Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is good news or bad news.
Regardless, there's probably more there than meets the eye. Seems very possible that the required negotiations have not yet concluded.

I am only peripherally aware of Indian business practices, but I have heard that an agreement in principle is just the start of the real negotiations.

This may have been posted already. It's even more fascinating in light of the knowledge that both XAI and Tesla EACH have puchased 100,000 H100s. Grok+FSD=the way

I've seen a few comments from this Jim Fan on FSD and Grok. Made me curious where he's from in relation to Tesla. Turns out he's pretty high up NVidia robotics/embodied AI. Interesting.

His comments on integrating LLMs with FSD reminded me of Wayves recent video on their new Lingo 2 model - which integrates language description and control with the driving agent.

Cool stuff, seems to be this would fit well with the "chain of thought" process used for planning more complex, multi step processes.

Exciting stuff for future, would be very happy to see some of this make it to (UK?!) Teslas one day.

If robotaxi and autonomy don't work, Tesla will pivot back to consumer cars. It is not that big of a deal if you can look past a year or two. This company's ability to pivot quickly is one of its greatest strengths. The first several years were a "burning dumpster fire of stupidity," according to the CEO. They had to scrap the entire original business plan, fire the original CEO, and start over while also running out of money and staring down the Great Financial Crisis. In the end it worked out fine.

Even if all Tesla did was to take the current level of vehicle and manufacturing tech and spread it across a wider array of vehicle type, let the supercharger and service network grow, and increasingly advertise, they still would win. There is no one else. Need I remind the community that still today in 2024 NO ONE ELSE has disclosed positive profitability on EVs, not even BYD who lump their BEV numbers in with plug-in hybrids? That BEV competitors saw significant sales declines and announced major cancellations and postponements of their lofty BEV growth ambitions shortly after Tesla reduced prices? The robotaxi's form and architecture will be quite different from that of a consumer vehicle, but most of the Gen 3/Investor Day technology will probably be in there, and lessons learned will largely carry over to other types of vehicles.

Tesla has such a limited lineup. The styling of the 3 and Y look almost identical. Tesla doesn't have a large SUV, hatchback, van, minivan, small sedan, or traditional pickup. The paint menu does not include many of the most popular car colors. Considering that Tesla leads in every segment they currently participate in, the growth opportunities are obvious. Tesla is approximately even with Toyota in California, off of almost entirely Y and 3 sales. This demonstrates that Tesla can achieve nearly 20% overall share of a major automotive market, despite a comparative dearth of offerings. Having a simple lineup and few options is good while growing and learning, but in the long run and at larger scale, it makes sense to offer a variety of more specialized options, like everyone else has done. So, if Tesla decides to bet on this side quest for now, it's minor risk with potentially huge reward. I am not especially concerned, because they have plenty of money and competitive advantages to fail and go back to the original plan.

Same, I can't vote as shares are held with my UK broker H&L in a mix of ISA, Pension and trading account.
Why can’t you buy shares direct from TD Ameritrade / Schwab or some other company. Maybe this is a Europe thing, but just buy 1 share direct and you can vote. Is it really much harder than that?

Source? I heard rumors but none seem substantiated.

From I can only deduce each have more than 30K.
I edited the post to more accurately reflect reality. Good catch.

The rumor of Tesla having 100k H100s came from "Tesla Newswire" on X. In a recent Spaces from April 10, Elon mentioned Grok 2 uses 20k H100s and it will be released in May, and they are raising $3B (at a valuation of $18B) for 100k H100s for Grok 3 sometime soon.

This post mplies (IMO) Tesla will spend Billions ($3B=100k H100s)ton the near term to remain competitive.

Last edited:
Gross vehicle profit would take an immediate hit due to increased warranty reserves based on accounting firm predictions of failure rates. Given the bathtub curve of failures, and degradation in general, that may not be fiscally beneficial.
Speaking only on this point. Actuarial analysis takes into account claims frequency and severity (actually all insurance underwriting follows that two element evaluation. How it is done can become devilishly complex, conceptually it is simple). Extended warranty on known performance items such as most Tesla powertrain components, become interesting.
-First remove vehicles totally damaged prior to warranty extension. That is pretty easy to calculate but is likely to be an aggregate of ~20% of the fleet during first five years. Don't ask the basis for that estimate please.
-Second consider failure rate within existing fleet based on time and distance traveled. That data is available on all existing Tesla fleet.
- Then aggregating the expense side there is only a single difficult problem;
-Valuing potential incremental sales and lost repeat sales as people keep their cars longer due to that warranty. (note: Surprise! Hyundai owners kept them longer than did owners of less deeply warranted equivalent cars. (There amay be public information on that one. I ddi not look.)

Frankly I do not know if this is a good idea or not. Somehow my notion is that an equivalent expenditure for home chargers, supercharging and the like is probably more efficacious.
I do not know. It would only take a week or so of Tesla internal data and one talented analyst to find out.

Yes, those shareholding methods leave a lot to be desired for many. It's a shame that better methods cannot be devised. Do you have a general view of Starlink and Tesla marketing methods?
Yes, but far too many variables to discuss in this thread. In general both have had quite excellent marketing tactics and strategy, with SpaceX perhaps the single most effective one thus far. Tesla was outstanding for several years, with quite specific approaches to each major country. Tesla, however, has lost the skills that brought them here. What comes next is not defined, although influential interested parties insist on adopting ancient and inefficient traditional methods. The jury is out. Only my opinions nothing more.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Skipdd and Rarity
How's a 10 second fix for the Cybertruck recall sound?
GLnwE1LboAAdDPk.jpg
GLnwE1MaoAAQMbH.jpg

And it's previously been debunked, c'mon man try harder, it's too easy.

Fair enough, news moves fast.

Doesn't really matter though. Tesla is demand limited at current prices. So, sure, they can increase production to spread out fixed costs over more units...but those units will pile up in inventory or they'll have to cut prices again, which will lower margins.

States that have successfully suppressed showrooms and service centers are finally having an effect on overall demand perhaps.

Perhaps you are confusing demand with sales?

People who want an EV (demand) is steadily increasing, but, some people who are addicted to instant gratification will choose to purchase an ICE from a dealer that has stock on the lot (sales) in those states with the most onerous legislation in place protecting the dealership cartel.

Rather than endure the steps necessary to get what they prefer in their backwater state (EV-wise), they'll settle for what meets their emotional needs immediately. Still, they want an EV, and tell themselves their next car will be one,... as they drive off in their shiny new hybrid.

It is a problem, but, people are a problem too. Some of them, anyway.

Doesn't matter though, as the dice are loaded and EVs will continue to displace more and more ICE vehicles, because they are better on every metric.

Yesterday, while driving past a mega-dealership at a prime location on an intersection of two highways my mind wandered, exploring the possibilities as to what new uses that property will find once the dealer is no longer in business.

HODL

Last edited:
I'm wondering whether sales could be improved by a targeted marketing campaign. What I don't mean is Tesla using traditional advertising channels. What I'm thinking is for Tesla to create an program that would target first time EV buyers of its lower priced 3 and Y models. First Tesla would add an additional monetary incentive for first time buyers, college graduates, active military and first responders. Second, Tesla would include a wall charger with installation costs paid by Tesla. Third, Tesla would contact the new owner on a regular basis to gauge satisfaction.

Fair enough, news moves fast.

Doesn't really matter though. Tesla is demand limited at current prices. So, sure, they can increase production to spread out fixed costs over more units...but those units will pile up in inventory or they'll have to cut prices again, which will lower margins.
Source provided gets trashed, then proceeds to strawman using speculation. Noise bro, this is what you are.