Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 Dashcam Footage Recovery - Urgent Assistance Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was involved in a car accident where another vehicle collided with the right side of my Tesla while attempting to change lanes. Unfortunately, the other driver is insisting that I was the one who changed lanes and caused the collision.

I am aware that the Tesla dashcam records only one hour of footage before overwriting it. By the time I realized the importance of the footage and checked the dashcam, it was already more than one and a half hours after the accident, and the relevant footage had been overwritten.

I am reaching out to seek your assistance and expertise to determine if there is any possibility of recovering the overwritten footage from my Tesla dashcam. This video could be crucial evidence to establish the correct sequence of events and prove that I was not at fault for the accident.

Please let me know if there are any options or solutions available to recover the lost footage or if there is any further information or steps that you may recommend.

Thank you in advance for your help and attention to this matter.

Diana

You can try contacting Tesla with the approximate time of the event.. They may be able to help. Something vaguely similar happened to us once and I think when the car is involved in an incident the footage gets automatically saved/sent to the Tesla mothership (I might be wrong but ours was definitely saved). Good luck.

Upvote 0
Today I was involved in a car accident where another vehicle collided with the right side of my Tesla while attempting to change lanes. Unfortunately, the other driver is insisting that I was the one who changed lanes and caused the collision.

I am aware that the Tesla dashcam records only one hour of footage before overwriting it. By the time I realized the importance of the footage and checked the dashcam, it was already more than one and a half hours after the accident, and the relevant footage had been overwritten.

I am reaching out to seek your assistance and expertise to determine if there is any possibility of recovering the overwritten footage from my Tesla dashcam. This video could be crucial evidence to establish the correct sequence of events and prove that I was not at fault for the accident.

Please let me know if there are any options or solutions available to recover the lost footage or if there is any further information or steps that you may recommend.

Thank you in advance for your help and attention to this matter.

Diana

Consider reading through this post from one of our regular members ( @stopcrazypp ) where they talk about dashcam recovery.

Upvote 1
You can try contacting Tesla with the approximate time of the event.. They may be able to help. Something vaguely similar happened to us once and I think when the car is involved in an incident the footage gets automatically saved/sent to the Tesla mothership (I might be wrong but ours was definitely saved). Good luck.
Thank you for your suggestion. I submitted a data request to Tesla through their website, but unfortunately, according to their following table, the dashcam footage appears to be unavailable.
1680847297170.png

Upvote 0
Consider reading through this post from one of our regular members ( @stopcrazypp ) where they talk about dashcam recovery.

Thank you so much! I used the recovery software mentioned in the post to retrieve the dashcam footage, and I found the crucial one. It completely proves my innocence. I really appreciate it. As a new user, I'm not sure how to express my gratitude or "like" the helpful posts here.

Diana

Upvote 0
Thank you so much! I used the recovery software mentioned in the post to retrieve the dashcam footage, and I found the crucial one. It completely proves my innocence. I really appreciate it. As a new user, I'm not sure how to express my gratitude or "like" the helpful posts here.
I'm glad it worked out for you! New users are not able to "like" other posts or edit their own. After you make 10 or so posts then you are allowed to do those things.

Upvote 0
For future reference, setting Controls > Safety > Dashcam to Auto will automatically save dashcam video for some accidents:

Auto: Dashcam automatically saves a recording to the USB drive when Model 3 detects a safety-critical event, such as a collision or airbag deployment. When Auto is selected, detection can vary and is subject to your vehicle's power, sleep, and Autopilot state.

Whether that would helped in the OP’s case is unclear.

Upvote 0
So glad to hear. Yes, honking saves and another thing that can be easily missed is checking the "saved" folder. Eg if you honk it'll move to there versus the general folder. I thought I didn't have footage when I was rear ended but later discovered it was simply in the saved folder.

Upvote 0

Diana
I didn't follow up given the link was posted already, but I'm glad my tip/experiment was able to help!

Upvote 0
Thank you for everyone's help. My car was hit by someone yesterday who then lied to the police, claiming that I changed lanes and hit him. I was in the far left lane on highway. With your help, I was able to recover the dashcam footage, which shockingly revealed that his car was actually behind me, and he suddenly changed lanes, deliberately and directly hitting my car. This is a very dangerous behavior on a highway. I am wondering, besides dealing with insurance, should I consult a lawyer about this situation?

Upvote 0