Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does. But the data is streamed in real time. Teslamate - and all the other apps - tap into this stream and download the data. While the data may well be stored by Tesla - no doubt for nefarious purposes ;) - that data isn't exposed via the API so isn't accessible after the fact.
I guess I still don't understand how this works. I assume the car is streaming data to Tesla. What streams the data to my server sitting on my home network? The car? The Tesla server?

Nope. It's in the drive details dashboard. Click on a drive and you should see it:
I'm embarrassed to say I had never clicked on one of those links. What a wealth of information! I'll have to dig around more.

I looked, in Dashboard Settings and elsewhere, could not find a way to change bar to PSI. Also, see below...my recent drive does not seem to have any data.

Thanks for your help...it's appreciated!

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 6.59.12 AM.png

I'm embarrassed to say I had never clicked on one of those links. What a wealth of information! I'll have to dig around more.

I looked, in Dashboard Settings and elsewhere, could not find a way to change bar to PSI. Also, see below...my recent drive does not seem to have any data.

View attachment 832511
In grafana query, you can use the Math field and convert the values manually from bar to psi

View attachment 832511
It's in the settings page of Teslamate - not grafana. When was your drive? Was it before you upgraded to latest version?

Reactions: cwanja
I guess I still don't understand how this works. I assume the car is streaming data to Tesla. What streams the data to my server sitting on my home network? The car? The Tesla server?
Here's my simplistic diagram of how it works. The key part is that Tesla's servers stream the data in real-time via the API. If you can access the API, like the Tesla app does, then you can access the stream. Teslamate connects to the API and gets access to the stream, The API has no method to request historic data.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 12.50.34.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 12.50.34.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 143
Here's my simplistic diagram of how it works. The key part is that Tesla's servers stream the data in real-time via the API. If you can access the API, like the Tesla app does, then you can access the stream. Teslamate connects to the API and gets access to the stream, The API has no method to request historic data.
Nice chart! Thanks.

I'm guessing the Tesla app, and Teslamate, query the streaming API at launch time? Doesn't seem practical to be doing it continuously 24x7. Battery life on a smartphone would surely suffer.

Nice chart! Thanks.

I'm guessing the Tesla app, and Teslamate, query the streaming API at launch time? Doesn't seem practical to be doing it continuously 24x7. Battery life on a smartphone would surely suffer.
The Tesla app will only query when the app is running.
Teslamate monitors it all the time via a combination of polling and streaming, but usually isn't run on a battery operated device.

Hey all, - really sorry to bug you considering this is probably elementary. I just updated TeslaMate to the latest version, and keep getting the encryption key warning. I'm not sure of two things:

1.) How to even get an encryption key.
2.) How to insert it correctly.

I assume that if I get 1.), I just need to edit my docker-compose.yml and just add the line there? It's a Mac running Docker/TeslaMate.

Any help appreciated!
First, backup your data.

Send the TeslaMate logs to a text file by running this in the directory with your YML file
Code:
docker-compose logs teslamate > logs.txt
Open that text file with your preferred editor. At the top of that log file, will sit a block of text and instructions talking about encryption. Just copy out the key and edit your YML file following the instructions. Then restart your containers and the warning should go away.

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG
First, backup your data.

Send the TeslaMate logs to a text file by running this in the directory with your YML file
Code:
docker-compose logs teslamate > logs.txt
Open that text file with your preferred editor. At the top of that log file, will sit a block of text and instructions talking about encryption. Just copy out the key and edit your YML file following the instructions. Then restart your containers and the warning should go away.
Hah you were replying after my edit, but I still thank you, sir. I edited my post above after I figured out exactly that with the logs. All working now, and thank you again!

• Love
Reactions: cwanja
Hi All,

I'm hoping that some can help me diagnose why my backups aren't syncing to google drive.

I had this working back in 2021 before I stopped using teslamate for a long while. I've restored an old backup and have teslamate all up and running again, hooray.

I've used these instruction: How to perform an automated TeslaMate backup to Google Drive - TeslaEV.co.uk which I'm sure many of you are familiar with.

I've set up rclone and I am able to access, mkdir etc. in my google drive - I see the 'TeslaMate' folder there no problem. Weirdly, the first time I tested this, a backup file copied across OK but I simply haven't been able to do it again!

when I run `./tmbackup.sh`, I don't seem to ever get access to the terminal back. I've waited 2.5 hours at the longest.

If I do use ctrl + C to end the script, I can see using `ls-a` that a large backup file has been created, it just doesn't seem to get copied by rclone.

I've tried to editing and removing/adding the rclone remote. Still no luck though. Is there a way to get logs?

edit: this is my tmbacup.sh:

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin now=`date +"%A"` cd /home/lex/tmbackup sudo /usr/local/bin/docker-compose exec -T database pg_dump -U teslamate teslamate > /home/lex/tmbackup/teslamate.bck_$>rclone copy --max-age 24h /home/lex/tmbackup --include 'teslamate.*' gdrive:TeslaMate

Looking at the tyre pressures - I've got exactly 42.1 psi recorded for all 4 tyres for the entire length of a 1 hr journey and a few other shorter drives.

So obviously something is wrong with how this works.

Mine seems to work fine, changing multiple times over a 30-minute drive. I'm on 2022.20.7.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.33.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.33.53 PM.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 93
Hmm... did TeslaMate remove the functionality where you could see where/which road you hit what speed/car was at what temperature etc? I used to be able to mouse over the drive stats, and it would show me a blue dot on the map where X happened. This seems to be gone now. :(