Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't wake up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just wondering if anyone had this happened them them.

I currently have a 2021 Model 3 with 2021.44.30.21 installed 2 days ago. I had noticed that the app last night wasn't connecting but I didn't think too much of it. I woke up this morning and the car did not charged (scheduled charging at midnight). I went to open the car door and the screen was blank. The interior lights and the phone charger worked and had power. I tried to put the car in drive and reverse (with the charging cable attached) expecting a beep. I got nothing. I also tried to do the 2 button reset and got nothing. The screen remained blank.
Just as I was going to put in a service request on the app the car woke up.

Has anyone have this happen to them?
Do you know why this happened?
How to do I stop this from happening again?

Thank you

Last edited:
I have had a "sleeping" M3 2021 a couple of times in the past two months that wouldn't wake up. Rebooting the infotainment system eventually worked. My guess was that both times a recent firmware update didn't completely take so now I manually reboot the infotainment system after every firmware update after the initial automatic firmware reboot and that seems to have resulted in things working as expected but time will tell.

I recently received the new fancy chip in our 2014 Model S. This was in December. I too experience the same problem. The car just does not wake up when I open the doors. Twenty minutes later still no screen. I do a reboot at that time, and within about 5 minutes all is well again. This is an intermittent problem.

I also had the 12V replaced at the same time, so that is new. I did have a service scheduled to look into this but canceled. Clearly there is some sort of software issue that sends the car into deep sleep. Like others, when it goes into this sleep, charging is canceled as well.

When I press on the brake, I can hear the grinding of whatever happens to make contacts. I'll see if it continues for a few more weeks, and then I will just take the car to service and let them screw with it on their time.

I recently received the new fancy chip in our 2014 Model S. This was in December. I too experience the same problem. The car just does not wake up when I open the doors. Twenty minutes later still no screen. I do a reboot at that time, and within about 5 minutes all is well again. This is an intermittent problem.

I also had the 12V replaced at the same time, so that is new. I did have a service scheduled to look into this but canceled. Clearly there is some sort of software issue that sends the car into deep sleep. Like others, when it goes into this sleep, charging is canceled as well.

When I press on the brake, I can hear the grinding of whatever happens to make contacts. I'll see if it continues for a few more weeks, and then I will just take the car to service and let them screw with it on their time.
thanks for the info. Please keep us updated as well.

I had my MCU and ICU upgraded on our 2013 MS60. Stared last week car won't wake up or unable to open any door unless jumping the car. When jumped there is no error message. Only stays up for about 4-6 hours after jumping. After shuts down locked. Tesla pushed 2 updates today. Both failed during this all door handles were opening and closing and my interior lights were flashing.

I had my MCU and ICU upgraded on our 2013 MS60. Started last week car won't wake up or unable to open any doors unless jumping the car. When jumped there is no error message. Only stays up for about 4-6 hours after jumping. After shuts down locked. Tesla pushed 2 updates today. Both failed during this all door handles were opening and closing and my interior lights were flashing.

I was just wondering if anyone had this happened them them.

I currently have a 2021 Model 3 with 2021.44.30.21 installed 2 days ago. I had noticed that the app last night wasn't connecting but I didn't think too much of it. I woke up this morning and the car did not charged (scheduled charging at midnight). I went to open the car door and the screen was blank. The interior lights and the phone charger worked and had power. I tried to put the car in drive and reverse (with the charging cable attached) expecting a beep. I got nothing. I also tried to do the 2 button reset and got nothing. The screen remained blank.
Just as I was going to put in a service request on the app the car woke up.

Has anyone have this happen to them?
Do you know why this happened?
How to do I stop this from happening again?

Thank you
Looks like this is happening across multi models. I have a 2018 S and the car is totally dead but the door opens and its happening a lot more often now. I find that when I open the app and request the car to do something it wakes up!