Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a good question. How do we know what disqualifies you for VPP?
For the California VPP, being enrolled in any other demand-reduction or similar incentive program disqualifies you. I don't know of an exhaustive list, but it does include programs like OhmConnect, smart thermostat programs like SmartAC, etc. Note that taking rebates is fine. I think they're just trying to avoid double-paying.

Reactions: hiddensolar
Has anyone confirmed that juice points from Enel disqualifies vpp participation? How do you unenroll from juice points?

Thanks!
Yes, it does disqualify you. I contacted Enel to cancel and cash out my Juice Points last year, but it was not disconnected as a demand response service from my PG&E account. There is some third party involved that manages these demand response connections. If you want more information, I can point you to the specific page on the PG&E web site that indicates whether your account has a demand response program attached.

Yes, it does disqualify you. I contacted Enel to cancel and cash out my Juice Points last year, but it was not disconnected as a demand response service from my PG&E account. There is some third party involved that manages these demand response connections. If you want more information, I can point you to the specific page on the PG&E web site that indicates whether your account has a demand response program attached.
I went ahead and tried to sigh up again. This time I was approved even though I have not cancelled juice points.

I sent another request for Enel to remove its connection to my PG&E account. If it doesn't yield any results in the coming week, I will try the VPP signup again. Last year I tried to join the VPP twice and was blocked.
Looking at my Enel app I think the vpp signup bumped me from the juice points program automatically. Not what I expected but I’m not worried since the payout for juice points is minimal.

Has anyone gotten any VPP event days yet this year?

I signed up for VPP a few months ago and I've been looking forward to some event days to sell some power. I'm on PG&E and today is apparently supposed to be an event day (and apparently we had a few in June as well). I haven't gotten any notifications of these days in my Tesla app...so I'm wondering if there's something I have done wrong or if others are experiencing the same thing.

I signed up for VPP a few months ago and I've been looking forward to some event days to sell some power. I'm on PG&E and today is apparently supposed to be an event day (and apparently we had a few in June as well). I haven't gotten any notifications of these days in my Tesla app...so I'm wondering if there's something I have done wrong or if others are experiencing the same thing.
I haven't seen any Flex Alert notifications that would indicate that a VPP event would likely happen and the CAISO demand forecast curves aren't that high. A VPP event could happen as a test, but I would be surprised if that happen. None happened in 2022 until mid August.

Reactions: BGbreeder
For the California VPP, being enrolled in any other demand-reduction or similar incentive program disqualifies you. I don't know of an exhaustive list, but it does include programs like OhmConnect, smart thermostat programs like SmartAC, etc. Note that taking rebates is fine. I think they're just trying to avoid double-paying.
I was enrolled in SmartAC last year at the same time as I was enrolled in VPP. I had signed up for many years ago and there was a one-time $50-100 payment to install a remote cutoff switch on my AC compressors. First time that I ever noticed that it was was activated was last year during one of the VPP events, I noticed because I could hear the HVAC fan running, but not the compressor. There weren't any recurring payments or any payment related to TOU/demand for this, so I would be surprised if there was any conflict.

I did get a notice this spring from PG&E for a service visit to upgrade the control switch which prompted me to call in and opt-out of the program entirely before that happened. I think I need to double check that nothing was touch.

I'm also enrolled in evPulse which again has some upfront payments, but no payments that are TOU dependent. I signed up for this after the VPP events were over, but I would be surprised if that invalidated participation in the VPP.

OhmConnect on the other hand is a TOU/demand payment program and that would be in double dipping with the VPP.

I'm not sure what you mean by an "event day". There hasn't been an event scheduled of a VPP day in my app, and there is so much excess capacity at the moment, that I think one is unlikely. Check Casio.com for demand and usage;
IMG_1044.jpeg

That's an extra 9 billion watts of available power above the forecast peak demand, with tomorrow in the same ballpark.

Barring a system wide failure, I agree with @Redhill_qik that we aren't likely to see an VPP event called until August/September.

All the best,

BG

I'm not sure what you mean by an "event day". There hasn't been an event scheduled of a VPP day in my app, and there is so much excess capacity at the moment, that I think one is unlikely. Check Casio.com for demand and usage;
View attachment 956374

That's an extra 9 billion watts of available power above the forecast peak demand, with tomorrow in the same ballpark.

Barring a system wide failure, I agree with @Redhill_qik that we aren't likely to see an VPP event called until August/September.

All the best,

BG
Maybe Casio.com is spelled a little different? Casio.com takes me to watches.

Reactions: hiddensolar
No notice and since I'm on self consumption mode, only at 58%. If I'd even gotten just gotten notice 5 hours ago, I could have made sure to be at 100% but instead have been running on self powered mode to eliminate NBCs since I'm about to leave $600 on the table at true-up.

Just got a zero notice alert from my Tesla app, announcing a VPP starting at 20:18 today (actually started before 20:10); CAISO reports over 39GW of demand against 42GW of available power.

Not sure why...
I know WTF just happened?! I was just checking my app and just see that it was in a VPP and had to drop my reserve down to 10% to participate as it hit my normal 80%

I know WTF just happened?! I was just checking my app and just see that it was in a VPP and had to drop my reserve down to 10% to participate as it hit my normal 80%
Moved my reserve to 10% too although it doesn't appear it will matter as the the event says it will end in 15 more minutes so it'll have been about 50 minutes total when it's done.

Still ran around and turned everything off so I can send nearly all of my 13.4KW current discharge to the grid.

Moved my reserve to 10% too although it doesn't appear it will matter as the the event says it will end in 15 more minutes so it'll have been about 50 minutes total when it's done.

Still ran around and turned everything off so I can send nearly all of my 13.4KW current discharge to the grid.
Best guess is that it was a trial run to test system changes from last year. Since the grid doesn't need the extra kW they likely wanted to minimize the amount of participation, so no advanced notice.

Another option is somebody hit the on button by mistake. 😝

• Funny
Reactions: BGbreeder
Total waste. It whomped my last 10% I was saving to cruise through peak period. No notice.

So now I am going to disable VPP. Does anyone know if I will get a notice with it disabled? I know it won't self charge but I found that poorly executed before too because it would often grid charge during peak periods just before and event.