Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Urban Supercharger pricing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just used a 70kW urban supercharger for the first time. The convenience was awesome, but the pricing makes no sense. Current supercharging costs in Canada are $0.44 per minute above 60 kW, and $0.22 per minute at or below 60 kW.

Am I crazy or would it be far more reasonable to change the 60kW threshold to 75kW? As it stands right now, the urban superchargers are effectively twice as expensive when charging a Model 3 LR.

Most of the urban supercharger, at least in GTA is now at 145 kw.

It may seem unreasonable, but at 145 kw, your charge rate is so much better, remember, it is per minute. I remember when I charge my SR 3 LR at Sherway which is at 75KW, it takes about an hour or more to charge from 20% to 85%, now at other locations in GTA, it is about 30 minutes or less, hardly have time to finish my coffee.

Just to clarify, I have zero objections to the time-based pricing!
I object to time-based pricing. It makes no sense. Imagine if you paid for strawberries or milk or gasoline or any other commodity based on how long it took you to acquire it.

Clerk, “That will be $30.00 for strawberries.”

Customer, “But there’s less than 500 grams.”

Clerk, “We charge by how long you have been in the store and we clocked you at over an hour.”

This isn’t a Tesla problem though. It is a result of Canadian regulatory provisions that prohibit the resale of electricity. Similarly, the limited access Canadians have to advanced Tesla features is not a Tesla issue. It is the result of Canadian regulators inhibiting innovation and progress.

I hope that electric car owners will advance these issues in upcoming federal and provincial elections.

It may seem unreasonable, but at 145 kw, your charge rate is so much better, remember, it is per minute. I remember when I charge my SR 3 LR at Sherway which is at 75KW, it takes about an hour or more to charge from 20% to 85%, now at other locations in GTA, it is about 30 minutes or less, hardly have time to finish my coffee.
Urban Superchargers are still limited to 72kw. The normal v2 superchargers top out at 145-150kw.

Reactions: DontBetAgtsEln
Just to clarify, I have zero objections to the time-based pricing! My concern is with the threshold at which the price doubles, relative to the maximum speed of the older 70kW superchargers.

It has nothing to do with "older" or newer Superchargers. A site is either a normal Supercharger and shares ~145kW with two stalls, or it is a Urban Supercharger and each stall gets ~72kw. (Or it is a new V3 Supercharger site and each stall gets 250kW.)

Just used a 70kW urban supercharger for the first time. The convenience was awesome, but the pricing makes no sense. Current supercharging costs in Canada are $0.44 per minute above 60 kW, and $0.22 per minute at or below 60 kW.

Am I crazy or would it be far more reasonable to change the 60kW threshold to 75kW? As it stands right now, the urban superchargers are effectively twice as expensive when charging a Model 3 LR.

Yeah I agree with you - the tier pricing threshold is not in a great place for time-based pricing. I've tracked my cost/kWh for the last few months, and by far the most expensive was using the Urban units.

upload_2019-7-22_12-38-5.png

On the plus side, it's still way cheaper than what I get for my 2014 Leaf! (Nominal pricing of $0.30/min on 47kW max power)... incidentally one of the major reasons I bailed on my Leaf as a commuter, was getting annoying to DCFC every day.

upload_2019-7-22_12-40-23.png

urban supercharger doesn't mean one that is in an urban area. Or one that raps.

It means it's one of the ones that are limited to 72 kw of power like the ones at Sherway, The Eaton Centre and Ottawa Rideau Centre.

You're paying a premium price but the speed is slow so it in effects makes them less economical to use because of the pricing structure.