Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winter Tire Package - Lead-time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's just me but I placed my order online in May 10 2018, received the order confirmation email on the same day. I ordered them early because I knew there will be a mad rush for them when winter comes due to the massive Model 3 deliveries, tomorrow will be the 5th month to the day I placed my order, have not received them as of yet!

Maybe it's just me but I placed my order online in May 10 2018, received the order confirmation email on the same day. I ordered them early because I knew there will be a mad rush for them when winter comes due to the massive Model 3 deliveries, tomorrow will be the 5th month to the day I placed my order, have not received them as of yet!

Whaaat? That is incredible... sounds like it’s worth a call to the SC for a follow up. Although, if it’s still warm then waiting may not be a bad strategy.

But are you a Day 1 reservation holder?? ;)

I emailed the online support multiple times last week no rely from them, called and left multiple messages at the SC as well, noone called me back. I ended up just dropping by the SC today, they said they will look into it and get back to me. But your milage may vary.

In the Province of Quebec, winter tires are mandatory as of Dec 15. As I am still waiting for my car not so patiently, I have zero confidence that Tesla would deliver the winter tires by that time if I were to place an order today. Sorry Tesla. l’ll be buying my tires elsewhere.

• Disagree
Reactions: ebatmobile
- 3,814 lb though.. all across the center

Let me put you mind at ease slightly. Winter came early here in Calgary and last week we had lots of snow, currently black ice. My experience with the RWD in ice/snow with stock aero tires:
  • Much more stable than expected. Far less of the rear sliding around than with lighter rwd cars (feels better than our ICE fwd or rwd that both had winter tires on)
  • Traction control is very good, did not need to use chill or low regen although you do feel the back kick out if you don’t ease off very gently
  • I did however almost get stuck due to losing momentum through an unplowed back alley (awd and/or snows would have probably helped), but rocking and slip start eventually got us free, recommend having a bag of salt in the back as well
  • We were also forced to take an unintended roundabout exit as it was a sheet of ice. Due to the weight of the car it has lots of momentum (only snows would have helped us, awd not so much). No car can defy physics!
All together extreme impressed with the car on one of the worst days for winter driving we’ve had in years. That being said, I’m most scared of ice as this is probably the heaviest car we’ve owned. For us we opted for winter tires instead of the awd upgrade and can’t wait to see what the car can handle once they’re installed.

I posted this in the Tesla Owners in Alberta thread:

With the early snow storm in Calgary, I wasn't sure the stock 18" Aero wheels would perform on me AWD Model 3. I have been very impressed with the traction I have.

Attachments

• image_-1671118263.png
    image_-1671118263.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 166
I posted this in the Tesla Owners in Alberta thread:

With the early snow storm in Calgary, I wasn't sure the stock 18" Aero wheels would perform on me AWD Model 3. I have been very impressed with the traction I have.

Just to clarify - you're talking about the stock Michelin all-season tires? The Aero wheels won't contribute much to traction, unless you're running tireless. ;)