Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're not making this easy for someone to help you. Got a link?

Share your yml file. Do you have any firewalls on the synology?
I disabled the firewall

I was following the above guide.

However I guess the container doesn’t know how to go to nameserver or the internet for some reason.

The docker-compose file I obtained from:

I basically copied the whole thing except I edited the password and encryption key

I disabled the firewall

However I guess the container doesn’t know how to go to nameserver or the internet for some reason.

I basically copied the whole thing except I edited the password and encryption key
Did you add the VIRTUAL_HOST line as per step 3 of the instructions?

Thanks a lot for trying to help. Whenever I try to make it run on the same host address it would fail, alternatively it would not run with ability to connect to internet.

Maybe I better use a raspberry pi? Do you have any good guide to set up yours?

Thanks a lot for your help
I helped another user get their Synology box work on the local network so we should be able to get there.

Just to confirm when you're putting in the token that you're doing it on your local network and not for example via your mobile data network? IIRC when I did it I copied the keys to the notes app and then accessed them from my mac to input on Safari. I find it easier to do these things on a mac than on a phone :)

Can you also upload your YML file (minus the secret stuff) or even DM it to me? I| know you say its the same as the one that's linked but it's easy to mistype and it can be hard to spot errors.

Just do the opposite of step 15 in the instructions, but use cp instead of mv

I have Teslamate on Vulrt. Upgraded to Teslamate 1.27 yesterday and now getting the "No encryption key provided" warning box on the home page. To the docker-compose.yml file I added:

- ENCRYPTION_KEY=${TM_ENCRYPTION_KEY}

It appears I need to add the Encryption Key to the .env file for docker-compose.yml to read. Using AuthforTesla via the terminal I run:

./tesla_auth -d --owner-api-token

The first time I did this the app connected to Tesla, however the entry boxes for name/pw were sluggish. It took a while to get them to be available to enter text. Eventually my name/pw were accepted and I was passed to the auth page. I entered the code from Authy, but it failed. Now when I run the above command I get:

An error occured. Please try again ...​

HTTP status client error (401 Unauthorized) for url (https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token)

If you go to https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token this page page comes 404 with:

The page you were looking for doesn't exist.​

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

Am I not understanding something about generating an ENCRYPTION_KEY or has Tesla changed something?

Am I not understanding something about generating an ENCRYPTION_KEY or has Tesla changed something?
It’s not a Tesla thing as far as I can tell. It seems when you give TM your API keys it encrypts them with this new key - but it doesn’t give details of what it expects - some text, hex of a certain length etc.

I’ll hopefully get some time to upgrade my instance today so will let you know how I get on.

Reactions: miles267
I have Teslamate on Vulrt. Upgraded to Teslamate 1.27 yesterday and now getting the "No encryption key provided" warning box on the home page. To the docker-compose.yml file I added:

- ENCRYPTION_KEY=${TM_ENCRYPTION_KEY}

It appears I need to add the Encryption Key to the .env file for docker-compose.yml to read. Using AuthforTesla via the terminal I run:

./tesla_auth -d --owner-api-token

The first time I did this the app connected to Tesla, however the entry boxes for name/pw were sluggish. It took a while to get them to be available to enter text. Eventually my name/pw were accepted and I was passed to the auth page. I entered the code from Authy, but it failed. Now when I run the above command I get:

An error occured. Please try again ...​

HTTP status client error (401 Unauthorized) for url (https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token)

If you go to https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token this page page comes 404 with:

The page you were looking for doesn't exist.​

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

That change was in the release notes. The resolution is described as being in the logs

I disabled the firewall

I run on a synology, have been doing so for 3 years. I never followed that guide, but this:

With the docker-compose.yml in its own directory where I run the docker-compose pull and up -d from
No hacking around in the other directories with sudo -i - that seems to be a legacy from tesalogger, I start with sudo su, create the .yml, pull then up -d

That change was in the release notes. The resolution is described as being in the logs
Sorry, I didn't add that information to my original post. I found that string in the logs and added it to the .env file.

I must have had some things out of sync. I ran docker-compose up -d and even restarted my server, but possibly didn't run the docker-compose up -d command with the correct encrypt string in place. Finally got it to work.

Reactions: goRt and MrT3
Sorry, I didn't add that information to my original post. I found that string in the logs and added it to the .env file.

I must have had some things out of sync. I ran docker-compose up -d and even restarted my server, but possibly didn't run the docker-compose up -d command with the correct encrypt string in place. Finally got it to work.

How did you get it sorted? I've been running TM 1.26.1 without issue. Today I saw TM 1.27 available. I followed the usual steps to update to TM 1.27 by executing the following two lines.

docker-compose pull
docker-compose up -d

Now, upon looking in my Teslamate web UI, I see this:

No encryption key provided

To ensure that your Tesla API tokens are stored securely, an encryption key must be provided to TeslaMate via the ENCRYPTION_KEY environment variable. Otherwise, a login will be required after every restart.

How did you get it sorted? I've been running TM 1.26.1 without issue. Today I saw TM 1.27 available. I followed the usual steps to update to TM 1.27 by executing the following two lines.

docker-compose pull
docker-compose up -d

Now, upon looking in my Teslamate web UI, I see this:

No encryption key provided

To ensure that your Tesla API tokens are stored securely, an encryption key must be provided to TeslaMate via the ENCRYPTION_KEY environment variable. Otherwise, a login will be required after every restart.
You can either get the autogenerated encryption key from the logs and place it into your YML file or insert your own encryption key into the YML file. Follow the instructions on the web UI banner you see.

You can either get the autogenerated encryption key from the logs and place it into your YML file or insert your own encryption key into the YML file. Follow the instructions on the web UI banner you see.
Thank you. I captured the temp Encryption_Key from the Teslamate log and inserted into my docker-compose.yml and re-ran the 2 lines above. It seems to have corrected the issue.

Reactions: cwanja
I wish they had provided a little more clarity on why they made that change. I feel like blindly putting the encryption_key in the yaml may not actually be any better than the situation that they were mitigating.
Discussed here: