Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla website indicates 22" wheels impact range by ~12%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was looking at new Performance X's on the Tesla website today and noticed it shows the X is rated for 341 miles with the 20" wheels and 300 miles for the 22". So the larger wheels result in a 12% reduction in range as per Tesla. This is the first time I have ever noticed this information displayed.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
The OEM 22" Pirelli Scorpion tires are a big culprit to the range impact. I recently just swapped them out and put on Michelin Pilot 4S and have noticed an improvement. It's not quite as good as 20" OEM wheels but definitely better.

Wh/Mile really ranges on how each person drives and if there's uphills/downhills but I've definitely hit some lower wh/mile numbers that I never seen with the 22" Pirelli's.

The OEM 22" Pirelli Scorpion tires are a big culprit to the range impact. I recently just swapped them out and put on Michelin Pilot 4S and have noticed an improvement. It's not quite as good as 20" OEM wheels but definitely better.

Wh/Mile really ranges on how each person drives and if there's uphills/downhills but I've definitely hit some lower wh/mile numbers that I never seen with the 22" Pirelli's.
How do the Michelin’s perform?

The PS4S use a dual compound with a stiffer rubber on the sidewall and softer compound on the tread, that's probably where the benefits are coming from that you see. It's a technology they brought over from their motorcycle tires, except they use hard on the outside and soft on the inside, where motorcycle tires are soft on the outside and hard in the middle.

I'm sure some brands are more efficient than others, but at the end of the day bigger wheels will always be less efficient than smaller ones due to the laws of physics. Rolling resistance is a cruel mistress.

When these Pirelli Scorpions are worn, I'm throwing the 20s back on. The 22s look great but the efficiency hit is too much in the real world (especially on a 90D like mine). With it being winter here (in the southern US no less), I'm getting 450-500 wh/mi at the start of each day's first drive out of the garage. I know some of that power goes to heat the battery, but the 22s sure aren't helping things. Never mind the rougher ride, the increased risk of bending/cracking the wheels, higher tire costs, etc.

Glad that Tesla is properly calling out the range difference of the 22s vs 20s on their website. I can totally see the 12% (or more) range hit.