Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Docker on windows is a PITA because it won't work unless you log onto the machine, so it's not really useful for services.. it's more for development. I suspect MS will come up with a native version eventually.. it's all built on WSL right now.
Yes and no. If you use Docker Desktop this work fine with W10/11 with WSL2 and run on background. Server environment this is not working out of box but possible to do.

Related on that MS way to force this MS account, they have drop that of. You need once accept those and then it's gone.

Mostly we wanted the dumb IOT devices on a separate network. Both network ports on the NAS are now in use, so we couldn't add a third for TeslaMate. I guess we'll just add TeslaMate to the IOT network.
Teslamate isn't a dumb insecure IoT device though. Your NAS is the network stack, and the Teslamate service just make outbound connections to Telsa's API service, mapping updates, and a call home to check for updates.

Personally I'd be more worried about a compromised IoT device being able to easily hop over to your Teslamate server instance on the same IoT VLAN and then making API calls to your vehicle. I'd put TM on your internal secured network which I'd hope is firewalled from the IoT network.

Teslamate isn't a dumb insecure IoT device though. Your NAS is the network stack, and the Teslamate service just make outbound connections to Telsa's API service, mapping updates, and a call home to check for updates.

Personally I'd be more worried about a compromised IoT device being able to easily hop over to your Teslamate server instance on the same IoT VLAN and then making API calls to your vehicle. I'd put TM on your internal secured network which I'd hope is firewalled from the IoT network.

I think my son was thinking like you, he did not put TeslaMate on our IoT network. He put it on the VLAN we use for our outdoor wired security cameras. The security cameras are also managed by an app on the NAS.

Yes, the VLANs are blocked from our trusted network. The trusted network can see the VLANs, but the VLANs can not see the trusted network.

After a little use I'd say TeslaMate is a bit slower displaying the dashboards than when it was on the NUC. Still quite useable though.

Reactions: MrT3
I am having problems with my TESLAMATE installation. The first time I loaded it, I was getting all sorts of permission (SD card failure?) and lost file errors. Built the system from scratch (new SD card) and now I am unable to get to the TESLAMATE web page.
- Reflashed the system
- Reinstall Apache
- Followed the instructions to load DOCKER.
- Ran the yml file to create the environment.
docker "run hello-world" runs successfully.
If I open the WEB to IP I get the Apache2 default page OK
If I open the WEB to IP:3000 I get the Grafana page OK
If I open the WEB to IP:4000 I get "This site can't be reached (IP refused connection)"

I am willing to rebuild again but not knowing what I did incorrectly I am reasonably sure I'll get the same failure.

Suggestions?

• Informative
Reactions: JonMu
Page 17 of this very thread mentions something similar. One issue was caused by the disk being full and the other by using Chromium as a browser.

Link here:

Edit: 3rd post on that page

I am having problems with my TESLAMATE installation. The first time I loaded it, I was getting all sorts of permission (SD card failure?) and lost file errors. Built the system from scratch (new SD card) and now I am unable to get to the TESLAMATE web page.
- Reflashed the system
- Reinstall Apache
- Followed the instructions to load DOCKER.
- Ran the yml file to create the environment.
docker "run hello-world" runs successfully.
If I open the WEB to IP I get the Apache2 default page OK
If I open the WEB to IP:3000 I get the Grafana page OK
If I open the WEB to IP:4000 I get "This site can't be reached (IP refused connection)"

I am willing to rebuild again but not knowing what I did incorrectly I am reasonably sure I'll get the same failure.

Suggestions?
Whoops. Forgot to mention that the system is a Pi 4 with the latest Raspbian with 3GB of free memory.

Memory and disk space are two different things. The link I added talked about issues similar to yours when they ran out of disk space. Memory isn't mentioned at all. Meminfo is irrelevant here.
Are you saying you have a 32GB disk (sd card) with only the OS and you only have 3GB free? That doesn't seem right. What does df -h show?

Memory and disk space are two different things. The link I added talked about issues similar to yours when they ran out of disk space. Memory isn't mentioned at all. Meminfo is irrelevant here.
Are you saying you have a 32GB disk (sd card) with only the OS and you only have 3GB free? That doesn't seem right. What does df -h show?
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 30G 11G 18G 39% /
devtmpfs 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.9G 9.8M 1.9G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1.9G 113M 1.8G 6% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 253M 49M 204M 20% /boot
tmpfs 384M 4.0K 384M 1% /run/user/1000
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 30G 11G 18G 39% /
devtmpfs 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.9G 9.8M 1.9G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1.9G 113M 1.8G 6% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 253M 49M 204M 20% /boot
tmpfs 384M 4.0K 384M 1% /run/user/1000
pi@raspberrypi:~ $
Ok, no disk issues then.

What instructions are you using to setup Teslamate? Worth checking the config files to make sure they are ok. Anything in the docker logs to suggest an error?

Ok, no disk issues then.

What instructions are you using to setup Teslamate? Worth checking the config files to make sure they are ok. Anything in the docker logs to suggest an error?
I installed based on the instructions from the Teslamate (Docker install | TeslaMate) instructions and yml file. Where are the Teslamate or Docker log files located? I was unable to find any files with teslamate in their name and no obvious docker files. One docker.conf & docker-ce.conf but I am not sure what I should be looking for. I did this install in the pi directory. If I do it again should it be in a sub directory (seems like a better choice for organizational purposes). Should I start over, reformat and try it from scratch?

I installed based on the instructions from the Teslamate (Docker install | TeslaMate) instructions and yml file. Where are the Teslamate or Docker log files located? I was unable to find any files with teslamate in their name and no obvious docker files. One docker.conf & docker-ce.conf but I am not sure what I should be looking for. I did this install in the pi directory. If I do it again should it be in a sub directory (seems like a better choice for organizational purposes). Should I start over, reformat and try it from scratch?
to check if your containers are running ok and the correct ports are "published" check the output of "docker container ls" your configuration is the bascially the docker-compose.yml and .env (and if you're doing the apache setup - /etc/apache2/sites-available/teslamate.conf) files you'll have created as part of the setup instructions

I'm having exactly the same problems, with a hardware set up which previously worked fine. I reinstalled from scratch after a failed update. It seems that the problem is that the "teslamate" database is not being created. I've been trying to solve this all day, with no success.

Can someone please check the latest .yml file in the link above against their own version, to see if there is something missing or wrongly set?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JonMu
I'm having exactly the same problems, with a hardware set up which previously worked fine. I reinstalled from scratch after a failed update. It seems that the problem is that the "teslamate" database is not being created. I've been trying to solve this all day, with no success.

Can someone please check the latest .yml file in the link above against their own version, to see if there is something missing or wrongly set?

Thanks
doesn't look like the docs have been updated in a while, so should be the same

check the output of "docker-compose logs teslamate"