Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla. Won't repair glass anymore.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an appointment to fix a crack in sunroof. Tesla canceled it and a shady glass third party guy calls me saying he charges 500 for labor and 2k for glass. He says he won't work with any insurance companies so I have to go out of pocket. Tesla sf refuses to take my car. saying they have no room anymore for cars. What is going on? I have been taking my s to the dealer since the year it was released and no problems, but now I can't even take my new model 3 for a repair?

Sorry for the issues your SF area is experiencing.
However, your subject heading is misleading, and not accurate. You realize your local area Tesla does not represent all North America right. ?

Tesla replaces glass with no problem where I am.
It should read “Tesla SF won’t replace my glass. “

If I posted a thread with the subject
“Tesla service centre’s makes all appointments within a week”.
(Which is true here. )
It would be short sighted, and inaccurate since I know that doesn’t reflect all of North America or Europe.

Your subject heading is dramatic though. I’ll give you that. :)

My roof glass is also cracked , Tesla parts department said $825 plus tax for the glass roof, and labor from a local place is around $150-200 installed is a quote I got.

Tesla mobile guy said they sub that work out at the service center here in Socal

Again..... This is what you should say.

Tesla doesn’t work on glass "at the service center I visit" anymore.

Yes they do replace glass here in Chicago at the Service Center.
Curious to know if your 100% sure ‘Tesla ‘ does the actual work? Even in 2013 they used a 3rd party to do the glass.(here in Ca)
& yes I should say what you bolded in that case. I find it odd they do it differently in CA

Curious to know if your 100% sure ‘Tesla ‘ does the actual work? Even in 2013 they used a 3rd party to do the glass.(here in Ca)
& yes I should say what you bolded in that case. I find it odd they do it differently in CA

My glass replacement is scheduled for replacement at the Service Center ( Grand Avenue in Chicago ) on the 20th by Tesla.

Yes, I'm 100% sure. I go there quite often since its right down the street from my job.

My roof glass is also cracked , Tesla parts department said $825 plus tax for the glass roof, and labor from a local place is around $150-200 installed is a quote I got.

Tesla mobile guy said they sub that work out at the service center here in Socal

They must be too busy in California to do that kind of work.

Maybe that's why the prices are higher in California. The subcontractors have to make some kind of money. I know for sure the glass is on $465 or so here in Chicago.

My glass replacement is scheduled for replacement at the Service Center ( Grand Avenue in Chicago ) on the 20th by Tesla.

Yes, I'm 100% sure. I go there quite often since its right down the street from my job.
100% sure?
My glass was all replaced at service centers too:rolleyes: and whilst they are 250 miles from me i have been there at least 20 times since ‘12, doesn’t change the fact that they contract it out in house...let us (me)know on the 21st ;)

I have an appointment on Monday at the service center to get a new windshield installed. I could have used Safelite but Tesla would still need to re-calibrate the AP cameras so I might as well have Tesla do it all at once. Luckily they have them in stock and I was able to get an appointment in less than a week.

Got a big rock chip in my windshield that isn't repairable. It was like a double impact point about the size of a quarter. Feels bad man. I wish I lowered my comprehensive deductible. Now I'm out $500.

AA646DF6-43BC-4DAB-B7A0-2BD7BB727D71.png
Fyi for those curious about the glassroof. Mobile guy told me even tho its done at Van Nuys , its subcontracted out. So i guess technically its still done at the service center but not by tesla techs at Van Nuys or Burbank.

So, for those who've experienced a cracked glass roof on their 3 (there are obviously numerous other threads on this), would you agree with [FAKE] Ride-share company purchases Times-Square Billboard Complaining about 1.5yr Repair Times who asserts "Warranty repairs on the glass roof is probably 105 on a list of top 100 things Model 3 owners fret about."? :rolleyes:

I don't know what the other 104 items might be, but I suspect it's a lot higher up for folks who have a clue (e.g. have seen posts about glass roof cracks), sometimes due to impacts and others due to ???. I know of at least 2 folks at work w/3's who experienced cracked glass roofs. One had an impact from road debris so Tesla's not covering his under warranty.