Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lovely stuff! - how long have you been collecting data for to get to 8mb out of curiosity?

Not long at all, since pickup on 2nd March. Just had the Teslamate trial so there's a few drives missing during lockdown whilst I was in between that and this.

I presume smaller drives of the same distance take up more space than one drive of the same distance in the db? So 105 drives and 28 charges on that front.

How big are your files?

Not long at all, since pickup on 2nd March. Just had the Teslamate trial so there's a few drives missing during lockdown whilst I was in between that and this.

I presume smaller drives of the same distance take up more space than one drive of the same distance in the db? So 105 drives and 28 charges on that front.

How big are your files?

180k, but it’s only been running for just under 3 days with only 1 charge, one tiny drive and a software update to record, mainly the car has been asleep.

I’m up to 11MB, and I’ve been collecting data since 2nd February. Not too many drives recently though.

Not huge then, for what is presumably a lot of data :)

180k, but it’s only been running for just under 3 days with only 1 charge, one tiny drive and a software update to record, mainly the car has been asleep.

Not huge then, for what is presumably a lot of data :)
Mine is 220 drives and 35 charges. The last charge was on 6th April, so over a month ago, to 80%, and the car is still on 51% :)

Reactions: DaveW
I've made a slight change to the script to automatically compress the file. Its not too bad if you want only 7 days worth, but I'm thinking of keeping a rolling month or year.

Code:
sudo /usr/local/bin/docker-compose exec -T database pg_dump -U teslamate teslamate | gzip > /home/pi/tmbackup/teslamate_bck_${now}.gz
rclone copy --max-age 24h /home/pi/tmbackup --include 'teslamate_bck*' gdrive:TeslaMate

I've made a slight change to the script to automatically compress the file. Its not too bad if you want only 7 days worth, but I'm thinking of keeping a rolling month or year.

Code:
sudo /usr/local/bin/docker-compose exec -T database pg_dump -U teslamate teslamate | gzip > /home/pi/tmbackup/teslamate_bck_${now}.gz
rclone copy --max-age 24h /home/pi/tmbackup --include 'teslamate_bck*' gdrive:TeslaMate

Nice idea @ma9mwah - I'll give that a bash next week and add it as an option on the guide if you don't mind :)

Code:
Great idea. What’s the difference in size between the original and compressed files?

Haha.

Small update to my history dash with the heatmap now. Shame there's no setting (yet) to have that in 'light' mode.

VZbgGfK.png

@DaveW

Another little tutorial coming on perhaps? Or would it be easier for Numpties like me to ask Adrian Klumph to add good ones into the build?

I’ll have to learn myself first! My SQL knowledge is virtually non-existent :)

Hoping to spend some time tinkering next week, fortunately in the new versions of grafana you can easily copy charts from one page to another, so if you wanted to combine certain elements on one page, that’s easy enough.

Off topic, but the vampire drain still bugs me quite a lot. It’s quite apparent in these low mileage months.
My battery use of 29% represents vampire drain over 33 days, and 21 very short drives totalling 37 miles. My M3 loses about 1% every two to three days when it just sits there.

I suppose it’s just a drawback of the way Tesla does things, in that the car is always on standby waiting for you to hop in. Both of my previous EVs had a power button, so no vampire drain at all really, and that’s the way everybody else seems to do it so far. But everyone else uses legacy door lock systems etc, while Tesla chooses to have everything computer controlled. And when you press the power button on those cars there was a wait of around 15 seconds while the car booted up.

Having experienced both, I think the vampire drain is a small price to pay for all the advantages of the way Tesla does things. That said, I certainly wouldn’t complain if they could reduce the power use on standby and with sentry mode.