Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger - charging only 1kw after circuit tripped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have used Tesla wall charger for 6 months now without any issue. However, after circuit trapped last week, it is charging only 1 kw which takes forever to charge (24 hours+).

My current settings of charger is the following
  • Tesla Model 3
  • 60 amp circuit
  • Changer is very close to circuit board ( < 1 feet)

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

The breaker the wall connector was on tripped? Thats a bad sign. It's on a 60A breaker and I assume you have a LR M3? The car still shows the current selected at 48A, it just never goes up from 1kW?

You can try rebooting by holding down both buttons on the wheel.

The breaker the wall connector was on tripped? Thats a bad sign. It's on a 60A breaker and I assume you have a LR M3? The car still shows the current selected at 48A, it just never goes up from 1kW?

You can try rebooting by holding down both buttons on the wheel.
The car still shows at 48A but never goes up from 1KW with Wall connector. However, It is charged fine with SuperCharge or any other regular charging station.

Hello,
I have used Tesla wall charger for 6 months now without any issue. However, after circuit trapped last week, it is charging only 1 kw which takes forever to charge (24 hours+).

My current settings of charger is the following
  • Tesla Model 3
  • 60 amp circuit
  • Changer is very close to circuit board ( < 1 feet)

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
I would verify that the circuit is actually providing 48 amp service after the trip. Maybe it’s power supply-related, not car-related. Can you access another HPWC?

Supercharger is irrelevant as it doesn’t use the onboard chargers. If you’ve used any other HPWC or 1772 then the charger works. The issue then is the HPWC at your location.

Assume you’ve turned the breaker off and on again to be sure the circuit is reset. If so, sounds like the electronics in the HPWC are the issue.

Did you purchase the Tesla wall charger, or are you using the cable and adapter that came with the car? If the later, make sure the name Tesla is all green, not red. If red, the adapter has likely come loose. Plug it tightly into the cable.

I would verify that the circuit is actually providing 48 amp service after the trip. Maybe it’s power supply-related, not car-related. Can you access another HPWC?

I found out that the culprit was “Charge Current” setting. However, it read normal (48A) when it is NOT charging but showed 1A while charging. It remembers the Wall Connector caused circuit tripped so that it can protect itself. Anyway, after adjusting setting, it is now back to normal.

It's good that all it was. However, the breaker tripping is absolutely not normal and should never happen in regular service. This should be cause for concern. Breakers in the US tend to be both thermal and magnetic. The magnetic portion responds very quickly to severe overloads, and the thermal responds slow to slight to moderate overloads. As a result of the thermal portion, the breaker will trip earlier than expected if its subjected to a lot of heat for whatever reason. This could be a loose connection at the breaker, a surrounding breaker thats also loaded, considerably undersized wire for the load, or very high ambient temperatures. But your car shouldn't draw more than around 48A from the '60A' rated circuit, so the conductors shouldn't get past warm to the touch and it should hold this power no problem indefinitely.

I'd be a bit concerned as to what caused the previous breaker trip. It's not like when you plug too much stuff into a single circuit and the breaker trips. This is intended to be a dedicated circuit for this specific purpose and it should easily tolerate full speed charging unless there is a significant issue. A standard 60A breaker does not trip at 61A, it may take 80-100A for several minutes to trip, or a very significant fault in the 200-500A range to trip quickly. So either something somehow is drawing far too much power, the breaker is weak, or its getting hot for some reason. Either way its an issue.