Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll need to sign into Grafana to create or edit dashboards. If using the default configuration then go to port 3000 on your domain and then bottom left of the Grafana page you'll see the sign in. Default username and password unless you've changed them will be admin/admin.

You'll then get the icons displayed to add dashboards or edit existing dashboards. As long as you create the dashboard under the teslamate group then it'll appear along side others.

If first time trying this then you might want to go to an existing teslamate Grafana dashboard, then look in the top navigation bar for the dashboard settings, from there you can do a 'Save As'. That will effectively clone an existing dashboard and place it in the teslamate group, you can then try modifying that to see how Grafana works. Also plenty of documentation on the Grafana site.

Thanks very much for your response. I have already logged in as admin in Grafana and have created a new dashboard and have it set up as the default dashboard when i use the mydomain:3000 page. It also shows up under my list of dashboards in grafana. The issue I'm having is that this new dashboard doesnt show up under the 'dashboards' menu in the main Teslamate page @mydomain:4000:

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.44 AM.png

That list only shows the original list of dashboards. Is there a way to update this main list to have my new grafana dashboard?

Thanks very much for your response. I have already logged in as admin in Grafana and have created a new dashboard and have it set up as the default dashboard when i use the mydomain:3000 page. It also shows up under my list of dashboards in grafana. The issue I'm having is that this new dashboard doesnt show up under the 'dashboards' menu in the main Teslamate page @mydomain:4000:

View attachment 565060

That list only shows the original list of dashboards. Is there a way to update this main list to have my new grafana dashboard?

Not sure on this one, I thought it was down to tags, but I've added the same tesla tag to one of mine and it hasn't shown up in there.

View attachment 565060

Understand where you mean now, I rarely access via the TeslaMate web app on port 4000. I tend to go straight to Grafana on port 3000.

Not sure on this one, I thought it was down to tags, but I've added the same tesla tag to one of mine and it hasn't shown up in there.

AFAIK applying the 'tesla' tag to a dashboard only affects it appearing in the TeslaMate Dashboards pull-down link in the native Grafana dashboard view:
upload_2020-7-16_13-35-46.png

From a brief trawl through the source code, I can see several places where the list of dashboards is queried and utilised. Several of these are only really related to backup and restore of dashboard JSON files and also the initial provisioning of the application.

I'm not familiar with Elixir, the language TeslaMate is written in, but I can see it is compiled and built into a binary application. Wouldn't expect the dashboard menu options to be baked in at the time the application is built and deployed but an outside chance that this is the case. I'm sure someone will know more than I do on this without me spending time delving into it.

That warning comes up for everyone, but mines been running fine for a while now.

I think from running mine on a Pi first it uses less than 400mb RAM, so it’s likely just got close to the limit once to trigger the suggestion to upgrade.

The swap file is growing very slowly too, so I don’t think it’s all that memory hungry :)

Well, I have a quite reliable power source for my servers and run a few other things there.
I migrated back this afternoon.
Just don't want the additional concern of whether or not Google will decide to halt the machine for overuse or some such.
Plus, though I added my SSH key and have access to the console and SFTP, it is another machine to patch/update.

If I had no other machine to run on, I'd be more amenable to running on GCP.
I don't have lots of faith in an SD card so likely wouldn't run a Pi, though they are rumored to be adding NVMe capability 'soon'.

Since I do have the servers, it was an easy matter to bang my instance onto one, update my SSL cert, restore the GCP data.

Thanks for the auto backup to the cloud, makes me feel better having the data offsite.

Reactions: DaveW
The challenge here is how would teslamate know when your overall charging session is meant to start and end? You'd have to build some assumptions into the logic that is being used to generate the dashboard results.

You could imagine modifying the queries used in Grafana to select charging records based on criteria such as time proximity to other charge records, e.g. assume the same charge session if a charge record has a charge start time which is within X minutes another charge record end time. I use Octopus Agile in the UK and I can think of scenarios where there may be several hours between charging blocks but it's still really the same charging session.

Other approach would be always aggregating charge records which fall within a fixed charging time window, e.g. 22:00 - 08:00, or perhaps combining time proximity and time-window approaches.

Thank you. All charges occur during the night, i.e. period between 23h and 6h next morning. So, for me, aggregating on the basis of a fixed time window would seem the easiest option. When I have time, I'll educate myself on Grafana to see how to implement this...

Reactions: NickName
Had another instance today where TeslaMate hasn’t recorded a software update, got a pointless update today (want 28.2 to fix charging, got 24.6.9), no sign of the update on the status and still shows as the previous version in TM at the moment.

Had another instance today where TeslaMate hasn’t recorded a software update, got a pointless update today (want 28.2 to fix charging, got 24.6.9), no sign of the update on the status and still shows as the previous version in TM at the moment.

First...many, many thanks @DaveW , for the great HowTo setup TeslaMate on (free) Gcloud!!!
Just finished setting it up last night after a couple of read throughs in the past week to make sense of it all...and it worked almost the first time around!
I just needed to get my head around how the sub-domains would map to the ports...via the reverse-proxy, it eventually sank in.

I had been running Teslamate from my Windows desktop/Mac laptop (different periods) since last September and had a couple of outages throughout so moving to the cloud was quite appealing. Using Adrian's (@addison) documentation, I then migrated all of my data into the GCloud instance and upgrade my Postgres from 11 to 12 while at it!
All in one sitting session...quite impressed with all these guides.

@DaveW ,
As for firmware recording, you're unlukcky...mine has recorded 17 since September (over 2 cars) and it actually recorded some that I forgot to track!
(yeah, I was tracking those manually before Teslamate on ev-fw.com tracker website...and continued to do so since Teslamate doesn't have 4 years history & 'notes' for these updates)
...but there was a related bug..fixed in 1.19.3.
I would expect you're already running it but you can have a look if you haven't already:
Correct firmware showing in Teslamate, but not in Grafana · Issue #648 · adriankumpf/teslamate

I've been using Teslamate with my Model 3 for the past 9 months, but I'm selling it tomorrow. I'm hoping that I will still be able to see the Teslamate data after the car is removed from my Tesla account...will that be the case?

Also, I should be getting a new Model Y within the next few weeks. If my Model 3 data is still accessible, is there anything special that I need to do to add it to Teslamate as a 2nd vehicle?

-Stach

I've been using Teslamate with my Model 3 for the past 9 months, but I'm selling it tomorrow. I'm hoping that I will still be able to see the Teslamate data after the car is removed from my Tesla account...will that be the case?

Also, I should be getting a new Model Y within the next few weeks. If my Model 3 data is still accessible, is there anything special that I need to do to add it to Teslamate as a 2nd vehicle?

-Stach

Your history data will remain accessible within the displays and will continue to upload until Tesla removes the car from your account (you can do this yourself if you wish)
Teslamate fully copes with multiple cars keeping the data separate.

First...many, many thanks @DaveW , for the great HowTo setup TeslaMate on (free) Gcloud!!!
Just finished setting it up last night after a couple of read throughs in the past week to make sense of it all...and it worked almost the first time around!
I just needed to get my head around how the sub-domains would map to the ports...via the reverse-proxy, it eventually sank in.

I had been running Teslamate from my Windows desktop/Mac laptop (different periods) since last September and had a couple of outages throughout so moving to the cloud was quite appealing. Using Adrian's (@addison) documentation, I then migrated all of my data into the GCloud instance and upgrade my Postgres from 11 to 12 while at it!
All in one sitting session...quite impressed with all these guides.

@DaveW ,
As for firmware recording, you're unlukcky...mine has recorded 17 since September (over 2 cars) and it actually recorded some that I forgot to track!
(yeah, I was tracking those manually before Teslamate on ev-fw.com tracker website...and continued to do so since Teslamate doesn't have 4 years history & 'notes' for these updates)
...but there was a related bug..fixed in 1.19.3.
I would expect you're already running it but you can have a look if you haven't already:
Correct firmware showing in Teslamate, but not in Grafana · Issue #648 · adriankumpf/teslamate

Glad it all worked for you :)

Updates seem to be mainly tracking OK, not sure why the odd one doesn’t, I’m up to date on the versions etc..

Not the end of the world.

There’s the automated backup guide if that’s of use, also guides for importing superchargers / destination chargers too :)

Reactions: Roadrunner13