Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The high price of charging would be my concern for folks who don't have solar/home/charge at home. Rates are pretty high in general for public EV charging I feel and even though it might be cheaper than gas, it's sorta a crappy thing if an EV owner has to "guess" or as you say, just suck it up with random price changes to support a car. I imagine there is already on-peak pricing at public chargers (makes sense) where unless you charge off hours (life inconvenience), it's still a massive pain in the butt for people to deal/live with.
I wouldn't call it a massive pain, but it is an ongoing moderate nuisance. Electricity in London is pretty expensive in general. My home rate is ~50% of the Ubitricity rate.

The NHSTA investigation is on the NHSTA website, easy to read the source instead of the Reuters spin on it, just search for Tesla and view “investigations” under the model.

(Doesn’t seem that serious?)

Here’s the text:

April 25, 2024 NHTSA ACTION NUMBER: RQ24009OPEN INVESTIGATION
Recall 23V838 Remedy Effectiveness
NHTSA Action Number: RQ24009

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Opened From: April 25, 2024–Present

Summary

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) is opening a Recall Query to assess the remedy adequacy of Recall 23V838. On December 12, 2023, Tesla filed a Defect Information Report (Recall 23V838) applicable to all Tesla models produced and equipped with any version of its Autopilot system, which Tesla described as an SAE Level 2 (L2) Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS). Autopilot is the simultaneous engagement of Tesla’s Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (TACC) and Autosteer. In describing the safety defect, Tesla’s Defect Information Report (DIR) explained that “the prominence and scope of the system’s controls may be insufficient to prevent driver misuse,” and Tesla committed to the deployment of a multipart remedy aimed at improving system and engagement controls and reducing mode confusion.

EA22002 (upgraded from PE21020) was opened to investigate whether Tesla’s Autopilot contained a defect that created an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety and involved extensive crash analysis, human factors analysis, vehicle evaluations, and assessment of vehicle control authority and driver engagement technologies. The work conducted in these investigations aligns with Tesla’s conclusion in its 23V838 recall filing. During EA22002, ODI identified at least 13 crashes involving one or more fatalities and many more involving serious injuries in which foreseeable driver misuse of the system played an apparent role.

Tesla filed Recall 23V838 to address concerns regarding the Autopilot system investigated in EA22002. Following deployment of the remedy in Recall 23V838, ODI identified concerns due to post-remedy crash events and results from preliminary NHTSA tests of remedied vehicles. Also, Tesla has stated that a portion of the remedy both requires the owner to opt in and allows a driver to readily reverse it. Tesla has also deployed non-remedy updates to address issues that appear related to ODI’s concerns under EA22002. This investigation will consider why these updates were not a part of the recall or otherwise determined to remedy a defect that poses an unreasonable safety risk.

ODI is therefore opening this Recall Query investigation to further evaluate the adequacy of the remedy for recall 23V838
Seems the Escalator requires an On/Off switch so that people may still use it manually if they so choose.

The high price of charging would be my concern for folks who don't have solar/home/charge at home. Rates are pretty high in general for public EV charging I feel and even though it might be cheaper than gas, it's sorta a crappy thing if an EV owner has to "guess" or as you say, just suck it up with random price changes to support a car. I imagine there is already on-peak pricing at public chargers (makes sense) where unless you charge off hours (life inconvenience), it's still a massive pain in the butt for people to deal/live with.
I agree with what you said. This had been my solution when I wasn't as flush with money:

In Ohio, there are so many free chargers with ChargePoint or Tesla destination alone at museums or at Whole Foods or at restaurants or at offices or at rec centers or at malls. When I workout for an hour and shoot some hoops, I get 60-100 miles for free. When I go to a museum or the mall with my kids, I get 100+ miles. Sometimes I go to a coffee shop with my laptop to get work done while I charge for free. It's not difficult, with some creative thinking to get free electrons every single week. Back in 2016, when I was making good money, but not yet a Teslanaire, I managed to charge for free all the time. The charging situation has only improved since then. This is Ohio, I can't imagine other places have less options for free charging.

My advice: download the ChargePoint app and look for free chargers. Use your Tesla "Charging" search for destination chargers (single lightning bolt) and not superchargers (triple lightning bolt).

The median household income for Washington state for 2017-2021 was $82,400.

Even the highest, King county which includes Seattle, was not that far above the limit at $106,326.

The lowest county, Whitman, was only $43,613. That gave it a rank of 2700 out of 3141 US counties.

No so hilarious.

And many people who live in the exurbs and rural areas commute, often for long distances, into a city or a town. So these people will disproportionately benefit from the lower fuel and maintenance costs of EVs. That may allow them to afford the FSD subscription which will improve their health and safety.

Not to mention the robotaxi income while they’re working in town.

Seems like a fairly enlightened law to me.

(Edit: I don't qualify. Those income limits are just too low to carry the insurance costs.)
Immediately thought I should get a 3 for the girlfriend and sell our CR-V. She drives about 100 miles a month, so no danger of running up the lease mileage limit.
But then I remembered what I'm paying in insurance for my MYLR, and that nixed it.
Really expected Tesla Insurance in Washington before this.
Insurance costs would likely kill the deal for a lot of middle income people.

Last edited:
Tesla became a way to get those 2 min of popularity. It's crazy but this is the world we're living in at the moment.
We all know who the Delaware's judge is, the 7 shares guy and his lawyers, CNBC reporters, even ws analysts. Now senators... Everyone's here using Tesla to redeem from their miserable lives. Instead of living their normal life with decency they prefer popularity instead of promoting and celebrating entrepreneurship and progress. Sad..

Last edited:
Looks like they are going for max pain of 160!

Yes, the 160 strike is the last tall call wall. There were over 33,000 contracts open at that strike yesterday. MMs own a couple of U.S. Senators though, so it'll be alright (for them).

However, looking at options open interest from yesterday, the Sweet spot might be at the 167.50 strike price. That's the balance point between puts and calls. This is what I have coined the "Put Call breakpoint".

🍻

Last edited:
Has nobody really posted this????
We believe version 12 is ready for supervised FSD in LHD countries. RHD will take a bit longer.
Like... holy cow. Is that not an admission that we are about to see FSD beta in China AND Europe? Certainly this year.
Thats incredible news, both for owners and for investors. I stand by my belief that this not only increases subscription revenue, but vehicle sales. Even if you cant afford FSD now, why would you lock yourself out of a potential upgrade by being any other brand?

That's true, but landlords should realize that this is an opportunity to make some extra money. If charging is available, tenants WILL buy EVs because the price of an EV will continue to plummet.

Plus, the initial investment for the landlord is pretty low. It doesn't cost much to add a couple of chargers, then add more as needed.

So the landlord gets paid and the tenant saves money buying electricity instead of gasoline. Tenants also save money on unexpected repairs which makes them less likely to fall behind on the rent.
It only doesn't cost that much if the electrical supply is sufficient. If they have upgrade the service, it will cost plenty. And I fear far too many will put in two only and call it done.

That would be a ticket-able offense in most of the US as you have to drive the wrong way twice to park in such a way. Seems really dangerous.
Has anyone ever received a ticket from that? Here it's illegal too but the police don't ticket it, and people do it all the time. This is likely a law that could go away and no one would miss it.

Here is the linked in post from the Advisor to the Swedish Transport Admin.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 3.11.45 PM.jpg