Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi causing 540 vehicle server errors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has stated that this error is caused by too many requests to their API/vehicle over a period of time. When I turn off TeslaFi logging the error ceases to occur. Within 24 hours of re-enabling the logging from TeslaFi the error starts to occur in a regular cadence. This did not used to be the case but maybe something has changed on Tesla's API that is causing TeslaFi to exacerbate this issue.

This was posted on the TeslaFi support forum multiple times last week and has been deleted by the mods. Very suspicious and I will be discontinuing my subscription until I here a proper response from support or some confirmation that this is not caused by Teslafi. The last time this was posted it was moved to the helpdesk and immediately closed with a blunt statement that TeslaFi is not responsible. If this is the case please post publicly so that others can be informed rather than hiding it away.

TeslaFi are calling the Tesla api every 20-40 seconds during a drive and once every minute otherwise (checked this morning). I believe they've been doing that for a long time now, it doesn't seem like they've changed anything recently.
If someone is using one or more other logger at the same time, the other logger will also be doing similar calls and that starts to add up. Every time we bring up the mobile app, it also does some calls and that also adds up.

Either the people having problems have registered to multiple loggers / apps that call the Tesla api, or Tesla might have recently changed its "denial of service" rule.

EDIT: Oh, vehicle server error... It's the car that limits the number of requests to it, not the Tesla servers in the cloud. Same explanation though, but an additional detail.

Note that many people have posted about such errors and rebooting the car was the solution. Your car might be in need of a reboot.

Rebooting indeed helps. I've experienced this before in the past and it usually has not recurred more often than "once in a while".

However, over the past week it has been recurring very regularly. I suspect it's something to do with a Tesla firmware update that is more sensitive to repeated requests. However, this doesn't change the fact that it only occurs while TeslaFi is actively logging. I've had TeslaFi for several months and this issue has not been persistently problematic. I do think that the combination of the current tesla firmware and TeslaFi requests are causing it though. It's anecdotal but turning TeslaFi off remedies the issue and turning it back on causes the issue to return.

Not anecdotal at all actually. TeslaFi does call in every 20-40s during a drive, that's a LOT more calls than would typically be issued from the only official Tesla app that calls those services, the mobile app. Disabling TeslaFi is certainly expected to have an effect on such an error.

Now, WHY is it an error for you and not others is a good question. I've been using TeslaFi since day 1, for more than two years now, and have never experienced a 540 error. I have always updated my car's software when a new version was offered.

Are you sure you never used another logger? Maybe it's still calling in if you haven't deleted your account there, even if you uninstalled an app or something like that.

I'm not using another logger and I can say that this started happening very frequently since updating to 2022.12.3.1

I'm thinking something in that update reduced the threshold for requests. Or it's simply a bug in the firmware but regardless it makes using TeslaFi less than ideal at this point.

What version are you currently running?

Check the TeslaFi sleep mode settings and make sure it's not accessing your car more often than necessary.
It's sleeping often when this happens. Still it only occurs with TeslaFi logging enabled so it's clear to me that TeslaFi is at least part of the issue if not the root cause. I've also not changed my TeslaFi settings for months and have had very few issues until updating to 2022.12.3.1. I think there is some combination of factors that are now pushing it over some rate limit.