Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Discussed here:

Oh, I see. I was trying to imagine a way that this could be used with cloud services to prevent accidentally leaking the key and really couldn't figure it out.

Instead, this is to prevent Grafana from leaking the key via its access to the database. That makes more sense, and I can see where that would be useful for the case where grafana was accidentally exposed.

Reactions: init6
Does that mean using Teslamate is dangerous?

In a sense, yes. If you host it on a shared hosting service and let other people access it (eg, via weak passwords), it is pretty dangerous. But that is true in a pretty general sense too. Its no more dangerous than any other similar software would be if used without some caution.

Put another way, are cars dangerous? Is AutoPilot dangerous? Yes, in both cases, if some caution isn't taken.

Reactions: cwanja
In a sense, yes. If you host it on a shared hosting service and let other people access it (eg, via weak passwords), it is pretty dangerous. But that is true in a pretty general sense too. Its no more dangerous than any other similar software would be if used without some caution.

Put another way, are cars dangerous? Is AutoPilot dangerous? Yes, in both cases, if some caution isn't taken.
Put it in another way, does that mean it would actually be better to run it on a local machine (such as pi or a NAS) without exposing the interface to the internet (hopefully)

Reactions: jsight
Put it in another way, does that mean it would actually be better to run it on a local machine (such as pi or a NAS) without exposing the interface to the internet (hopefully)

If you don't expose the interface to the internet then it's safer than if you do. Theoretically someone could bypass your NAS firewall, but these things tend to be reasonably secure and updated often enough to be more difficult to hack. The big issue with the above case was people were putting Teslamate on the internet with no security and had it using default passwords. These are the people that need coffee cups to remind them the contents may be hot. :)

Reactions: cwanja and jsight

I run it locally for that reason. I wouldn't say that its inherently unsafe to do otherwise, though, its just an additional security aspect to keep track of and maintain.

Reactions: cwanja and init6
Hi folks, I am new at this thread and teslamate. Though the car hasn't arrived yet but gathering knowledge about it. I got couple of questions regarding it -

* How much extra battery drain do you guys see for using teslamate? Is the battery loss negligible or thats something should keep in mind?
* Anyone uses teslamate with home assistant? What type of automation you use if yes? I am thinking about creating some geo based automation for safety. Please share any experience on it.

Cheers

Hi folks, I am new at this thread and teslamate. Though the car hasn't arrived yet but gathering knowledge about it. I got couple of questions regarding it -

* How much extra battery drain do you guys see for using teslamate? Is the battery loss negligible or thats something should keep in mind?
* Anyone uses teslamate with home assistant? What type of automation you use if yes? I am thinking about creating some geo based automation for safety. Please share any experience on it.

Cheers
I use Tesla mate because its battery drain is negligible, especially compared to some others that I've used in the past. It is great about getting accurate data without waking the car.

Everything can be fed to home assistant in real time via mqtt. I use it to control my garage door opener at the moment.

Cheers

Reactions: cwanja
> How much extra battery drain do you guys see for using teslamate?

If you enable ‘streaming API‘ in the settings, teslamate just monitors data being generated and reported by the car to the Tesla cloud. It won’t put any additional load/activity on the car itself.
That's the default setting these days so there won't be any additional drain at all with a standard Teslamate install.

Hi all, I'm expecting my Model 3 LR in the next four weeks and have got in early to try and set up TeslaMate on my QNAP via Docker. It's up and running however I'm not sure if I should be seeing more than I am, especially as I don't even have the car yet :)
I went ahead and used the Auth for Tesla app to generate the Access and Refresh tokens and have this 'blankish' screen

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 3.13.51 pm.jpg

and the settings screen shows

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 3.14.02 pm.jpg

Should I be seeing anything else at this stage or is there something I should do in Grafana? I'm assuming that TeslaMate has picked up the vehicle API key via the Access tokens?

Thanks in advance,

Cam

Hi all, I'm expecting my Model 3 LR in the next four weeks and have got in early to try and set up TeslaMate on my QNAP via Docker. It's up and running however I'm not sure if I should be seeing more than I am, especially as I don't even have the car yet :)
I went ahead and used the Auth for Tesla app to generate the Access and Refresh tokens and have this 'blankish' screen

View attachment 832151

and the settings screen shows

View attachment 832152

Should I be seeing anything else at this stage or is there something I should do in Grafana? I'm assuming that TeslaMate has picked up the vehicle API key via the Access tokens?

Thanks in advance,

Cam
You won't see anything until Tesla has added the actual car to you account at delivery handover

Reactions: init6
This morning I updated to Teslamate 1.27.1 and got an error about needing a new encryption key. In trying to insert the new encryption key I managed to break my Teslamate install. After a little work, Teslamate was back running again and I didn't lose any data.

I run Teslamate in a docker container on a Synology NAS. The only backup was from four months ago, so I was very happy that I didn't have to restore the old backup. In the process we discovered that the Synology VM manager has a nice automated way to backup, so that's in place now.

I have two questions:

If one does lose data I wish there was a way to tell Teslamate to re-download data from a specific date. Is this possible?

I saw a mention of tire pressures in a dashboard...but I don't see that in my dashboards. Does one have to create a custom dashboard?