently) which frees up 2170 from Nevada for the Model 3.
New ad? "Cybertruck: Best in class, with room to grow." I could be a marketer 😂
In wonder if Tesla are hedging multiple bets with that space in the pack. Worst case, a double layer of 2170's and room to spare. 2170's will be available in quantity for quite a while. If thermal management improves (speculative here that this is a concern preventing double layering) OR cost reductions continue, double up the 4680 layer. Massive range at affordable cost. Or, as others have stated, move to a taller form factor (Rivian's or others mentioned before) and harvest that additional range.
Multiple options with only a pack and BMS change, hopefully. Cover all bases with minimal disruption to the Cybertruck ramp. We like that ramp. Leave it the heck alone.
Tangentially, most folks may have forgotten that the 4680 time line aimed for 2026. I recall the rough order of improvements as:
1. Make 'em fast (build for mass manufacture)
2. Make 'em cheap (minimal complexity, minimum material)
3. Make 'em better (chemistry improvements yielding better energy density)
To be sure, all are being worked on at once. The progress on each is hard to quantify out here.
Last Tegtmeyer flyover of Giga Texas that I saw, he described some of the ongoing work as adding to line 1.5, as in about a line and a half of 4680 production are currently installed. Anyone know more detail?