Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I have finally received my Model 3, I can now use the Teslamate set up I did back in October. Everything works as expected but I'm not sure the backups to Google Drive are working. When I first set up the backups the folders appeared in Google Drive each day, but they never show a modified date, just the original date they were created back in October. Is something wrong? Should the modified date be set to the day any new backups were added?
The dates should update, so something is wrong, perhaps you have an ID/credentials issue for your Google drive connection? Is your cron job still running? Here's mine as an example (I followed @DaveW's guide which worked great, just added a zip final stage to keep file sizes down).

1640082102141.png

Reactions: jonpho and DaveW
View attachment 746484
So this weekend drive one of my addresses turned into this garbage. The start/stop became some extremely long string which is making it very difficult to view overall drives. Is there any way to "correct" the names so I can get a more viewable platform?
If you click on the name you should be able to change the geofence to something more sensible.

The dates should update, so something is wrong, perhaps you have an ID/credentials issue for your Google drive connection? Is your cron job still running? Here's mine as an example (I followed @DaveW's guide which worked great, just added a zip final stage to keep file sizes down).
Thanks, I'll have a look see if i can find out what the issue is. The backup files on the Raspberry Pi look up to date, so at least that narrows it down

I have a spare RPi 3 that I’m planning to run Teslamate on for when I get my M3LR tomorrow. Is it worth setting Teslamate up today or should I wait until I have the car?
Yes - it will start logging as soon as the car is added to your account.

You'll need to get the tokens which you can still do without the car, there are several ways to get those, just use a site or app you think you can trust to geenrate it for you as you are effectively giving them your car keys.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Hello all

Sorry if this has been asked before. Trawling though 90+ pages of thread isn't for me.

I followed these instructions to set up TeslaMate on a RPI4 (8GB with 128GB M2 SSD) running ubuntu-mate:

I've got the localhost:4000 login page up in a browser.
I have no tokens (whatever they are) and will absolutely not use a 3rd party web site to generate one, so I am trying the tesla_auth.exe (Windows) but it crashes immediately. The Linux tesla_auth executable is not for ARM processors (it's probably x86) so I can't run that, and I have no Mac. I do not see any source files with a makefile to build a copy for ARM in the repository.
When I attempt to login with my (I assume Tesla account) email / password credentials, it fails to authenticate, like I had the password wrong (only, I didn't!).

So how do I get it working?

Hello all

Sorry if this has been asked before. Trawling though 90+ pages of thread isn't for me.

I followed these instructions to set up TeslaMate on a RPI4 (8GB with 128GB M2 SSD) running ubuntu-mate:

I have no tokens (whatever they are) and will absolutely not use a 3rd party web site to generate one, so I am trying the tesla_auth.exe (Windows) but it crashes immediately. The Linux tesla_auth executable is not for ARM processors (it's probably x86) so I can't run that, and I have no Mac. I do not see any source files with a makefile to build a copy for ARM in the repository.
When I attempt to login with my (I assume Tesla account) email / password credentials, it fails to authenticate, like I had the password wrong (only, I didn't!).

I used this site, but not sure whether you'd find it suitable.

Hello all

If you have an iPhone or iPad there is an iOS app to generate authentication tokens - Auth for Tesla. It's by the guy who does the the Watch App for Tesla so about as "trusted" as you can get for a 3rd party app. Don't think there is any other way than getting the tokens generated using a third party app or site due to the way Tesla do the authentication these days.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Nope, I'm not using a 3rd party web site of unknown origin to generate text keys.

@Kietrax, sorry your message came in as I was posting mine. I suppose an app is better than a random web site but read on...

In the end I ran tesla_auth on an x86 Linux box and generated a pair of tokens (that's why I know they are plain text strings). Popped those into the login page on my RPI4 and it appears to have authenticated. So far, so good!

However I see no data at all, even after refreshing each of the dashboards. Am I missing something?

Nope, I'm not using a 3rd party web site of unknown origin to generate text keys.

@Kietrax, sorry your message came in as I was posting mine. I suppose an app is better than a random web site but read on...

In the end I ran tesla_auth on an x86 Linux box and generated a pair of tokens (that's why I know they are plain text strings). Popped those into the login page on my RPI4 and it appears to have authenticated. So far, so good!

However I see no data at all, even after refreshing each of the dashboards. Am I missing something?
No worries - agreed on not using a web site as you have no idea if anyone stored the keys in-between. That said, if you are being really paranoid, the same is true of an app or even tesla_auth really though unless you have the source code to check - as I understand it, all the programs that do this have to connect to the internet, log in to the Tesla site then capture the tokens that this generates. There is no guarantee those tokens aren't also sent somewhere else.

As for the no data - could be your car is asleep so just hasn't sent anything yet? Wake it up from the app or go for a little drive, that should kick the streaming interface into action and you should start to see data appear then.

Ah I wondered if it was not historic. So, how often should it be set to refresh to catch everything? And does it wake the car up every time it polls for new data?
As long as you set it to use the streaming interface it'll capture everything the car sends to Tesla. No polling, it just gets what the car sends - so nothing while it's asleep but as soon as you wake the car from the app you should see current stats like internal temperature etc. then when you drive it tracks position, battery and lots of other stuff.

I am not sure if this is the right thread (90 pages - phew!). I have been running TM (TeslaMate) for a while, and I finally go around to posting instructions on how to get this up and running on Azure in a Ubuntu VM. This has been one of the instances how I have ran it for some time now and I wanted to share it back with the community in case anyone wasn't comfortable and wanted to see all the steps and details. Sorry its a long post.

More here if anyone is interested: