Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector - VIN security for NACS adoptees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is this accomplished?
Couple of things you may know or not:
  • Is your WC on a WiFi?
    • If it isn’t, you will need to get it on WiFi, even using your phone
  • You car should be connected when you access the WC’s access point through your phone internet browser.
    • You need to reboot the WC in order to have access to its browser portal for an hour.
    • Once in, it is really simple as it registers all Tesla VINs which have connected to it.
  • I put a label on mine so that the other Tesla owners in my garage can’t use it.
Best luck. Oh and Tesla support is terrific to help you out.

Upvote 0
Couple of things you may know or not:
  • Is your WC on a WiFi?
    • If it isn’t, you will need to get it on WiFi, even using your phone
  • You car should be connected when you access the WC’s access point through your phone internet browser.
    • You need to reboot the WC in order to have access to its browser portal for an hour.
    • Once in, it is really simple as it registers all Tesla VINs which have connected to it.
  • I put a label on mine so that the other Tesla owners in my garage can’t use it.
Best luck. Oh and Tesla support is terrific to help you out.
I hope you still have your setup pamphlet, because it has the QR code to get you to that browser page on your WC. I leave mine in the car glovebox to make sure I never lose it. If not, Tesla support (phone) has a specific group to help you with WC’s. Good luck.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
My wall connecter is vin locked. It uses NACS only so even if someone were to put a J1772 adaptor on it I believe it would still be locked out.

Mine is set to authorized VINs too. But charging a car with J1772 inlet was not the question I was asking.

I suppose I hinted at it in the post title - for cars from non-Tesla manufacturers who are switching to NACS, I hope they support the same authorized-VINs-only security that can be done with Tesla vehicles. Has anyone heard anything regarding this?

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Upvote 0
Haven't heard anything, but I would expect that such cars are going to continue using J1772 signaling, and only change the physical socket from J1772 to NACS, so the car-to-WC communication will still be J1772, which does not have any way to communicate the VIN.

The open question is whether non-Tesla NACS cars will be able to use older, non-CSS Tesla Superchargers (none of the announcements about NACS adoption have addressed this, as far as I know). IF those cars will be able to use those older superchargers, it's because Tesla is licensing the OEMs to use Tesla's communication protocols. In that case, the AC charging may also use Tesla comms, not just J1772, in which case VIN-locking a WC should still work.

Upvote 0