Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean besides the Google cloud that is free?
Most public cloud providers offer a free tier over a free period for a specific amount of time for specific instances (Azure it's 30 days, AWS it's 12 months for VMs iirc). Google Cloud (GCP) offer a free VM in US regions only. You get charged on GCP if you want to run a VM in the UK or anywhere else, so if you are concerned about your data being hosted outside the country where you are you may want to consider an alternative. There's no specific right or wrong, it just comes down to personal choice.

Reactions: Dave EV
Because you're responsible for the security of the VM and therefore access to your data and even your car. If you were unaware of Google cloud then you're likely not best placed to manage the VM. It's also very easy to misconfigure the server such that you run up a big bill. Again lack of knowledge of Google Cloud would be a disadvantage.

I wanted some more granular fuel savings data in my Grafana. Made a little dashboard with monthly stats for:

Distance Driven
Average Petrol Price per Litre
Charging Cost Total
Fuel Equivalent
Fuel Savings
Cost Per Mile (EV) vs Cost Per Mile (ICE)

It took a bit of setup including an additional table in the database to store the fuel cost data, which the government kindly provides in excel format: Monthly and annual prices of road fuels and petroleum products - GOV.UK

1662577496780.png

If anyone wants the JSON file for these panels I can upload it. You need to add a new table in your DB with the fuel prices.

I wanted some more granular fuel savings data in my Grafana. Made a little dashboard with monthly stats for:

Distance Driven
Average Petrol Price per Litre
Charging Cost Total
Fuel Equivalent
Fuel Savings
Cost Per Mile (EV) vs Cost Per Mile (ICE)

It took a bit of setup including an additional table in the database to store the fuel cost data, which the government kindly provides in excel format: Monthly and annual prices of road fuels and petroleum products - GOV.UK

View attachment 849990

If anyone wants the JSON file for these panels I can upload it. You need to add a new table in your DB with the fuel prices.
Hey can you please share the json & the db schema you used for the dashboard? This really looks very cool!

Reactions: Kingrippler
Grafana newbie.
I have modified an existing panel and saved it as "Projected Range". I wish to add it to the dropdown "Dashboards" navigation hamburger on the right of all the panels.
Looked through the Grafana documentation but do not know the nomenclature so difficult to know what I am looking for.
Any help would be gratefully accepted.
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 11.21.59 am.png

Grafana newbie.
I have modified an existing panel and saved it as "Projected Range". I wish to add it to the dropdown "Dashboards" navigation hamburger on the right of all the panels.
Looked through the Grafana documentation but do not know the nomenclature so difficult to know what I am looking for.
Any help would be gratefully accepted.View attachment 854958
In the dashboard settings, add the tag 'tesla'. Note the lower case t.

Hey.

I have TeslaMate set up and running on a Raspberry Pi. Grafana dashboards are working fine.

I've been trying to get TeslaMate to publish information to an MQTT broker to be picked up in NodeRed. I have a broker running already outside of docker on the RPi (which is used for my Domoticz home automation system), and I have managed to push the data there by changing the MQTT_HOST variable in the docker_compose.yaml file to my RPi IP address and disabling/commenting out the 'mosquitto' section in the yaml file. (This might not be the best approach, and might be causing the issues below; I am not sure!)

When viewing the data, however, a significant number of topics are missing. The topics that should be there are listed here:

And whilst I can get stuff like the battery_level, display_name etc, other things such as 'plugged_in' and many others are missing.

The problem may be that I just haven't got things set up right, but wondered if anyone here might have some advice? It seems odd that some of the data is coming through and not other parts...

Does anyone know the difference between offline and asleep?

I was under the impression that asleep was the car was shutdown and they send it a text messge to wake it up when they wanted to.
Offline implies there's no connectivity to the car, or it's otherwise not responding. But how would you know without talking to it that they can't get through?

I ask because Teslamate is showing mine was "offline" for 11 mins yesterday and I don't recall seeing it before. It was between 2 drives, so could it be it went into a no reception area while trying to stream drive information? I live in an areas of dodgy reception so I imagine I'd have seen it before.

Just curious.. nothing more,

Does anyone know the difference between offline and asleep?

I was under the impression that asleep was the car was shutdown and they send it a text messge to wake it up when they wanted to.
Offline implies there's no connectivity to the car, or it's otherwise not responding. But how would you know without talking to it that they can't get through?

I ask because Teslamate is showing mine was "offline" for 11 mins yesterday and I don't recall seeing it before. It was between 2 drives, so could it be it went into a no reception area while trying to stream drive information? I live in an areas of dodgy reception so I imagine I'd have seen it before.

Just curious.. nothing more,
The offline state comes from the Tesla API rather than Teslamate. Teslamate just reports the state.

Teslafi advise that offline means the car has lost connectivity to Tesla's servers although that may be an assumption on their part.

Perhaps there's a disconnection process when a car sleeps e.g. it tells the Tesla servers it's going to sleep. If it just loses the connection it may not have had that disconnection message and marks it as offline. As you say there are plenty of areas that have poor reception, so marking the car as asleep every time you lose connectivity may not be the best course of action.

Anything in the logs that look suspicious? Might be worth comparing a normal sleep with the offline event.

IIRC the last time I had this I went into the app and then came out again and it changed to sleep. (maybe online for a bit and then sleep - it was a while ago)

Reactions: cwanja