Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to Tesla with the addition of a MYLR about a month ago. I discovered teslamate yesterday.

I plan to install teslamate on my homeserver. A few questions before I start:

1. This home server goes to sleep after a period of of inactivity. Does teslamate require the home server to be on 24x7? Or is it sufficient to turn it on once a day for the MY to stream the data?
2. Can docker & teslamate be installed on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B with only 512MB DRAM? I have one of the RPI1 running my music server & pihole ad blocker. Wondering if I can add docker and teslamate

2. Can docker & teslamate be installed on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B with only 512MB DRAM? I have one of the RPI1 running my music server & pihole ad blocker. Wondering if I can add docker and teslamate

Reactions: vishnumrao

I feel like it would work, but might get a little questionable as the db grows. My pi4 isn't always the fastest, I'd guess that it'd be even more sluggish on a 1 with limited RAM.

Reactions: vishnumrao
I am ok to invest in newer hardware, but i already have existing older hardware that already runs a few useful applications. I am ok to run with some sluggishness and I am willing to put up with required debug etc.

But if it really overwhelms the older hardware, I will certainly get a newer RPI.

Reactions: jsight
Hmm. I was able to successfully install docker on the RPI1 using instructions linked from the teslamate docs page. I successfully ran the hello-world example. Why do you say docker won't run on the RPI1?

I haven't tried installing teslamate yet.
Just going by what was said in that linked page:
I don't think docker runs on raspi 1 (some cpu features missing). But don't take it for granted ;)
you should be able to make in run "on metal", though. You may also hit memory size.
@krezac is right. The model 1's and Zeros have the ARMv6 architecture. There are no base images for that architecture. That's why TM cannot support it, unfortunately. But as mentioned, manual installation should still be possible.

I am ok to invest in newer hardware, but i already have existing older hardware that already runs a few useful applications. I am ok to run with some sluggishness and I am willing to put up with required debug etc.

But if it really overwhelms the older hardware, I will certainly get a newer RPI.
Fair point. You could always migrate to something else. Probably component shortages will have subsided by the time you'll have a large enough DB to care about it.

Supposedly it will get better in the second half of the year.

Does teslamate require the home server to be on 24x7?

You are in THIS thread, so I assume this is not relevant :) ... but just in case:

TeslaFi records data in cloud, so doesn't require you to be running anything. You can download it (if you want to do something with it), or use TeslaFi as an alterative (depending on appetite for giving someone else keys-to-car and so on). I can see when the driver seat heater has been on since the day I bought the car ... and on the one before that.

You are in THIS thread, so I assume this is not relevant :) ... but just in case:

TeslaFi records data in cloud, so doesn't require you to be running anything. You can download it (if you want to do something with it), or use TeslaFi as an alterative (depending on appetite for giving someone else keys-to-car and so on). I can see when the driver seat heater has been on since the day I bought the car ... and on the one before that.
or run teslamate on google's free cloud and have the same just minus app :)

Last edited:
Reactions: goRt and init6