Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y always starts charging immediately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I have a one month old S and have consistently found that the car ignores the scheduled charge time and starts charging on its own 10-60 min after being plugged in. Tesla has checked out my charger and the car and can find no problem. Today, a tech recommended resetting my Tesla app password just to make sure some other app was not hijacking the schedule. I don't have any third party apps installed, but I reset password anyway. Well, about 30 seconds later, I received an email from Optiwatt confirming that I had reset my Tesla password and could they have my credentials again. I declined.

As it turns out, I had installed the Optiwatt app just to try it at the recommendation from a friend, then decided I didn't need it and deleted it from my phone. I thought that was the end of Optiwatt, but it wasn't. My car is now plugged in but NOT charging, apparently waiting for the scheduled charge time tonight. It has now waited to charge for more than an hour--a new record!

I had never been to the Optiwatt website, but I signed in with my previous app credentials, and sure enough, I have a profile with settings from when it was on my phone. The website shows charging at cheapest time enabled. Since I am on a constant rate plan, I conjecture that Optiwatt was overriding the Tesla schedule to charge right away, since I am always at the cheapest rate. Besides not sharing my Tesla app credentials with Optiwatt, I have disabled Optiwatt's scheduling function.

Moral of the story for me: The easiest way to make sure only your Tesla app is controlling the car, change your password! You will find out right away who else wants access.

-JJ
+1 to optiwatt being the culprit for me as well. Deleted my account and I’m not experiencing the issue anymore.