Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall charger v. Plain old NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my research and talk with Tesla folks and Electricians, 14-50 is more than ample for 75D. 100D is where you'll see the best bang for that Wall Charger, besides the look. I'm in the same boat, leaning towards 14-50, largely due to cost honestly. Wiring was quoted extra $100-$125 + $500 for the charger, so makes a difference of ~ $600 for me. What did you decide @Antfugue ?

I'm still waiting for my referral to take delivery (we all know how long that takes!) In the meantime I've netted out the responses here that for my (takes breath) 6 gauge wire/40 amp breaker/S75 with 48 amp charger/85 mile round trip commute/can charge overnight/don't want to burn down the house/no one sees the inside of my garage situation It does not matter what I do.

So I guess I'll sell it to someone with a cool garage.

FWIW, My car is limited to 40amps. I had the electrician just add a 14-50 receptacle to the Tesla Wall charger and I plug that into the NEMA14-50 socket. Yes I was lazy and didn't want to use the mobile charger and I didn't want to hardwire due to might want to move.
Yes its redundant. :)

• Informative
Reactions: FlyinLow
Would you please stop answering every question with “dual chargers”? This is no longer 2013 or 2014. Dual chargers haven’t been a thing since the Model S facelift, and were never available on the X. It just will confuse recent and prospective owners. Chargers are either 48A or 72A single chargers.

Thank you. It confused 'me' for sure.

In Georgia I was able to get a $250 rebate on the 14-50 installation.

Any idea why the new gen 2 mobile charger has no reset button? No manual to explain this and no service person can answer it. No updated manual for this charger.
Not sure where to find trouble shooter info that includes this change in design in case there are issues. It had a red ring once ( grounding issue?) that resolved when I with trepidation removed and reinserted to wall socket.