Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range battery LFP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious why the internal memos are saying not to 100% daily charge
Has anyone actually seen these "internal memos"? Genuine question, I haven't been following this closely, but this sounds like a steaming pile of internet rumor garbage if I'm honest.

Frankly, I find the entire premise of Tesla sending sales and service centers an "internal memo" detailing the charging recommendations for an as-yet unreleased car to be just this side of laughable. This is not a company that has given any outward indication of having their ish together at that level, basically ever.

Curious why the internal memos are saying not to 100% daily charge
We will see when the cars get delivered. Tesla employees are often clueless and could be misinterpreting something or the person that asked their Tesla store is misinterpreting something. It’s all a game of telephone since I don’t think anyone had posted a photo of the actual memo.

Before the new Model 3 LR was released people were saying their Tesla advisors claimed they would be LFP and all the Tesla bloggers and YouTubers ran with that. It was not true.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight and vickh
RWD Ys are on the Inventory page and at the dealers. Can't someone check? I test drove a RWD Y at Fremont on Monday but it didn't have a line for High Voltage on the Additional Vehicle Information page.

I'd like to do a FSC transfer but I want an LFP battery pack.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
just took a highway road trip after a while with my 180 miles-rated '19 SR 3. I'm having second thoughts about the SR RWD Y. Unless the LFP makes up for the lower range by speed of charging and rating vs real-world miles.

just took a highway road trip after a while with my 180 miles-rated '19 SR 3. I'm having second thoughts about the SR RWD Y. Unless the LFP makes up for the lower range by speed of charging and rating vs real-world miles.
The original SR 3 was 220 miles (software limited) if I remember correctly. The SR+ was 240 then 250. The original SR Y was based on the SR+ 3. The new SR Y would likely be based on the current SR 3 which uses LFP. There was never a 180 miles rated on release to my recollection.

RWD Ys are on the Inventory page and at the dealers. Can't someone check? I test drove a RWD Y at Fremont on Monday but it didn't have a line for High Voltage on the Additional Vehicle Information page.

I'd like to do a FSC transfer but I want an LFP battery pack.
You don’t have to look at additional vehicle info, you just look at the charging screen and see if it has marks for daily charging vs trips. If it has those and recommends 80% for daily charging it isn’t LFP.

The original SR 3 was 220 miles (software limited) if I remember correctly. The SR+ was 240 then 250. The original SR Y was based on the SR+ 3. The new SR Y would likely be based on the current SR 3 which uses LFP. There was never a 180 miles rated on release to my recollection.

You don’t have to look at additional vehicle info, you just look at the charging screen and see if it has marks for daily charging vs trips. If it has those and recommends 80% for daily charging it isn’t LFP.

I have the original SR 3, which was 220 miles (software limited). It's now showing 180 max. I wonder if SR Y will have that problem too, with the additional 40 miles or will LFP/better battery chemistry help with range/charging.

Last edited:
Could someone please create a sticky on the front page with different battery ranges and types for the MY? And also for M3 in the respective section. We can't keep track of which battery is in which vehicle esp when the battery type varies between different manufacturing sites.

I have the original SR 3, which was 220 miles (software limited). It's now showing 180 max. I wonder if SR Y will have that problem too, with the additional 40 miles or will LFP/better battery chemistry help with range/charging.
That “180” number is just a matter of the battery management system and how it calculates potential range. I wouldn’t say your car is rated at 180 miles right now. There is a very thorough thread in the M3 forum that talks about how to calibrate the BMS and “regain” more range. You should be in the 10-15% degradation range, not the almost 20 you are experiencing.

Regarding LFP vs NCA degradation, there are many other threads and articles on that on here and elsewhere on the internet so no need to get into it. All rechargeable batteries have degradation over time and recharge cycles. And all batteries are subject to how you recharge them and how the BMS is able to calculate that based on usage and charging. If your battery only operates in a small range (60-80%, always plugged in as Tesla suggests) it will be more likely to be off until it has multiple times to take readings at different SoC.

• Informative
Reactions: DanDi58 and vickh
No, no, and no.

Fremont and Austin made MY LR and P are all Panasonic 2170 NCA cells

Austin made standard AWD (now discontinued) had Tesla 4680 NMC cells and structural battery pack.

Shanghai and Berlin made MY LR and P use LG Chem 2170 NMC cells.

Fremont and Shanghai made MY RWD use CATL prismatic LFP cells.

There are no LFP cylindrical cells (18650/2170/4680) in any Tesla.

There are no LFP Long Range or Performance models because LFP does not have enough energy density or discharge rate to support long range or high performance.
Thank you. I wish I understood why Tesla can't just let owner know what they are buying/have. So I assume I have Panasonic 2170 NCA cells, which is fine.

Reps don’t always know everything. Could be taking SR M3 info and applying to SR MY. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Hasn't anyone test driven one recently?
I test drove a Model Y RWD a few days ago. The Additional Vehicle info did not say High Voltage battery type: Lithium Iron Phosphate. Also, the charging screen recommended charging to 80%.. BUT I asked the manager and the three reps there and they all said it was LFP. And that was a software glitch. Not sure I believe them!

I test drove a Model Y RWD a few days ago. The Additional Vehicle info did not say High Voltage battery type: Lithium Iron Phosphate. Also, the charging screen recommended charging to 80%.. BUT I asked the manager and the three reps there and they all said it was LFP. And that was a software glitch. Not sure I believe them!

same here in AZ.

Also my '19 SR says not to charge to 100% either, and it's safe since it's top software locked. It is a software issue.