Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always said Energy was the sleeping giant waiting in the background for its turn to take the limelight. This is coming to fruition nicely! Not bad for jus a car company :)

Tesla Energy is certainly about to start producing large revenues and its on its way to being as large as the Tesla auto segment, even larger maybe, BUT the real sleeping giants comparatively are Robotaxis and Optimus. Both of those will eventually be far, far larger revenue wise than Energy and Auto combined.

Cool it, folks. Lora @ CNBC says this is bad news. Sell! /s

1719930020559.png

Cool it, folks. Lora @ CNBC says this is bad news. Sell! /s

View attachment 1061544
Technically she's correct, but I came to the conclusion that we should interpret 2023 as an extraordinary year.
If we manage to reduce the gap with it, I would be very happy. I don't think we will surpass it but maybe Q3 and Q4 will surprise us. Anyway, Q2 is a good quarter especially after the doom and gloom of the last 6 months.

On one hand, it's nice to see it going up, on another, in around a month or so I will be able to start buying again after almost a year hiatus and even having to sell a bit

So maybe don't go too high too fast? 😁
While we all want you to accumulate more shares, you have been given ample opportunities/time while wall st suppressed $TSLA :)

Also interesting that the lease take rates have declined even further. It was 5% a year ago. With the IRA allowing the tax credit on leases without regards to the battery manufacturing requirements (i.e. RWD Model 3) you would think this would be increasing. I wonder if the leases are actually owned by a 3rd party bank. Either way good for Tesla financials.

View attachment 1061528
Unlike other car makes, you cannot buy the vehicle after the lease, so whatever appreciation goes to Tesla, not the lease customer. It's a bad financial move from a customer viewpoint, not surprised lease rates are low.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: capster and GSP
As many said last Q, the inventory accumulated would be unloaded this Q. There was all this talk about soft demand. What say ye now that the tables have turned? Is demand now suddenly outpacing supply? Or perhaps many vehicles were just staged in Shanghai South Port, for example.

Tesla has had 0% financing in China for a while, in Germany inventory Ys are 6000 EUR off.. Not saying that this is the only reason deliveries are up, but low prices sure help.

As many said last Q, the inventory accumulated would be unloaded this Q. There was all this talk about soft demand. What say ye now that the tables have turned? Is demand now suddenly outpacing supply?

Production was only 410,831--- versus 479,700 in Q2 of 2023.

Demand did not rise to meet supply, supply was cut to meet demand. (and loan rates were bought down and other promos as well to make that happen- all of which have a cost).

That's a smart business move, but does not, at all, change the fact Tesla is down YoY on deliveries 2 quarters in a row now after years of 50% CAGR... so yes, demand is soft compared to the last decade- and Tesla cut production to account for it.

The big story at ER is likely to be energy profits though- most interesting to me will be if they reiterate as they have as recently as Q1 that such #s are lumpy, or if they say they expect to keep this near peak-Lathrop output on an ongoing basis now.

As many said last Q, the inventory accumulated would be unloaded this Q. There was all this talk about soft demand. What say ye now that the tables have turned? Is demand now suddenly outpacing supply? Or perhaps many vehicles were just staged in Shanghai South Port, for example.

At what cost though? I haven't followed all the price changes for the vehicles, but there are multiple countries with 0-1% financing rates. It's just not as bad as some people feared, but everything still rests on FSD and Optimus to deliver the growth to justify the current valuation. I'm leaving energy out because, same as with cars, margins will compress even further.

Agreed on all counts, I should've been clearer in my initial message.

What I meant is that there is a point at which more data isn't going to make your autonomous driving system better than others. From what I'm seeing Waymo already has enough data to achieve it in a way that won't affect commercial viability for RT. Sure, Tesla's might end up being autonomous everywhere, but as many other posters said before me, RT business is one where the majority of revenue is done in a relatively limited area. You cover the big cities and their outskirts and you're done. You might argue that, beyond having a subscription business (similar to FSD now), it won't be commercially viable to have autonomous vehicles go too far from their base.
AV's remove the driver problem:
- The fleet is fungible. No driver to move home. No person needed to move the AV.
- Fleet size determined by peak demand, lots of spare vehicles available off-peak. It's like rental, not like human-driven taxis.

There's potential costs of moving around empty, which would be higher at peak. But it's just miles and about net movement.
Off-peak, the AV has time to get back from Podunk to Big City, so it might be able to pick up some fares as it wends it way back.

But the big competition for taxis is private vehicles.
Every limitation gives reason for people to have a private vehicle. Every private vehicle is a large loss of custom.
Every trip needs a vehicle. The overall fleet size has to be larger if you're using AV-4s.. Is that going to work out cheaper than having a fleet of AV-5s that can do everything?

Reactions: Mike Ambler