Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Will Add Update to Allow Glove Compartment Release for Model 3 After an Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to roll out a software update to automatically open the Model 3 glove compartment following an accident. The change comes following safety concerns pointed out by an owner involved in a serious wreck.

[Update:This story has been updated to note the glove compartment will open automatically rather than manually.]

The Model 3 owner posted their story and photos of the wreckage on Reddit this week:

“I read that Tesla’s are one of the safest cars on the road today. They are right! The car is totaled but I am fine, my right ankle is swollen from hitting the gas pedal but I can still walk fine. Had this been a regular ICE vehicle I would be dead or in a lot worse condition. Everyone from the paramedics to the tow truck driver said that people don’t usually walk away from this. I already put in another model 3 reservation.

My only complaint about this car is that during the crash my passenger’s arm hit the screen and shattered it which prevented me from opening the glove box w/ title and insurance. Needs a manual option. Also my passenger got a pretty big cut on her arm. Maybe add a screen airbag. All in all it is a phenomenal car and I owe my life to Tesla.”

Musk responded to tweet about the accident on Twitter.

It’s great to see Tesla and Musk so quickly address safety concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple computer programming.

if (crash sensors == TRUE)
and if (12V supply == TRUE)
then apply_voltage(glovebox_latch)

I think the "manually" note in the OP's post is incorrect. Reading the referenced article, the firmware will automatically pop the glovebox open.

edit: Sorry... slow typer...
Turns out its not that simple either.

Elon said they'd update the firmware so that the car would open the open the glovebox in the event of an accident, after the vehicle came to a complete stop.

• Funny
Reactions: arnis and EinSV
Reference for this?
There are various discussions on this forum stating that both front and rear outside door handles do nothing except flip the switch to electrically open the doors. If power is off, you cannot open the front nor rear doors.

Tesla's first responder guide describes as much on page 25-27. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2017_Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

Here's another discussion: NO mechanical handle for rear doors. Seriously?

Last edited:
Thanks, very interesting. I wonder how probable is an accident that would both cut 12V power to all doors, and disable all passengers enough so they would be incapable of opening a front door from inside.

I noticed that in the recent supposedly 60 mph frontal collision that both driver side doors were opened; a good sign.

You can do whatever you want.

I know where I'd rather be....

That video shows everyone staying in their vehicle, which I would think would be the safest thing. Getting off the road if your car still moves is always a good idea - and you are still in your car while you do that. Once off the road - sure get out of the car.

But if your car is disabled in the main lane and you can't see if its clear behind you? I don't know that you could get out past your side curtain airbags and possibly thru a damaged door and outrun oncoming cars in time.

Why is opening the glove box not mechanical in the first place? What possible advantage does software-controlled opening of the glove box offer. Tesla needs someone in the engineering department that just says no to ridiculous over-complicated solutions to already solved problems. That guy could have spared us all the falcon wing doors.
The rationale is thinking of a fully autonomous self driving car. The car takes you to work but then you let it drive strangers around for hire. But you want the glove box locked so strangers can't get to the contents. Its also at least partly why the Model 3 has a camera on the inside. Locking/unlocking the glove box can be done remotely, or based on who's driving etc.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Why is opening the glove box not mechanical in the first place? What possible advantage does software-controlledof keys opening of the glove box offer. Tesla needs someone in the engineering department that just says no to ridiculous over-complicated solutions to already solved problems. That guy could have spared us all the falcon wing doors.

The glove box is typically a lockable compartment. Making it manual means needing a key, no? You want to carry around a key now or have an unlockable glove box?

I'd give many recommendations to consider. Sad that Mr Musk doesn't have an account here.

Would recommend Tesla to add glove box compartment opening function to the app.
And holding hazards switch for 10 seconds shall release frunk, trunk, charging cord and glovebox locks.
Holding neutral (stalk half pull) with brake pedal for 10 seconds will release parking brake actuators.
Unlocking frunk by default after crash. In case of head-on collision it hardly matters. But there are other ways to crash.
And I would also recommend to add immediate post-crash parking brake engagement (partial until standstill, then full). So vehicle stops if crash detected and HV battery disabled.

Why is opening the glove box not mechanical in the first place? What possible advantage does software-controlled opening of the glove box offer.
Bimmers always have lockable compartments. Mine has lockable glovebox and rear trunk underfloor compartment.
Some others have middle hand rest that can be locked with a key.
As Tesla doesn't have a mechanical key, software lock is most appropriate. And it is darn cheap.

a simple button or handle would have worked. way to go tesla. lol ugh.
Like this?
YxJmTl4.jpg

If buttons only were wireless.
I'll show you something simple. Something that is 40 years old.
car-wire-diagram-for-electrical-tutorial-of-wiring-diagrams-inspiration.jpg

Should see the wiring harnesses in my old 98 Avalon. It has to add a lot of expense to rout all the copper wires with connectors etc. Could wireless solve this? Perhaps just a power bus and then wireless to control everything? Is that already being done or being planned for next generation electrical systems?

also have you tried using a touchscreen for intricate stuff while driving in a car? its a nightmare. physical buttons are still ideal for a lot of things. dont be fooled by the "whizbang tech" of an all touchscreen interface. basically dont be a fanboy.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy