Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla: What to Expect in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following Tesla, there are always surprises. You never know when Elon Musk is going to launch a car into space or tweet about drilling tunnels, selling flamethrowers, or building a 50s style diner with food delivery on rollerskates.

A few things that we should expect in 2018:

Ramping Model 3 production to 5,000 per week

Standard range Model 3 deliveries

Dual motor Model 3

Announcing locations and perhaps even breaking ground on one or two new Gigafactory locations

Coast to coast autonomous drive

Solar roof tile deliveries

Megacharger location deployments

Sneak peaks of the Roadster 2020 and Semi as they start road testing

New Tesla mobile app with several new features

By July 2018, Tesla will be the first automaker to cross the 200,000 U.S. vehicle delivery mark. This starts the countdown to phase out the U.S. federal incentive for Tesla’s vehicles.

A few things we might see:

A reveal event for Model Y

More info about Tesla Pickup Truck (what is the game-changing feature?)

Performance version of Model 3

Model S and X interior redesign to bring it up to snuff with the Model 3 minimalism

Model S and X moving to the 2170 cell. This is certainly possible, but given the desire to ramp Model 3 as fast as possible, it may be a good idea to keep S & X on the unconstrained 18650 for another year.

120kWh Model S / X: if these vehicles move to the 2170, a range upgrade would be a nice add-on.

Improved voice commands that reduce the need to use the touchscreen for many settings

TeslaTunes streaming music service

Tesla Network ridesharing service

Surprises that we could never predict

What surprises do you expect from Tesla in 2018?

TMC Member Patrick0101 is a solar and electric vehicle advocate who blogs at Cars With Cords

Last edited by a moderator:
From my other post...

My predictions.
  • S/X nose cone to be the same as 3
  • New S/X and interior like Volvo.
  • 150kWh battery for S and X.
  • Model Y revealed.
  • Model Shuttle revealed, a small driverless bus.
  • Tesla to acquire other companies.
  • Tesla to research fusion energy.
  • Tesla to become like GE or Bosch researching and building other tech.
  • Tesla to make cordless power tools as they have the batteries.

I think Tesla will have a lot of issues if they don't redesign the interior of the Model S... as a P90DL owner, I'm absolutely happy with the car, but then when I get into someone's car that costs 1/2 to 1/4 as much that has multiposition heated and massaging seats that fit you like a glove I do get a bit bummed out. Yes, I want the seat to form around me, to cradle and cuddle me, to massage me, to blow warm or cool air on me, oh yeah.

I'd also like to see more features on the steering wheel controls...

I'd also love to see the information screen have more condensed information so that it doesn't have as many 'layers'.... things like cabin temperature, seat heating, sunroof, doors, windows could all be on the bottom.... when selecting things a general area is better than a little checkbox.

Most of all, I'd like the car to be able to stop me from hitting a parking block, a curb, a pole, a wall, a car behind me or in front of me, etc... the sensors are there, so make it impossible to hit something! Same goes for auto braking and avoiding rear-end collisions... I really thought this was going to be a part of the car, even with autopilot off.

Would love to see a front camera when parking too - or even an overhead view like on the Bolt - that's so nice. And why not have a built-in DVR option where video is stored and transmitted via 4G if you really want to pull up video - like a Nest Cam with DVR (I currently have a Nest cam plugged into the USB port, with an old Galaxy phone acting as a hotspot, uploading video to my Nest account via 4GLTE at lower resolutions 24/7... so far, no data issues, knock on wood!) - if we had this we'd always know if/when/who broke in, dented the car, opened their car door on us, etc. and I get a remote alert on my phone.

Sensors in seats should turn off vents for seats that are not being occupied.

Walking up - if the windshield is not sensing rain - I'd like an option to open the sunroof and all windows.... walking away, I'd like the option for everything to close automatically.

Some "EQ" presets... for a $2500 audio upgrade, I can't believe we can't go through presets.

Oh, and PLEASE make the front windshield something like the Model X where I can see up - I love that there's a huge piece of glass on the S, but as a driver I'm still looking at a giant beam blocking my view... would love to have that pushed back just a bit for a more panoramic view for the driver. I wouldn't get the sunroof ever again, just want a clear unobstructed view.

Would like side badges for the model number, I'm always checking out other Teslas!

Would love to see the T in front, back, and on the sides light up at night with an RGB led that you could set the color on... or have it color wash and slowly fade... I can only imagine the Easter Egg tricks possible with this that could sell more cars. I think Easter Eggs alone were a major deciding factor for me.

Update things with the User Interface more often... throw a bone every 30 days, do something cool and find and different and always keep refining.

I'd pay for different 'theme' and 'noise' packages... would love to switch things up every month or two... the goal is to make it feel like I just changed cars every once in a while.

Storage, lighting, of course need upgrades and improvements. Would love to see passenger and rear 'work surfaces', but they'd have to collapse in a collision. As a gimmick put some more external LEDs on the vehicle so you can light up an area if you want... after all, our new streetlights here in Phoenix only use 3 COB diodes, and they're so bright, with an amazing warmness to them.

PS: the trunk storage compartment fits two Segways perfectly ... they nest together, I highly recommend you spend the $500/ea and grab two of them... so much fun to zoom around when you're charging! And the cable storage area to the left fits a Mavic Pro or SJI Spark drone perfectly too... the perfect nerd combination...

Hi everybody,

Well the most easy change and that's for me an interesting change that I think Tesla can make easily is the fact that my car (a two years old model S) is able to read the panels located on the highways, but when I set 130 Kmh (the maximum speed allowed in France), it's just because I want to drive fastly. And when my car read 90 Km on a new panel, this is indicated to me on the front board, but my car still go on at the speed of 130 Kmh, which is then forbidden! I wish a great modification, making my car able to change the speeds according to the panels, even when the new panel is legally faster again.

Have all a nice Tesla year.

What I would like to see on the existing teslas:
1. An auto drive capability that works at 100% or close to it. I have had 2 potential crashes with the car and actually hit a pylon with the mirror on the right side of the car. If there are hardware upgrades to make this happen, I would like to see these enhancements offered on every Tesla that has the auto drive (preferably at no cost). Watch out for cars merging from behind and on the right as it does not seem to me the auto drive even senses them.
2. The radio interface is something from the 1960s and needs to be upgraded to a modern easy to use capability.
3. Upgrades for the interior to be in a class with Mercedes, BMW and Lexus.

Reactions: Beta V
From my other post...

My predictions.
  • S/X nose cone to be the same as 3
  • New S/X and interior like Volvo.
  • 150kWh battery for S and X.
  • Model Y revealed.
  • Model Shuttle revealed, a small driverless bus.
  • Tesla to acquire other companies.
  • Tesla to research fusion energy.
  • Tesla to become like GE or Bosch researching and building other tech.
  • Tesla to make cordless power tools as they have the batteries.
Fusion? I'd go for a Peabody and Sherman way back machine over fusion if we get to go for stretch requests.

• Funny
Reactions: Patrick0101
The S/X refresh with Model 3 minimalism, 2170 cells, greater range and upgraded Supercharging... these upgrades would be relatively minor compared to the Model 3 ramp.

Tesla has a massive market for the bigger vehicles, and they provide great margins.

Re: the Supercharging - there's been a massive effort to build out the Superchargers... Tesla never does anything without some embedded 'Easter egg'. In the Superchargers, it might be expanded charging capacity, waiting to be turned on for upgrades in the new battery packs... including, of course, Model 3

It's time.

Following Tesla, there are always surprises. You never know when Elon Musk is going to launch a car into space or tweet about drilling tunnels, selling flamethrowers, or building a 50s style diner with food delivery on rollerskates. A few things that we should expect in 2018: Ramping Model 3 production to 5,000 per week...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/01/12/tesla-what-to-expect-in-2018/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

At the end, it asks the question of what surprises I expect. Here it is:

Based on historical performance, I'll be surprised if Tesla delivers on more than 1/3 of the things they say we "should" expect.

Tesla has so much capability to deliver with their
I think Tesla will have a lot of issues if they don't redesign the interior of the Model S...

You say this but 90% of the stuff suggested is software. I agree with you though; Tesla has a real chance to set themselves apart here, but it does not seem that they put much as much effort into their UI as the rest of the car. It appears they have a small team that are able to selectively focus and improve any aspect of it amazingly well, but it has to be the thing that is holding focus at the moment. Maybe more will come with the nav refresh than just smoother maps...?

While I can turn on the A/C or heat remotely with my 2017 Model S, it would be nice to be able to turn on the seat heater and steering wheel heater remotely as well.

If I can't do it remotely, it would be nice if there were two lines across the bottom of the screen with one line where you could program your "Favorites" and I could add the steering wheel heater there. We have plenty of screen, how could it hurt? When I get in on those cold days, turning on my steering wheel heater is a first order of business, but I have to go through a couple of screens to get to that setting.

I know I can customize the climate, but most cars direct the hot air flow at your feat on the "Auto" setting and allow the warm air to drift upwards. My 2017 Model S directs part of the hot air out of the top vents? Who came up with that idea?

I’m looking forward for the coast to coast self driving demo. If all goes to plan we are not that far away from actually having FSD. By like 2020 latest? So what maybe 2 years. Time flies. Hopefully sooner. But who knows.

And I’m excited to hear about the Tesla Network. My gut feeling is that it will start off like any other rideshare service. So Tesla owners essentially could become “Lyft/Uber Drivers” but on this Tesla Network that exclusives only has...Tesla Cars. So no autonomous yet. I would use this over Lyft and Uber almost the second it becomes available. Who doesn’t want to ride in a Tesla? Should be pretty cool.

After things roll out, eventually it will be fully autonomous. But I think starting out, it makes sense to get it going ASAP and it will start off with Drivers actually driving the cars. Not sure how that would work as not many own Tesla cars but it’s an idea.

I think Tesla...

I love this kind of post because it shows lots of thought and originality and usefulness in case folks in Palo Alto are reading. That said, I do have some comments...

I agree that, when I get an S loaner, the interior feels a little 70's compared to my X. Could use some updating.

I, too, would like to see more items on each screen, organized in a sensible manner, but fewer overall screens. Some things take too much hunting around multiple screens. It's like unnecessarily triple spacing. Yet, larger buttons perhaps to make it easier to select them while driving. And more common features permanently along the bottom.

But you have to be careful with sensors that cannot be overridden that "stop me from hitting a parking block, a curb, a pole, a wall, a car behind me or in front of me, etc..." Because if your car is dirty or covered in ice, the sensors sometimes think you are already up against something. I have had the car insist that I am just about to hit something because there was ice on the bumper. These things must work in all conditions, not just ideal conditions.

I would also be careful about turning off seat heat because there is no one in them. I like to turn on the seat heat for all of the seats as part of preheating the car before leaving the supercharger. I believe that they retain and then emit some of that heat for miles down the road after I've unplugged and turned them off.

And you can't have windows closing automatically. There are too many kids suffocated or losing fingers that way in other cars.

Lit emblems in the front and back would be great.

Good list, BenBethel.