Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range battery LFP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, visiting from the S and 3 forums. Wanted to ask if the standard range MY comes with a LFP battery rated for 279 miles and if the MYLR has the standard battery rated for 330 miles? I believe that's how the current M3 RWD and M3 AWD are set up? Or is the battery in the standard range MY a regular nmc battery?

IIRC, The SR AWD Model Y sold in the US has 4680 cells, and these are not LFP. Max recommended daily charge level is 90%. The SR RWD Model Y sold in Canada has LFP cells from CATL, with max recommended daily charge level of 100%.

GSP

Reactions: HitchHiker71
4680 cells are newer than the 2170 cells, correct? 2170 cells are in the LR MY, are the 4680 cells better than the 2170 cells or are they basically the same?

Also, is Tesla putting HW4 on all ordered MY's now or is it a crapshoot?

Bought my son a 2023 Model 3 with LFP batteries. He can charge to 100% ALL THE TIME, which actually gives him more range than my MYP.
My 2170 cells can't do that thereby limiting my effective range.

So what it the advantage of the 4680 cells other than saving money for Tesla?

I was hoping that the 4680 cells would allow faster charging and slightly improved range from less resistive loss inside the battery.
Apparently this is not the case quite yet. If I get a model Y LR in the next month or two, I will not opt for 4680 cells if that option is open )-:

The LFP allows for 100% charging increasing your effective range.
Yes/No - when at home, I never have a need for more range. When on a road trip, I charge to 100% the night before and seldom charge to 100% at SCs because it takes too long. Without LFP, one can charge to 100%. If you are saying the LFP batteries have no capacity degradation over time, that is another story - I suspect they still have a capacity loss with time, but I don't know this for sure.

My son has an LFP Model 3. They encourage charging to 100% whenever supposedly giving him with 272 effective range.
He has experienced a 45-mile degradation in six months and now charges full to 227.

My MYP charged at 90% limits me to 257 miles compared to the advertised 303 after one year with 45 miles degradation.

My son has an LFP Model 3. They encourage charging to 100% whenever supposedly giving him with 272 effective range.
He has experienced a 45-mile degradation in six months and now charges full to 227.

My MYP charged at 90% limits me to 257 miles compared to the advertised 303 after one year with 45 miles degradation.

So he has a 17% degradation? If you read the official Tesla literature, it says to charge to 100% at least once a week for LFP and that is to keep the battery calibration up to date. If you look at degradation curves on LFP, they don't really like state of charge of more than 70% on the battery. Which means, you don't really have to charge to 100% every time if the SoC is always high.

45 mile degradation is pretty high though. I have 25 miles of degradation on my M3P after 4 years.

The base Model Y is called the MY AWD. It has 4680 batteries that are basically the same chemistry as the 2170's, just a different size (46 and 80 are the dimensions). It has the same features as the MY LR which has the 2170 batteries. It's a big less expensive mainly due to shorter range. You can compare the detailed features on the web site.

Branden Flasch has owned a 4680 MY for a while now and has a whole series of videos on it. Here is a very interesting one on the charging curve (note that he calls it standard range but the official name is MY AWD) -

Just a note on degradation - you can't judge degradation simply based on what you car shows as range miles when you charge to 100%. That's simply a function of the BMS. There are ways to accurately determine degradation using third-party apps hooked into the car's data port. You can also estimate going through a battery health check process that will recalibrate the BMS. But to say, 'I had 300 miles of range at 100%, now I only have 275, so that's x% degradation, isn't really correct.

The base Model Y is called the MY AWD. It has 4680 batteries that are basically the same chemistry as the 2170's, just a different size (46 and 80 are the dimensions). It has the same features as the MY LR which has the 2170 batteries. It's a big less expensive mainly due to shorter range. You can compare the detailed features on the web site.

Branden Flasch has owned a 4680 MY for a while now and has a whole series of videos on it. Here is a very interesting one on the charging curve (note that he calls it standard range but the official name is MY AWD) -

Just a note on degradation - you can't judge degradation simply based on what you car shows as range miles when you charge to 100%. That's simply a function of the BMS. There are ways to accurately determine degradation using third-party apps hooked into the car's data port. You can also estimate going through a battery health check process that will recalibrate the BMS. But to say, 'I had 300 miles of range at 100%, now I only have 275, so that's x% degradation, isn't really correct.
And it doesn't really make a difference, because, by warranty, TSLA won't replace the battery unless it drops 30% anytime before the eight years.

Are the ONLY LFP Model Ys the Non-Long Range AWD, so Model Y AWD, as opposed to the Model Y Long Range AWD?
What about the Model Y Standard Range RWD? Any of those LFP?

What is the EPA range on the LFP Model Ys? I am seeing 244 on the Standard Range and 291/303/315 on the Performance and 326/330 on the Long Range. Unfortunately they removed the 4680 TMY on their website so I am looking at Used or New Inventory units. Not seeing anything about "charge this car to 100%" on any of the units