Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla V10 software update rollout: post here if you are still waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While it is far too soon to judge Smart Summon by the late night videos, what would you think a "Reasonable Person's" initial impressions would be?

Most people have been impressed.

Someone called the police on my car once during smart summon....so not everyone has been impressed. It was a private parking lot at a grocery store...so the police couldn't do anything about it, however I stopped just to keep the peace.

There were plenty of other parking lots out there.

What's amazing to me is how many experts are out there that have never ever used smart summon telling me how it works and doesn't work. You have to be "within range" of your car to connect to it before summoning it. I've been using it for a long long time. People are amazing.

Smart summon is tremendously better than when it was first rolled out. Its amazing how much better it is now.

Its also amazing how much better FSD is since it first rolled out. For goodness sake - even in Version 10 it shows oncoming cars in the lane beside you now.
The cameras now recognize double solid lines vs single solid lines vs dashed lines.

Object recognition now differentiates the difference between an SUV and a Pickup truck on the screen.

Its the small stuff that makes a big difference IMHO.

Last edited:
Smart summon is still just a gimmick. Far faster and easier just to walk to the car. It needs to work without line of sight, not run stop lines, cross solid white line, and stay to the right.

it may be better than before, but it’s not ready for prime time. Maybe in a year or two it may be practical. I really want the car to pick me up unsupervised.

Smart summon is still just a gimmick. Far faster and easier just to walk to the car. It needs to work without line of sight, not run stop lines, cross solid white line, and stay to the right.

it may be better than before, but it’s not ready for prime time. Maybe in a year or two it may be practical. I really want the car to pick me up unsupervised.

Here we go.... Here they come.....

Who said anything about prime time?

Neither FSD/Autopilot/Summon is prime time yet. That's the meaning of "beta". Everything is still beta.

If anyone wants to stay away from "beta"...its easy....don't use it.

While it is far too soon to judge Smart Summon by the late night videos, what would you think a "Reasonable Person's" initial impressions would be?

It probably depends on how you define "reasonable person". But overall, based on some of the comments I've seen, I think the general first impressions will probably be a combination of "There's nobody in the car, that's crazy cool!" and "Oh crap! The car is going the wrong way!"

I tried to warn you guys that this would happen. Smart Summon is not yet true "autonomous driving". Yes, there is nobody in the car but the car is not driving like a person would. Tesla has not programmed parking lot rules and such yet. Hopefully, that will come later. Right now, Smart Summon is more like a pet. When you summon your pet, they simply follow the shortest and safest path to come to you. They might dash across the neighbor's new garden (pissing off the neighbor) or they might dash across the road. But the pet is simply looking to come to you in the most direct path possible without hitting anything. Smart Summon is similar. The car is not yet following all road rules. Like a pet, it is simply looking for the shortest safest path to get to you. So yes, it might cut across empty parking spaces or go down the parking lot the wrong way. There are aspects of parking lot driving that Tesla has not done yet. But I am sure these things will be fixed in future updates.

It probably depends on how you define "reasonable person". But overall, based on some of the comments I've seen, I think the general first impressions will probably be a combination of "There's nobody in the car, that's crazy cool!" and "Oh crap! The car is going the wrong way!"

I tried to warn you guys that this would happen. Smart Summon is not yet true "autonomous driving". Yes, there is nobody in the car but the car is not driving like a person would. Tesla has not programmed parking lot rules and such yet. Hopefully, that will come later. Right now, Smart Summon is more like a pet. When you summon your pet, they simply follow the shortest and safest path to come to you. They might dash across the neighbor's new garden (pissing off the neighbor) or they might dash across the road. But the pet is simply looking to come to you in the most direct path possible without hitting anything. Smart Summon is similar. The car is not yet following road rules. Like a pet, it is simply looking for the shortest safest path to get to you. So yes, it might cut across empty parking spaces or go down the parking lot the wrong way. But I am sure these things will be fixed in future updates.

That's almost true.

The car is following A LOT of rules now in FSD as well as Smart Summon - that weren't previously there.

If you are in an empty parking lot and summon your car from a different parking row...it will follow the lines and come to you around the end of the row ( not crossing any lines ). It wasn't always like that.

Autopilot does follow a LOT of rules now. It will not move to the right lane to pass on the right ( like humans do ). Just like the rules of the road indicate.

Autopilot will move over to the right most lane of a 2 lane highway if it can maintain its set speed over there. In other words it won't stay in the left lane forever. Just like the rules of the road indicate.

These are non-communicated updates that you would have to pay attention to notice that they are there. Unfortunately not all of the improvements are posted by Tesla once they roll out - and they also don't make a big splash because they aren't new toys.

Folks - lets pay attention to the finer details and give Tesla credit for the improvements that are really there behind the scenes.

Reactions: diplomat33
1-Was your car connected to WIFI before you received notification of new software version?

2-Was it plugged in? (Charging)?
My car was parked at home, on wifi, unplugged. No notification. Left to give a friend a ride, and the "You have an update to download" indicator showed up halfway there. Returned home later that night, downloaded and installed over my wireless network connection.

Yes, there is nobody in the car but the car is not driving like a person would.

'Autonomous driving' and 'Autonomous driving that would pass a Turing Test' are different benchmarks.

So yes, it might cut across empty parking spaces or go down the parking lot the wrong way.

Oh, so.. like a lot of actual meatbags direct their conventional vehicles then? Maybe SuperSummon would pass a Turing Test after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.