Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas And Cold Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a decent drive, I've really only seen a significant range impact when the outside temperatures are well before freezing point. One experience was driving across Kansas on I-70 with day-time highs in the teens (F) and that had about a 40% hit. (below -9C)
For short commutes, you never get over the overheads of heating up the car, and the reduction in regen, and the effect of a cold-soaked battery, even in cool British/Irish winter mornings. But you have lots of battery capacity to spare for your commuting needs.

I have to say I'm surprised and this suggests that the M3 may be a lot less cold sensitive than the S/X, which definitely do take a big hit in average UK winter conditions (sub 10 deg C but mostly above freezing)

I would. Having driven a Leaf 24 for two years, which had a maximum range of about 80 miles, as far as I’m concerned with EVs range is king. The more the better!

I think it depends on your personal usage. Once you get to a range of 200+ miles, for many people it can rapidly become far less of an issue than 80 miles! For me anything over 200 miles range is a non-issue and I've never had range anxiety with our MX 75D, which has less range than a standard range M3. For others it might not be enough of course.

Depends on your boiler, your gas supplier (gas tends to be cheaper than electricity, though), your garage (how well insulated it is, how many radiators, etc), how desperate you are for the extra range, whether charging mid-journey is possible for you...
Only you can answer that question, I'm afraid.

Would it be cheaper to install a radiator (gas central heating) in the garage to preheat the car or to use the car heater?
I've seen this discussed before, when someone was having a garage built and was considering including underfloor heating under the car (at that time I don't the battery heater came on when the cabin heaters were switched on via the app). In summary it's pretty wasteful and you don't gain a great deal in terms of energy savings. Although regen is limited in cold conditions it soon picks up once you're on the road and the car starts warming the battery.

The simplest, and most energy-efficient, thing to do is schedule the charging to complete just as you're about to set off. This way you're making use of the heat that would be generated by charging anyway.

Let me clarify, the problem with colder temperatures isn't that the car uses power to warm the batteries, it's that the batteries just aren't efficient when cold. When it gets really cold, the batteries just don't work well at all.

You'll see some folks trying to preheat the batteries, that's often because they want higher regen, which is honestly not a requirement or real need.

By finishing a charge just before you use it, the battery will be warmer.

No matter what, expect about 30% degradation of range when the weather is cold. During colder months, a LR Model 3, expect a range more like 220 miles instead of 320 miles.
Reduction please, not degradation. Degradation is a scary word.

I expect quite a big impact just by keeping car garaged overnight rather than parked outside - the garage itself doesn't have to be heated. If the car is not directly exposed to the outside elements, the preheating phase should be efficient.

I expect quite a big impact just by keeping car garaged overnight rather than parked outside - the garage itself doesn't have to be heated. If the car is not directly exposed to the outside elements, the preheating phase should be efficient.
We've seen the same. We insulated our garage it definitely stays warmer, even without a source of heat. The good news is that I don't think it's gone (much) below freezing since we insulated the garage. The bad news is that any snow on the car when we get home then melts so now we have to squeegee the water out of the garage instead of having snow on the garage floor. We do try to brush the cars off before parking them in the garage but in a good snowstorm, lots of snow accumulates that you won't be able to get off easily.

As others have mentioned, we just schedule charging to end right before we leave in the morning. We also use the seat heaters and a coat. We rarely have to use heat in the car except for the coldest of days. Then, we can preheat while the car is still charging.

I can't help but think that I'd quite like to use my EV in exactly the same way I used an ICE car...
Wearing a coat and not heating the cabin seems a bit too much.

Agreed. At the end of the day it’s a car, not a pet. Installing underfloor heating in the garage, wrapping the car in a blanket every night, reading it a bed time story etc seems like a massive inconvenience to me to extend the range by a few percent. Not what I’d want to do after splashing out £40K+ on brand new state-of-the-art car.

If budget was no issue I’d go for the long range model - forget FSD (Fake/Future Self Driving).

• Funny
Reactions: Peteski and Yev000
Reduction please, not degradation. Degradation is a scary word.

You know that the battery will degrade quite quickly though? Historical Tesla info shows maybe 3-6% quite quickly, maybe within a year, then it settles - I don't recall Model 3/2170 specifics, I suspect they will be similar. I think around 1% loss per year long term average is probably a fair assumption for a Tesla.

I can't help but think that I'd quite like to use my EV in exactly the same way I used an ICE car...
Wearing a coat and not heating the cabin seems a bit too much.

In the morning use your phone to tell to car to heat up while having breakfast so its toasty warm before you drive off. Typically takes only a few minutes.

Here in GA in the afternoon in the summer, different strategy of telling the car to cool down shortly before you get into it. Pleasantly cool in a few minutes.
Such are the benefits of a BEV :)

Reactions: Peteski
I've looked at my usage and decided to switch to LRAWD from SR+.

For a combination of factors such as:

1. Less range in winter
2. Sentry mode power consumption
3. Less range with non aeros.
4. 1st year battery degrading.
5. Low number of superchargers in Ireland. 99% of chargers here are only 50Kwh
6. I should be able to cover most journeys without stopping in a LRAWD, even in winter.

Reactions: MrBadger