Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't install solar on my roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a month of back and forth with Tesla they have informed me that they can't install solar panels on my roof, their reasoning is "...because we are currently unable to install on roofs with screwed down tiles." My roof is actually nailed down and I informed them of that with pictures and they still said they can't install the solar panels on concrete roof tiles now. They describe this as an issue with their installation system and not being able to guarantee the system won't leak.

Has anyone else heard this or been told this before? My roof tiles are flat concrete and nailed down to the roof deck with nailing planks in between. So is every other house in my neighborhood, some with Tesla solar already installed, and solar from other companies too.

I'm trying to throw money at them and they said no...repeatedly.

A big operation like Tesla needs to have some strict rules like this to keep their many crews from screwing up and creating a liability issue.

Reach out to a local installers and point them to Tesla's online pricing. Tell them to match it and come on by for a site visit.

There's no real need to deal with Tesla unless you have a Powerwall. Once microgrids and solar aggregation starts up it would be good to have Tesla own the whole job, but for now....just slap some panels up. Maybe match the typical hardware Tesla uses so you know it'll work with their products/system down the line.

I've got concrete tile and have an open contract with Tesla. They made no mention of the tiles being an issue.

I haven't actually bought yet, but did have a site visit. So there's no chance they are unaware of the specific tiles I have.

After a month of back and forth with Tesla they have informed me that they can't install solar panels on my roof, their reasoning is "...because we are currently unable to install on roofs with screwed down tiles." My roof is actually nailed down and I informed them of that with pictures and they still said they can't install the solar panels on concrete roof tiles now. They describe this as an issue with their installation system and not being able to guarantee the system won't leak.

Has anyone else heard this or been told this before? My roof tiles are flat concrete and nailed down to the roof deck with nailing planks in between. So is every other house in my neighborhood, some with Tesla solar already installed, and solar from other companies too.

Did you escalate the issue? I had a similar situation back with Solar City, they said that my roof did not get enough sunlight which is nonsense. After escalating the issue I got the system approved and it is working flawlessly.

There's no real need to deal with Tesla unless you have a Powerwall. Once microgrids and solar aggregation starts up it would be good to have Tesla own the whole job, but for now....just slap some panels up.

Sorry, but I don't understand the benefits of having the "whole job" owned by Tesla, much less why it's necessary to have the Tesla name on every item either now or down the road.

I have 68 solar panels. Some are a dozen years old, others only 6 or 8, installed as I could afford to increase my power generation. NONE are Tesla solar. Heck, Tesla wasn't even making tiles back then. I also used to have several hundred pounds of lead acid batteries, and several different makes of inverters, etc. They all worked well with each other. Now I have three Power walls, which take up far less room than my old batteries and can pick and choose the power supply, either solar or grid. Pretty smart.

And they all work together. Amazing. Kyocera, Sonnyboy, some off brand (can't read the label anymore), and all sending power to my batteries, which just happen to be Tesla. Well, hey, they at least match my cars!

Reactions: NuShrike

Find a different company.

I've considered another company but we're looking at getting a Powerwall, that's the only thing holding me to Tesla at this point, and the integration of everything into one app with the car, solar system on another house, and then on this house with the solar and Powerwall.

I haven't tried escalating the issue, I've emailed the support email and just got the same response back. I'll look around at other options to see if a third party will install with the Powerwall.