Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@DarkandStormy

Do you think that's a reason someone might cease being an investor.... or do you think that's the only reason?

I ask because you seem to be trying to argue the second, but that makes no actual sense as an argument.

Drew is obviously free to do whatever he wants. There were/are some tax implications of exercising his options, so it wouldn't be unexpected to sell some shares to cover the tax bill (I estimated 20-30%). I believe if he had simply exercised his options and not sold for a year or longer, the difference in STCG vs LTCG comes out to around $40m. So he's sacrificing ~$40m to sell nearly all of his shares now.

I don't begrudge him his success. If he wants to buy a yacht and go off grid with his family, God's speed.

But it is a little odd that one of the highest level execs - meaning he has access to everything the company is doing - isn't holding onto more shares as the company 'flips the switch' on the robotaxi fleet. I mean, Elon has said we're on the verge of the largest asset increase (Optimus) in history. Does Drew not care to 10x those shares? Or does he not believe that sentiment?

Question I cannot find an answer to online and my CPA friends seem to think it's worth a go. If I use my Cybertruck Powershare feature to provide battery backup for my house, does it qualify for the Residential Energy Credit on form 5695?

The instructions for line 5a have no language aside from the minimal energy capacity

"Qualified battery storage technology costs. Qualified battery storage technology costs are costs for battery storage technology that is installed in connection with your home located in the United States and has a capacity of at least 3 kilowatt hours."

If so, this really changes the value prop of PowerShare on vehicles.

Even digging through Ford forums for this V2H feature are people just saying Yes or No with no backup or reasoning.
According to some on the CT forum, no.

It needs to be fixed and then this line in the credit:

“Costs allocable to a swimming pool, hot tub, or any other energy storage medium which has a function other than the function of such storage don't qualify for the residential energy efficient property credit”

Someone said they weren't going to use it as a truck at all and show the IRS that it has no miles and see if it will work, but the fixed portion still may not pass.

edit: the wording is stationary, not fixed.

Can we move on from the Drew-selling-shares FUD? Does it really matter why he sold? Even if he did sell because he lost faith in the company (and I'm not saying he did), it wouldn't mean he is right. Yes, Drew's a great guy and his contributions to Tesla have been INCREDIBLE, but there are tens of thousands of people still working hard to make Tesla successful, and based on what I'm seeing, they are doing just that.

Drew is obviously free to do whatever he wants. There were/are some tax implications of exercising his options, so it wouldn't be unexpected to sell some shares to cover the tax bill (I estimated 20-30%). I believe if he had simply exercised his options and not sold for a year or longer, the difference in STCG vs LTCG comes out to around $40m. So he's sacrificing ~$40m to sell nearly all of his shares now.

I don't begrudge him his success. If he wants to buy a yacht and go off grid with his family, God's speed.

But it is a little odd that one of the highest level execs - meaning he has access to everything the company is doing - isn't holding onto more shares as the company 'flips the switch' on the robotaxi fleet. I mean, Elon has said we're on the verge of the largest asset increase (Optimus) in history. Does Drew not care to 10x those shares? Or does he not believe that sentiment?
You're on repeat. Repeatedly.
Maybe he just couldn't face another decade of intense pressure and time commitment. Maybe he just wanted a complete break from thinking about Tesla at all, a fresh start in a new space where nobody knew his name.

If Garbo could do it, why can't he?

I'm sorry, are we considering a guy with a fledgling t-shirt company and no corporate finance experience a source now?

For a guy who was clearly unaware of the investment issues requiring Drew's options activity, and as such posted baseless insinuations regarding "what he knew" here on an investment forum, you might want tone down the casting aspersions on others...

You're on repeat. Repeatedly.
Maybe he just couldn't face another decade of intense pressure and time commitment. Maybe he just wanted a complete break from thinking about Tesla at all, a fresh start in a new space where nobody knew his name.

If Garbo could do it, why can't he?
There was obviously a change that took place at Tesla when 3 top people left during the layoffs. All of them taking time off for personal time like other Tesla executives have done in the past (only to go to work elsewhere or at a competitor afterward) shows this is how they deal with letting go with these types in power....but it doesn't matter.

Tesla is big enough and has enough talent that they will go on. We've seen many people leave and each one was going to doom the company, but things keep progressing.

I think it's naive to believe they all left on their own, but it's also a pointless to be pessimistic about all of these departures.

he's no longer in a position to influence Tesla's decisions. So it makes sense to diversify his portfolio to de-risk his own financial well-being. The folks at Enron were also absolutely sure they had a plan that would continue to bag them huge stock increases, and many of them ended up screwed because they didn't diversify.

Note that he didn't sell everything -- not by a mile.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Question I cannot find an answer to online and my CPA friends seem to think it's worth a go. If I use my Cybertruck Powershare feature to provide battery backup for my house, does it qualify for the Residential Energy Credit on form 5695?

The instructions for line 5a have no language aside from the minimal energy capacity

"Qualified battery storage technology costs. Qualified battery storage technology costs are costs for battery storage technology that is installed in connection with your home located in the United States and has a capacity of at least 3 kilowatt hours."

If so, this really changes the value prop of PowerShare on vehicles.

Even digging through Ford forums for this V2H feature are people just saying Yes or No with no backup or reasoning.
Sorry. Transportation is explicitly excluded.

(A) In generalThe term “energy storage technology” means—
(i)
property (other than property primarily used in the transportation of goods or individuals and not for the production of electricity) which receives, stores, and delivers energy for conversion to electricity (or, in the case of hydrogen, which stores energy), and has a nameplate capacity of not less than 5 kilowatt hours, and

He still holds $5M+ worth of shares. Last form 4 for Drew B.

Last edited:
Sorry. Transportation is explicitly excluded.

What does "Primarily" mean in this case? My CT sits in my driveway plugged into my house easily 51%+ of the time. So, it is primarily a home energy storage device for me. Not trying to cause trouble, but an honest question.

What does "Primarily" mean in this case? My CT sits in my driveway plugged into my house easily 51%+ of the time. So, it is primarily a home energy storage device for me. Not trying to cause trouble, but an honest question.
It says it can't have any other function but storage and needs to be stationary.

Like all things, you can do it, but if you get caught, the wording suggest it wouldn't qualify. Someone said a tax expert said the F150L didn't.

The Kia EV9, I guess they skimped on a design team, not my cup of tea, looks like a box, plus it's a Kia. Regardless without FSD these will all end up becoming spare battery supplies for FSD enabled vehicles.

View attachment 1041957
Don't bet on that. I have no personal experience with the ne crop of Hyundai/Kia EV's but I have had with previous ones. They have had quite good appeal among people already predisposed to their offerings, and some others too. Their NA business is another question, but I really don't know how to judge that. Without a doubt they are suffering greatly from Chinese competition in many global markets.

Some, logically, assumed that the stationary and not to be used for other things such as moving people was specifically to rule out vehicles with V2G/H capabilities.

Nothing against those of you that are attorneys, but if that is the case then maybe just say that and leave out the ambiguity? I am sure the IRS has clear instructions on this.

Attention European TSLA shareholders

$TSLA I contacted DeGiro to double-check how to cast your vote.
IF you are an Tesla European shareholder and your broker is DeGiro:
- They can vote for you. It'll cost you €10.
- You can send your vote to [email protected]
- They'll send you a confirmation when they've cast your vote