Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just installed TeslaCam on my model 3.

Seems to be working ok. However, when I look at the information display on my laptop I noticed that the Date Modified time is not the actual time of the recording, and is about +12 hours off.
I did check the clock on the vehicle and it appears to be correct.
I would like to correct this error in the event that I need to use the camera footage in a claim or to present to the police.
Please see attached image.
Thanks for your help.
Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 11.36.18 AM.png

It does appear that the modified timestamps are GMT, IF the OP is in Indio, CA. Currently with Daylight Saving Time in effect, the West Coast is 7 hours behind GMT. For example, 5:38PM in the Date Modified column is seven hours ahead of the time denoted in the filename: 2018-10-20_10_38.mp4. The assumption is that 2018-10-20 is the date (year-month-day) and 10_38 the time (hh_mm). If you add 7 hours to 10:38AM, you get 5:38PM. The minute difference is probably due to the filename having the start of the recording session and the date modified the end of the session. I don't know where the OP gets a 12 hour difference.

The filestamps are in UTC. FAT32 is a filesystem that has no concept of "time zones". That's why your files appear to be "from the future" 7 hours ahead.

EDIT:

#1. In other words, the only way to fix this is to have the MCU's clock set to your local timezone. I don't think Tesla will ever do that.
#2. If I was in London (UTC+1 due to DST), 9pm (17:00), created a file on a FAT32 partition on a USB drive, and used a Star Trek transporter to beam the USB drive to you Ocean West where it's 1pm, when you plug in the USB drive, the files will show they have a timestamp of today of 9pm, 8 hours ahead.

Last edited: