Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam skips days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had someone claimed I caused an accident which I was not aware of. I tried to view my TeslaCam clipping and found that the saved clips seemed to have saved everyday the month of September, a few days at the beginning of October and then jumped to Nov 22 and Nov 23. Unfortunately I need to view Nov 21. Does anyone know the logic of this behavior? If it ran out of memory and start looping, shouldn't it overwrite the oldest files first?
Thanks.

You do not mention if you use Sentry or not. If just DashCam then you should have a Recent Clips folder and a Saved Clips folder. The Saved Clips folder is for when you hit the Red dot to download 10 - 1 minute clips.

Sentry used the Saved Clips at one time to save clips but I think there is new Sentry Clips now. The Sentry Clips would be saved only when there is a Sentry event or alarm.

The Recent Clips folder is the one hour loop of your daily driving. It overwrites continuously.

Something similar happens to me. Seems like random days are saved. Drove 140 miles yesterday and didn't have anything. Went to Starbucks this morning and got my to/from drive. I have a Samsung SSD with a terabyte so it's not about space. Besides, I delete all the files every week is nothing has happened. Worrisome!

I recently had someone claimed I caused an accident which I was not aware of. I tried to view my TeslaCam clipping and found that the saved clips seemed to have saved everyday the month of September, a few days at the beginning of October and then jumped to Nov 22 and Nov 23. Unfortunately I need to view Nov 21. Does anyone know the logic of this behavior? If it ran out of memory and start looping, shouldn't it overwrite the oldest files first?
Thanks.
Don’t know the answer to your problem, but Sentry Mode vids wouldn’t help since it’s parked footage. You would need to have pressed the dash cam icon to save vids from a particular timeframe.

Don’t know the answer to your problem, but Sentry Mode vids wouldn’t help since it’s parked footage. You would need to have pressed the dash cam icon to save vids from a particular timeframe.

This.

There's only 2 times anything is saved.

You intentionally push the cam button which copies the last 10 minutes of footage to a saved area.

Sentry goes into alert mode- in which case IT moves the last 10 minutes of footage to a saved area.

That's it.

Those won't be deleted unless the drive is running out of space but they're all that is saved.

Only thing else on your teslacam key should be the last ~1 hour of the car being awake that is continually over-written as time passes.

This.

There's only 2 times anything is saved.

You intentionally push the cam button which copies the last 10 minutes of footage to a saved area.

Sentry goes into alert mode- in which case IT moves the last 10 minutes of footage to a saved area.

That's it.

Those won't be deleted unless the drive is running out of space but they're all that is saved.

Only thing else on your teslacam key should be the last ~1 hour of the car being awake that is continually over-written as time passes.

Hum. Interesting except in many other days, weeks, months my cam has recorded miles of video. So, is your comment based on something new?

Hum. Interesting except in many other days, weeks, months my cam has recorded miles of video. So, is your comment based on something new?

No, what I describe is how the system has always worked (and it's exactly how it's explained in the owners manual) with only the exception that until pretty recently it wouldn't auto-delete old sentry files if the drive filled up (instead it'd just change the red camera icon to a grey x and stop recording until you clearly space off yourself) and they changed the folder naming a bit... see below on that.

Are the videos of the car moving or parked?

Sentry records when you are parked. DashCam records when you are moving.

Nope.

Sentry records never.

Dash cam is always what is recording.

If the car is on (powered on- if you're driving or not makes no difference) than dash cam is recording- unless you manually turn it off or don't have an appropriate USB storage device attached. Sentry, when activated, keeps the car "on" so he dash cam keeps recording.

On the key there's 3 folders.

Recent is the last 60 minutes of footage. Always. It overwrites itself as needed.

Saved is where the last 10 minutes from anytime you tap the camera icon to "save" footage goes.

Sentry is where sentry mode moves the last 10 minutes any time it goes to alert mode. That's all sentry is doing, video-wise... moving the DASH CAM last 10 minutes from Recent into the sentry folder to keep it from being auto-overwritten 60 minutes later.

This is also why you can't turn on dash cam with no USB storage, but you CAN turn on sentry- it'll still do everything else (warning on the screen and flash the lights when someone comes near to put it into alert- blare the stereo with classical music for an alarm, etc) it just won't move the video since it doesn't exist without dash cam running.

The folder change they made a couple updates ago was there used to be just a saved folder where what now goes into saved AND sentry used to both go... they separated em to make it a bit clearer which was which.

Also, AFAIK, the car will self-delete the oldest files in Sentry if it's running out of space...but won't ever delete the files in Saved.

No, what I describe is how the system has always worked (and it's exactly how it's explained in the owners manual) with only the exception that until pretty recently it wouldn't auto-delete old sentry files if the drive filled up (instead it'd just change the red camera icon to a grey x and stop recording until you clearly space off yourself) and they changed the folder naming a bit... see below on that.

Nope.

Sentry records never.

Dash cam is always what is recording.

If the car is on (powered on- if you're driving or not makes no difference) than dash cam is recording- unless you manually turn it off or don't have an appropriate USB storage device attached. Sentry, when activated, keeps the car "on" so he dash cam keeps recording.

On the key there's 3 folders.

Recent is the last 60 minutes of footage. Always. It overwrites itself as needed.

Saved is where the last 10 minutes from anytime you tap the camera icon to "save" footage goes.

Sentry is where sentry mode moves the last 10 minutes any time it goes to alert mode. That's all sentry is doing, video-wise... moving the DASH CAM last 10 minutes from Recent into the sentry folder to keep it from being auto-overwritten 60 minutes later.

This is also why you can't turn on dash cam with no USB storage, but you CAN turn on sentry- it'll still do everything else (warning on the screen and flash the lights when someone comes near to put it into alert- blare the stereo with classical music for an alarm, etc) it just won't move the video since it doesn't exist without dash cam running.

The folder change they made a couple updates ago was there used to be just a saved folder where what now goes into saved AND sentry used to both go... they separated em to make it a bit clearer which was which.

Also, AFAIK, the car will self-delete the oldest files in Sentry if it's running out of space...but won't ever delete the files in Saved.

Very helpful. Thanks so much.