Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector - opinions on which mounting option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone with a Tesla wall connector have any opinions on which mounting option bracket they use.

Officially, there is a top entry bracket which is much deeper than the low profile rear or bottom entry o_O

The deeper top entry bracket appears to allow for more cable to be coiled around - especially useful I would expect with the 7m long option, or is it? The deeper bracket also appears to support rear entry too, so would appear to be an option that I am interested in.

How does the low profile option cope with a 7m cable, or how are people stowing the cable by other means? I had not appreciated how substantial the cabling is on this unit, thinking it would be more flexible like the supplied type 2. I realise there are third party options for cable tidy, but not sure what the point is when the supplied options seem to cover the same scenario.

My installer did a bottom power in install and did not use the extra mounting bracket. I have the 7m cable and find three long loops works fine (it can take extra loops if you wanted to run the cable tighter but I prefer to not fight with the cable). One tip I read somewhere is to wrap the cable counter-clockwise, which makes it easier I find to harness the plug into the receptacle on the TWC.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Does anyone with a Tesla wall connector have any opinions on which mounting option bracket they use.

Officially, there is a top entry bracket which is much deeper than the low profile rear or bottom entry o_O

The deeper top entry bracket appears to allow for more cable to be coiled around - especially useful I would expect with the 7m long option, or is it? The deeper bracket also appears to support rear entry too, so would appear to be an option that I am interested in.

How does the low profile option cope with a 7m cable, or how are people stowing the cable by other means? I had not appreciated how substantial the cabling is on this unit, thinking it would be more flexible like the supplied type 2. I realise there are third party options for cable tidy, but not sure what the point is when the supplied options seem to cover the same scenario.

I've got a 7m unit and I'm using the rear entry option. Not sure about low profile or anything - I'm just using the brackets it came with. Only thing to note is that to avoid stressing the cable I wrap it very loosely - easy because it's so high off the ground - and only ever go over the top twice before hooking in on the right-side's holster.

Two shots attached. First shows how the electrician left it - plenty of room as you can see to tightly wind the cable if you really want to. I don't, I think it's too hard to make look nice and probably damages the cable. Second is the charger in use with a good side profile so you can see how the cable hangs.

WallChargerMkI.jpg

WallChargerMkII.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
7m and bottom entry for me too. It's OK and as above I only loop it over twice. However because of the thickness and weight of the cable 7m is a lot and it's a bit unwieldy. On my use so far I'd have preferred the shorter cable but I went longer to enable me to use a different parking spot. When I get round to it at home I'll probably go shorter.

IMO the wall connector handles the longer cord just fine and the only reason to add the increased depth and projection of the top mount bracket is solely for the wiring access. If you can have the wiring enter the connector from the rear or bottom then there is no need for the top mount bracket and the 7m cord will store just fine without it. I’ve attached photos of my connector and I agree with LukeT the shorter cable would have been easier to work with but I like the flexibility of being able to reach the driveway or other car stalls should the need arise.

Attachments

• B5238E87-3133-45CD-A103-1D39726A0EA1.jpeg
    B5238E87-3133-45CD-A103-1D39726A0EA1.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 51
  • E019F801-420D-4F3D-9B01-C0BF83143BB5.jpeg
    E019F801-420D-4F3D-9B01-C0BF83143BB5.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 49
Did a dry fit today - no leccy. Ergonomically, it seems to work fine with low profile although probably a few twists need working out of the cable. Used the anti-clockwise trick which works well, but maybe one less loop. Glad that when the inevitable event of plug falling out of socket, it shouldn't hit the ground.

I think we will stick with the low profile. Will see how things go when we start using it and might end up making a 'old petrol pump style' overhead gantry if the slack cannot be contained within the loop - 7m looks like it might be a couple of meters longer than ideal.

Its certainly no UMC - a completely different beast.

upload_2019-12-23_14-1-53.png

Reactions: destructure00