Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While concerning, Isn't that similar to what most people do with "news" everyday? They let their preferred (yet biased) media outlet consume the facts and decide for them what is newsworthy and what the narrative of the facts are? Most people are too lazy to seek fact-based unbiased information from multiple sources for news as it's much more work than just consuming MSM. Unfortunately, people have proven they are lazy / too busy.
I agree that few - in fact, no one - can amass all information from prime sources. Knowing how and where to collect, review and synthesize material, however - if that is not one of the facets of creation that absolutely defines what it is to be human, then what is?

And if this is not veering off topic, then what is? But I am not closing this discussion. Yet.

This is normal for Elon, and we saw how he gutted legacy Twitter (now X) and replaced the fat with an agile and dedicated skeleton crew. As others have mentioned, we don't know what Elon knows but he seems very averse to inefficiency in all areas of the companies he runs.

There's no way he's permanently wiping out nominal Supercharging support and the network is still there. He's trying to make it more efficient, probably with a new leader for that effort who's more in line with his thinking.

Things may be different now that Tesla is NACS and this may affect Tesla's former role as sole provider of Supercharging stalls that every EV will be able to use. Something else may be in the works.

As usual, Elon is being Elon, but that's what has gotten Tesla, SpaceX, Starlink, Neuralink, Tesla Insurance, Tesla Solar, Tesla Energy, Optimus, FSD, and others where they are today.
I have a friend that has been working at Tesla for a while now and he shared an email Elon sent regarding layoffs, hardcore, etc. I did not post it on here because mods might remove it for being inappropriate or what not.

TL DR: He wants people to put in 80 hrs and if they are not willing to ditch their personal life for the mission, they're out. Company wide ban on frivolous activities, and third, any complaints about the new initiative, they're out. Lastly, he mentioned that tesla cannot afford to carry any dead weight which is why the SC team was let go.

While concerning, Isn't that similar to what most people do with "news" everyday? They let their preferred (yet biased) media outlet consume the facts and decide for them what is newsworthy and what the narrative of the facts are? Most people are too lazy to seek fact-based unbiased information from multiple sources for news as it's much more work than just consuming MSM. Unfortunately, people have proven they are lazy / too busy.
Isn't that why we are on TMC?

I have a friend that has been working at Tesla for a while now and he shared an email Elon sent regarding layoffs, hardcore, etc. I did not post it on here because mods might remove it for being inappropriate or what not.

TL DR: He wants people to put in 80 hrs and if they are not willing to ditch their personal life for the mission, they're out. Company wide ban on frivolous activities, and third, any complaints about the new initiative, they're out. Lastly, he mentioned that tesla cannot afford to carry any dead weight which is why the SC team was let go.
Geez, I hope this isn't true. Elon needs to understand there aren't enough "Elons" in the world to fill up a company the size of Tesla.

Edit: Did Elon say it applies for a limited time, such as "for the next year" or something like that? I've worked hardcore, maybe 60 hours a week, for extended periods, but if there was no end in sight, I'd have to move on.

Elon is insane. Good luck running a manufacturing company the size of Tesla and requiring 80 hour work weeks from all employees. People have lives a responsibilities outside of their daily job.

As a long time shareholder, I think Elon’s best years a behind him. He’s not stable and needs to go.

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or humorous.

They better hurry up with the bot, because this isn't going to fly. If true, I would support unionization to stop this bs. If true, probably time to sell off my TSLA. I'm not going to support slavery. Damn, now I'm a troll. Maybe it's all warranted. So this is how it ends.

Because its not reasonable, even as a startup.
It's Elon. Sometimes he just says stuff, even in an official message, to get a point across. Sub 10 micron wasn't possible on the CT, either.

Tesla is thinning out the entire company, much like Elon did at Twitter. From leadership to the lowest levels...even the SC team (just another shot at that horse). Cutting cost, trimming unnecessary positions, and getting ready for the next phase. The approach, merits, and delivery are all debatable, but it's going to be a year or so until we can really judge these moves as good or not for the company.

Thank you for sharing. I don't know how anyone with a family/spouse can support this longer term. It's one thing when I was a young/new worker/much smaller company/etc and I've done the insane hours, but most spouses/kids won't put up with this. The sad thing is even after your 80 hours, you may still be let go as we've seen before.

I suppose replace older higher paid workers for young folks is the plan. I can see folks doing this for a pure AI or other startups, but like I mentioned before, 4x TSLA is already at 2 trillion+. Maybe one can find another life mission somewhere else. Succeed at Tesla, end up divorced, kid disowns you. I hope we can see the real email.

Also, unlike Elon getting a 50 bil comp package and is one of the world's riches, regular folks making the same $120k for 80 hours vs. 40 hours seems like a bad deal. (That $120k from that youtuber that was just let go).

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. I don't know how anyone with a family/spouse can support this longer term. It's one thing when I was a young/new worker and I've done the insane hours, but most spouses/kids won't put up with this. The sad thing is even after your 80 hours, you may still be let go as we've seen before.

I suppose replace older higher paid workers for young folks is the plan.
Like @uscbucsfan has pointed out, maybe Elon is just trying to get his message across. He has to understand that not everyone is wired like he is, how this plays out, who knows? I am sure there is a waiting list of people wanting to work at Tesla, it is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Reactions: Spacep0d