Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla V9 - please bring back the green free moving traffic lines

Should tesla bring back the green lines for clear traffic?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
Just got my v9 upgrade.

Where's the green lines on the traffic display gone?
Bunch of reasons this is a really backwards step:

I regularly travel on roads that can be queued in either direction, and have a number of alternate routes dependent on traffic conditions. Checking the relative position of the green and red lines would tell me which direction was slow at a glance, now I have to squint at endless shades of gray and some weird bits of pink color (on my beautiful big full color display) and zoom in/out ti work out which side of the road is slow.

Also if the road is blocked/closed, unfortunately we would never get an indicaiton like waze, but at least the green line would disappear to gray (indicating insufficient traffic data) and there would be a clue something was amiss and I would use the excellent Teslawaze to check) .

And now we have little indication if the traffic data display is not updated due to poor mobile reception, v8 and earlier we would get no green lines with no data, no we get no green lines at all. Patchy mobile reception is the norm around here.

We need to be able to glance at the screen and glean the necessary information, not have to stare at it trying to work out the situation whilst on the move..

I guess I'll get used to it, but for me this is one of the most negative steps taken in the UI evolution to date.
Elon/Tesla - please reconsider.

And whilst I am grumbling ...

Going back even further to v7; there used to be an extra view mode where you could reset the view to North orientation with a single press of the icon in the top corner, since v8 it just switches to direction of travel, meaning that if you pinch zoom and end up (almost inevitably) with some rotation also it is a pain to get the map back to proper North orientation.
Maybe it's just my OCD but I hate my map not the right way up. So Tesla, please fix this too.

v9 was a total step back in driver functionality. They rewrote it to look like a modern cell phone, without much apparent forethought for functionality or even safety to be used as a driver user interface. Maybe UI was meant for FSD cars where the car drives itself while the driver squints and pecks at tiny buttons on the screen, or plays Atari video games. Elon was sure FSD was going to be here by now and he fired everyone who told him that can't be done.

Thank you! I am so happy that I am not alone in this. I HATE the green lines missing in traffic mode, it looks HORRIBLE now with random splotches of orange and red, and comprehensively at a glance I cant quickly figure out where they are. My Brain is used to seeing the green. Also I cant tell where their is "no traffic" or "no traffic data" now, since its all blank grey.

Reactions: mrElbe
I understand what they did/why they did it, but I wish there was a way to see 'data' vs 'no data' then I think all would be happy ('er') with the 'no green lines' since the maps would be less cluttered.

Now, the whole monochrome thing is a whole 'nother story/discussion. So much of the new UI seems to 'assume' you have a copilot/navigator that can concentrate on the display (or the car is fully autonomous, lol...).

Reactions: SalisburySam
I miss the green lines.

I could quickly look:

1) and know I actually had traffic data. Now if my route is gray, I have to look somewhere else to see red/orange to know that gray means "no slowdown," not "no data."

2) The green was highly contrasted with the gray background, making it easy to track your green route across the screen until you saw it turning red/orange. Now I have to concentrate to distinguish gray road from gray land etc - much more difficult to track on the move.

It's awful. At least make it user selectable.

Reactions: Barry
I totally disagree. I am red-green colorblind and having the green lines makes the red lines indistinguishable rendering the traffic lines worthless. Please leave it precisely as it is.

The straightforward answer in your case would be to have the option to turn off the green lines, or to be able to select a preferred color palette, rather than limit utility for all users.

There are a number of areas in most computer GUIs that some users with varying forms of color blindness will have issues with,

Tesla could actually offer something really special here in enabling selection of alternate color palettes for the entire UI on both the main screen and the IC. This way a individual's condition could be catered for without compromising the interface for others.

Last edited:
Tesla has become grey obsessed
What next, a completely grey screen?

It’s silly to take away the green for the small number of color blind people
I’ve now stopped using Tesla maps almost completely

It’s a glorified interior light now. And not a very bright one at that

Thank you for your shortsighted vision.

I can agree with you that color is useful but to dismiss colorblind people as an unimportant is really shortsighted.

Reactions: srredbeard