Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Will Add Update to Allow Glove Compartment Release for Model 3 After an Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to roll out a software update to automatically open the Model 3 glove compartment following an accident. The change comes following safety concerns pointed out by an owner involved in a serious wreck.

[Update:This story has been updated to note the glove compartment will open automatically rather than manually.]

The Model 3 owner posted their story and photos of the wreckage on Reddit this week:

“I read that Tesla’s are one of the safest cars on the road today. They are right! The car is totaled but I am fine, my right ankle is swollen from hitting the gas pedal but I can still walk fine. Had this been a regular ICE vehicle I would be dead or in a lot worse condition. Everyone from the paramedics to the tow truck driver said that people don’t usually walk away from this. I already put in another model 3 reservation.

My only complaint about this car is that during the crash my passenger’s arm hit the screen and shattered it which prevented me from opening the glove box w/ title and insurance. Needs a manual option. Also my passenger got a pretty big cut on her arm. Maybe add a screen airbag. All in all it is a phenomenal car and I owe my life to Tesla.”

Musk responded to tweet about the accident on Twitter.

It’s great to see Tesla and Musk so quickly address safety concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile the rear seat passengers are trapped inside with no way to exit the vehicle,

Hyperbole? or trying to get attention like those two gasheads?

No way to exit vehicle? You mean the rear passengers would rather die then get out through the front door? like the millions of two door coupes and minivans?

I understand - if I can't open the door closest to me, it is such an embarrassment that I would rather die then trying to exit through two other doors in the front a few feet away

Reactions: arnis
Since the Model S does have manual release options you comment is a bit redundant, really.....
Let me quess. You've never been in real "bad" situation. Nobody is going to even consider emergency releases that are hidden out of sight. Everything that can not be seen is ignored. This is how humans operate. This includes very few..those who have some training.

Why are all these M3s being totaled in head-on crashes in the first place? I thought that automatic emergency braking should prevent this. Does anyone know why they are happening?
Tesla's AEB on AP2 vehicles is very raw. It's not as reliable as on some other vehicles, like Mercedes/VW/Volvo/BMW etc. It should get better in the future.

Meanwhile the rear seat passengers are trapped inside with no way to exit the vehicle,
Why do EVERYBODY assume that first thing that happens is that electric door release doesn't operate?
Clearly, no experience. Just fear.

Reactions: DR61
I’m so glad that in the event of a serious accident the automagical glovebox is top priority for Tesla. Meanwhile the rear seat passengers are trapped inside with no way to exit the vehicle, but hey at least the driver can get their registration papers.

I jest, but not really.

What percentage of cars in serious accidents lose 12V power immediately?

If a door is damaged, is a mechanical or electric release more likely to function after the damage?

I don't have statistical data, but you can bet Tesla studied it carefully.

The few serious accidents I've seen, 12V power stayed on for minutes or hours after the crash, certainly long after it's relevant for the purpose.

I'm not sure which is more likely to work after damage - the mechanical release is more complex, but it can also be forced with greater strength if needed.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: DR61
What percentage of cars in serious accidents lose 12V power immediately?

If a door is damaged, is a mechanical or electric release more likely to function after the damage?
Excellent observation. It could very well be that mechanical door opening mechanisms are less reliable in severe crashes than electrical ones. And we do not know the probabilities involved in failure of the 12V system in severe accidents. 12V problems that have been reported after cars are turned off for many hours are not relevant to crash situations. We do know that the cars have been approved by government agencies to meet current safety standards.

Why do EVERYBODY assume that first thing that happens is that electric door release doesn't operate?

Tesla has already acknowledged that this is a possible and perhaps likely scenario. Hence the manual releases on the front doors. Not fear, reality.

My question is why everyone assumes that after a major accident the electrical systems will all be fine or that passengers will all be coherent and able-bodied enough to climb over seats and/or bodies to exit through the front or through the trunk. A safety-first mindset requires that we anticipate the worst and plan for it.

This, like the glovebox, is a good example of Tesla being a tech company first and a car company second. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s dangerous.

Reactions: KDF
My question is why everyone assumes that after a major accident the electrical systems will all be fine
We (on this forum) don't have data on this; it is a probability question which requires access to data on thousands of serious accidents. Presumably the NHTSA DOES have data of this sort. Probably the insurance industry also has this data - which would be reflected in insurance rates.

Let me quess. You've never been in real "bad" situation. Nobody is going to even consider emergency releases that are hidden out of sight. Everything that can not be seen is ignored. This is how humans operate. This includes very few..those who have some training.

Tesla's AEB on AP2 vehicles is very raw. It's not as reliable as on some other vehicles, like Mercedes/VW/Volvo/BMW etc. It should get better in the future.

What proof do you have that some other random companies AEB is better?

Tesla has already acknowledged that this is a possible and perhaps likely scenario. Hence the manual releases on the front doors. Not fear, reality.

My question is why everyone assumes that after a major accident the electrical systems will all be fine or that passengers will all be coherent and able-bodied enough to climb over seats and/or bodies to exit through the front or through the trunk. A safety-first mindset requires that we anticipate the worst and plan for it.

This, like the glovebox, is a good example of Tesla being a tech company first and a car company second. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s dangerous.

OK, even if there was a manual release would they be coherent enough to use it? You can play what-if's all day long.

I've always felt the manual release in the back of the Model S was pretty useless, because no back seat passengers would even know where it is.

Reactions: arnis
would they

It's not even a question. It has been proven to be true for more than half of population.
In case of emergency, average human can't do a lot of things.
It's extremely likely that front door mechanical release lever will not be found.
It's for electrical fault, not for crash.
Probability that electrical release is not working and that door would open with mechanical release,
is more than extremely unlikely.

Pretty much "been there, seen that".

"Should I stay or should I go?" ask the lyrics.
The answer is "It depends on factors that you must be aware of."
No one , other than the person in the stopped car , has the ultimate command decision responsibility. Case in point: Fatality + injuries 3 car accident on US 81 on the NY Barge canal bridge in Brewerton NY.
The 911 operator advised the young female driver to "remain in the vehicle"...which she did till death when her dark, unlit car, at night, on unlit bridge, was hit by a car travelling at 65mph. The guard rail and life were 15 feet away. Plenty of opportunity and Very few cars ....but it only took 2 to hit her. It's always your decision.

Tesla could show off by automatically opening the glove compartment (for document retrieval) anytime the car is speeding and then stopped by a cop with flashing lights.

After all, we would not want the driver to be shot up by a paranoid, trigger happy cop who misinterprets the driver reaching to touch the screen.

"Should I stay or should I go?" ask the lyrics.
The answer is "It depends on factors that you must be aware of."
No one , other than the person in the stopped car , has the ultimate command decision responsibility. No conventional car can protect its occupants if it gets rear ended at 65mph or faster.
Case in point: Fatality + injuries accident on US 81 on the NY Barge canal bridge in Brewerton NY.
Her car came to a stop on an unlit bridge at night. Instead of immediately getting out when safe and quickly over the guardrail she was on the phone with 911 operator. That ended badly. Albion teen dies in five-car crash on I-81 in Hastings