Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall connector with 14-50 NEMA plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And where are you going to get 277 volts? That is an odd number.
Yeah, that is an odd number. But you could see that on your power feed into your home.
Power companies will have to turn up the voltage to push enough power to cover the power loss that is created by wire length. So if you're closer to that transformer, you could possibly get 277v and if you're at the end you could be getting 220. I've seen 218v in some homes that are farther out in rural area's.

I feel obligated to mention that converting a 14-50 outlet to a hard-wired wall connector install is a very simple task, and is in keeping with the wall connector's install instructions, unlike adding a 14-50 pigtail.

Note: I don't especially think that the 14-50 pigtail is inherently bad or unsafe, but it's nearly as easy to do it "right".
I followed the Instructable below when I installed my HWPC NEMA 14-50 pigtail a few years back. Works well.

Yeah, that is an odd number. But you could see that on your power feed into your home.
Power companies will have to turn up the voltage to push enough power to cover the power loss that is created by wire length. So if you're closer to that transformer, you could possibly get 277v and if you're at the end you could be getting 220. I've seen 218v in some homes that are farther out in rural area's.
Actually, that is a voltage available in certain three phase installations. It's sometimes used in street and parking lot lighting, which is why Tesla added support in the Wall connector for Model S and X at one point. I wasn't sure they had retained that support in Model 3 and Y.

Reactions: android04 and Vines
Actually, that is a voltage available in certain three phase installations. It's sometimes used in street and parking lot lighting, which is why Tesla added support in the Wall connector for Model S and X at one point. I wasn't sure they had retained that support in Model 3 and Y.
Yes, its available in 3 phase, but 99 % of homes dont have 3 phases available to them. Which was what I thought we were discussing with Wall connectors.
In an Industrial setting yes. 80% of my work is with 3 phase 480v and I've been doing this for 28 years. This Solar and battery charging is new so I'm learning as much as I can. We're working on installing a Tesla Solar/battery farm and EV charging station at my work, so I'm asking all the stupid question on this.

Last edited:
And where are you going to get 277 volts? That is an odd number.

From a building with 480 volts, 3 phase power. One phase to neutral results in 277 volts, to which a Gen 2 Wall Connector can be hooked up. Most people aren't going to have this available to them, and it's unlikely that you're ever going to come across it in the wild, but it's a thing that exists. There are a few threads where business owners hooked up destination charging to 277 volts, and I've seen at least one 277-volt entry on PlugShare, although I don't remember where they are. Gen 3 Wall Connector does not support 277 volts.

Weird, I show them as sold out and I have an Invoice for one thats been paid for.

Did you try the product above?

Did you try the product above?
This is the one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220720-173124_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220720-173124_Chrome.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 109