Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla with Interior Upgrade vs. ICE luxury cars

Tesla with Interior Upgrade vs Other ICE Luxury

• Tesla will kill the competition with second growth spurt. Bring it on!

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Improving interior will not significantly improve the sales, thus the competition.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • No improvement in interior needed. Improving interior will increase the price, thus hurts the sales

Votes: 18 20.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In most of the demo-drives I have done in my S, the comments include 'grab handles' e.g. above the door, and need for more 'stuff-holes' for maps, flashlights, log-books, etc. I like the open 'box' on the floor but most people like more junk spaces. The current cup holders are fine. An adjustable driver headrest would be nice because when I'm wearing my helmet the headrest is in the way.

Recently when I took my Tesla in for some paintwork to be fixed I was first given a mercedes SUV which was then swapped for a top of the range mercedes sedan. Both were only a couple of months old. They were noisy, had loads of buttons, non intuitive and clunky, stopping and starting the diesel engines.
My model X has leather and wood interior, which I see and clean and classical, without being fussy and cluttered like the mercedes. I couldn't wait to get my car back.
I personally think the interior is great as it is. Once you've spent some time in a Tesla, the European cars lose their appeal.

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn and EinSV
I guess that I am on my own here but whatever.
I have a model S 85D. I intend to keep it or, possibly, trade it in for a newer version but when I analyse my feelings about the car, apart from the 'no fossil fuel' aspect - which, of course is the primary factor, the only two things that I like about the car are a/ the shape- beautiful, and b/ the driving experience. (Well, mostly, the effortless power.) The ride is a little too firm for my taste, the interior is, at best, bland and at worst, tacky. The road noise is way more than acceptable on anything other than smooth tar seal. The software is buggy and the ability to connect to outside wifi, questionable. Audio connection via bluetooth is a joke.
Then there's the screen. The screen, IMHO, is dangerous to use while driving. This is especially true in RHD models, where, for the majority of the population, left hand operation is most difficult. Switches and buttons can be felt for underway. Not so a touch screen. I suppose, when auto drive control becomes the norm, you can slip into that mode and prod the screen without menacing oncoming traffic. Until then, Tesla should disable touch screen control at anything over 10mph.
The Model S is a flawed masterpiece. Thankfully, the flaws are all fixable without changing the basic concept of the car.

My family and extended family are mostly physicians and I have converted quite a few family members onto Tesla but there is resistance from many older uncles/baby boomer types and a very common reason is the interior (which I don't get). My feeling is they grew up in the 60/70's w/the notion "success" is Mercedes/BMW and I guess their interiors had a major impact on them.
I never understood this though, you take a Mercedes driver's seat and stick four legs on it, people say "Meh, Leather chair". You take that same chair and stick it back in the Merc and some wood paneling, and some people are absolutely blown away. Never got that.

Reactions: Maximilien
I am perfectly fine with the design and minimalistic interior design, we don't need that myriad of buttons and switches everywhere like the German luxury cars BUT the quality of material should be improved. Some plastics look and feel cheap. Not a lot need to be done, just the perception of quality.
Despite this, I would go and buy another Model S right away.

Reactions: Maximilien
I think the design of the interior is perfectly fine - it fits their ethos and their general style and I don't think they need to make it more "complex" to be competitive. I don't think they need to add buttons or dials to the interior, if someone prefers an interior that's more busy then I don't think this is the car for them and that's okay. I think this style of interior appeals very well to their target demographic, namely people interested in technology and pressing electric vehicles forward.

I think quality and general features needs to improve though. I'm missing the Alcantara on the dash now. I want vented seats that actually work. I want seats that are as comfortable as my BMW or Mercedes. I want a HUD. I want a media player that doesn't fight me every time I get in. They're a new car company so I give them passes on most of these things, but that won't be the case forever and I think they'll need to catch up on some of these things to progress forward.

@ReturnZero your post pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. Only differences being that I HAVE the Alcantara on the dash and really, really like it - though before I got the car I was thinking it was a negative...but it's totally grown on me. And I feel the current (3rd Gen/Premium) seats are very comfortable. I have the Ultra White with PUP.

Agree with everything else - I like the minimalist design aesthetic. Coming from multiple BMWs (pretty much the only cars I've owned before the Tesla over the last 15 years or so), the Tesla interior is definitely "different" and it doesn't conform to conventional thinking about what constitutes a "luxury" car - lots of wood, angles, chrome, leather everywhere, multiple textures, lots of buttons, etc. I'll admit the initial feeling I had of the interior was that it is was underwhelming. But now I am into it and see it as minimalist. Like iPhone vs Blackberry. Remember the talk when the iPhone debuted and people said it couldn't compete with the Blackberry (especially in business) because it lacked a physical keyboard, scroll wheel, etc? And everyone I know ages 25-35 LOVE the interior and think it is far superior to "traditional luxury" interiors from BMW, Lexus, etc.

The things that need to improve for the interior in my opinion are mainly around the console and cup holders/arm rest. It takes up so much room but functionality is lacking. Looks like the Model 3 has the superior center console by far. I also think the door panels need to be reworked. They intrude too much into the front seat space (i.e. they are too wide). As for the handle to activate the electronic door opener being in the upper corner of the door....I've become used to it, but every passenger asks "how do I get out?" when riding in the car for the first time. Might be made to be a little more traditional. Again, seems like they have done this with the Model 3 (to some degree) already.

I drove my BMW (650i) this morning - have to drive it once in a while to keep the battery from dying and the fluids/seals good...that's about the only time I drive an ICE anymore (well, that and my wife's SUV). Two things about the interior of the BMW struck me today as things I'd like in the Tesla - HUD and a slightly smaller (more sporty IMO) steering wheel. And of course the aforementioned center console - I think the Tesla's center console is perhaps the least functional one I have ever seen, so virtually any car will beat that part out. HUD is super useful. Imagine a HUD with the representation of the autopilot stuff - the adjacent lanes and vehicles. Or nav directions. I love the HUD on the BMW. And with Tesla being software-driven and OTA updates - HUD would be something non-static and could evolve and change. That would be exciting. Smaller, more sporty steering wheel would help (a little) in making the Tesla feel slightly less boat like. I haven't measured the two wheels but I can definitely feel the BMW's wheel is smaller in diameter and, in my opinion, feels better than the Tesla wheel in my hands.

That's about it. I like the 17" display and hope they keep it integrated and vertical. Of course, the computer running it and the screen itself needs to be upgraded to be faster and more responsive. But otherwise I like it where it is.

There are small details like the glove box cover feeling flimsy that I suspect an interior refresh may also improve on. And ambient lighting and reading lamps, etc could be improved. And I think they will be. So, in summary, although I think there is room for improvement (especially that whole center console!) in the interior, I don't think it will be the deciding factor for too many people who are considering a Tesla. The appeal of a Tesla is more than the sum of it's parts. But even if it's a minority of fence sitters that would be swayed, a refreshed interior that still stays true to Tesla's minimalist ethos will be likely welcomed.

A Model S interior upgrade needs the following: Adjustable Shoulder Belts, Illuminated and larger Vanity Mirrors, Coat Hooks, Comparable Front Seats commensurate with the class (Note, it took Chevrolet over a decade of complaints to get the Corvette seats acceptable), Better Carpet, Rear Seat Cup Holder and Storage. I'm on the fence about adding a HUD. I have not required it when using navigation but I can understand how some people could be enamored with the tech especially if implemented better than any other car maker. Somehow it just doesn't seem to fit in with Tesla's overall plan to achieve Autonomous driving and therefore a waste of development resources. I almost forgot, the 12 volt battery needs to be engineered out of existence like in the Model 3. There is probably something obvious I'm leaving off but I'm sure my fellow commenters will let me know.

Last edited:
A Model S interior upgrade needs the following: Adjustable Shoulder Belts, Illuminated and larger Vanity Mirrors, Coat Hooks.

Yes! Can't believe I missed these. Absolutely.

Also, a better/bigger rear view mirror would be nice. And pre-wired constant 12v and switched 12v auxiliary wires would be awesome. Not strictly interior per sey but many of us add dash cams and/or radar detectors. It would be nice if Tesla could throw us a bone and add a few extra wires near the rear view mirror, maybe obviously labeled like "aux 12v always-on" and "aux 12v switched". Extra awesome if there was a cable running from the mirror area to the trunk that would make it a breeze to add a dual channel camera - probably too much to expect that! But just the 12v options near the rear view would be welcome to avoid having to splice into existing wires or run power from ODBC port, etc.

I am happy with the seats as-is, comfort wise. Yes, it would be nice to have (properly) ventilated seats. Hey, throw in massaging seats while they're at it. But if not, I'm ok with the seats. YMMV of course.

I thought the Model 3 still has as 12v battery? There was discussion of the Model Y not having a 12v battery but who knows how that will end up.

You are correct. Model 3 still has the 12v battery from what I understand. Model Y (or whatever it is called) is still said to have the (probably) 48v system and Ethernet style cableing (to reduce wiring lengths considerably). But as you say, this could change given originally Model Y was said to be completely new platform...and now some months later it is going to be based on Model 3. If they do make Model Y 48v, and seeing as it has a shared platform with Model 3, perhaps a future version of Model 3 will also ditch 12v. But...who knows.

Long ago I owned a 2000 750 iL.I used to think it would be the nicest automobile that I would ever own. I now think the same thing about my Model X. Biggest gripe? The beast of a V-12 BMW was quieter on the road than my Tesla. This simply should not be. Second gripe? I seem to lose signal in many areas for GPS and radio. Frustrating. Third (and last) gripe? The windshield wipers. I live in the desert where I only use them on rare occasion, but when I do, they never quite get the job done well. Don't get me wrong. I love my X.

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
Is there somewhere people have listed these so called interior improvements that are needed?

Personally, the only area for potential improvement is seating (ventilated seats in front, overall seating and console in rear, better headrest adjustments, auto driver's seat positioning on exit). Otherwise, other things seem minor.

Exactly agree with improvements, would be minor upgrade, but enough to overcome the feeling that you are compromising a little. Just comping out of a Porsche Panamera with really great interior, but simplicity of the Telsa interior is better barring above recommended improvements.

I'm a bit more indifferent to the interior than a lot of folks here. Sure a Panamera or S-class looks and feels much nicer, but to me, its not bad the way it is. Some material refinements, better padding and sound proofing can improve the interior without having to drastically redo it. I think it looks quite alright otherwise.

My bigger issue is with feature improvements. I feel not much has happened in terms of tech features in the car for the last few years, the focus on AP2 has been way too much without enough success while leaving a LOT of other improvements behind. Simple things like speeding up the UI, improving the browser, nav, maps, USB interface, adding other abilities on screen, all should progress in parallel with the AP2 and other bigger projects. I'm not quite clear on why everything appears to have halted completely in favor of AP2 and the Model 3. Even basic luxury car features like auto-sensing wipers are yet to be implemented which is really sad.

If they could just launch a MAJOR update fixing all the above promised software improvements and a few others that haven't been discussed that often, I think the interior woes might not be as impactful