Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi Reboots MCU every time I enter car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't see how an API call could crash the car. That's a pretty serious TESLA bug if possible (not TeslaFi).
I would think it would have more to do with the app calling for a GPS location or it could be looking for a Bluetooth connection to the car. Not being a programmer, I would think the app is trying to do a polling when this happens and the car is not liking it.

An api call to a Tesla Server that ends up talking to the car could certainly have the potential of crashing the infotainment system... but yes, that would be a serious problem, and that problem could occur when the api is called from other sources including the Tesla app itself. I am not saying this is what happening. I am just trying to find a reason why that TeslaFi app would end up crashing the infotainment system. It cannot talk to the infotainment system directly, it has to talk to Tesla servers. It can try to interact in some way with the Tesla app on the phone but that would be complicated, and might only work on Android. It might also fiddle with Bluetooth connections to try and figure things out... maybe there's a problem with the bluetooth fiddling.

All that comes from an assumption on my part about what that app could be trying to do. It's just an idea, there is no proof/facts yet. The app itself does not announce any of this on the app store posting.

Reactions: brkaus
The car only talks with tesla servers. However many times someone calls the Tesla Api, that api on the server in the cloud could/should cache data, it should not call the car as many times. Any way, that's not specific to the TeslaFi Mobile app, the Tesla API is called by plenty of services too. The TeslaFi web page is backed by a backend service that calls the Tesla API for all its users, every second (while awake) and every minute when sleeping, something like that. I don't believe that the mobile app would be sending thousands of calls and crashing something on the car that way.

Reactions: brkaus
Teslafi support says the app is legit and it just generates a token.
Perhaps I had a token issue. After I created a new account on the app, it directed me to getting a token, which I did, and then it asked me to get another. I did it again, and did not understand what happened to the first one. Anyway, both of those tokens are invalid now, because I uninstalled the app, and got a new token through the web interface. I could access the TeslaFi site through the app, but it seemed clunky, and did not format for the phone. It appeared to be just accessing the full web version on the phone. TeslaFi is wrong, because the app did allow me to access functions with my account and statistics in this clunky interface.